• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    How does the Colt LE901 play into these comparisons? ~$2300 online currently is about in the same ballpark. Is its 308 upper compatible w/ others 308 lowers?

From what I have read, the uppers are not readily interchangeable between .308 rifles. One exception is DPMS and CMMG. Those are interchangeable, which is good because I like the DPMS uppers but have two CMMG lowers.

Next, I am going to have to see if I can find anybody that makes decent after market barrels for these uppers in .308.

amoebicmagician

Samopal Goblin
    Dec 26, 2012
    Columbia, MD
    Debating on getting an AR-10 and wondering which manufacturer to go with. I know that the parts are not interchangeable between the two, or at least between Rock River Arms and any others. I really like the bull barrels offered by DPMS in lieu of the CMMG barrels. Was wondering if anybody made any aftermarket barrels/uppers for CMMG, or am I stuck getting everything from one single manufacturer for an AR-10.

Somewhat crazy that the AR-15 is pretty much standard throughout manufacturers, but the AR-10 is not.

Go with the Rock River Arms, they are the best quality and the stainless they make their barrels out of is freaking incredible, the same stuff that ruger uses- Tehune Anticorro, nearly corrosion proof and almost as hard as hard chrome.

The quality on the RRA are amazing, just like their AR-15s. The fact is that no two company's ar-10s can interchange parts. There are many that you can kind of force it, but they are not meant to go together and will cause problems if mixed and matched, sometimes REALLLY BAD problems.

Bottom line is you're best off going with the one you're least likely to have to replace parts on, and that if you do has a good warranty.

RRA is the way to go, they are incredibly accurate.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Go with the Rock River Arms, they are the best quality and the stainless they make their barrels out of is freaking incredible, the same stuff that ruger uses- Tehune Anticorro, nearly corrosion proof and almost as hard as hard chrome.

The quality on the RRA are amazing, just like their AR-15s. The fact is that no two company's ar-10s can interchange parts. There are many that you can kind of force it, but they are not meant to go together and will cause problems if mixed and matched, sometimes REALLLY BAD problems.

Bottom line is you're best off going with the one you're least likely to have to replace parts on, and that if you do has a good warranty.

RRA is the way to go, they are incredibly accurate.

Hmmm... interesting, I didn't know that about their barrels.

I always thought their build quality is middle-of-road at best.

Doesn't the LAR-8 use FAL mags?

I'm not really sure why so many people refer to these guns as "AR-10s". They're really ARs chambered in 308; the true Armalite AR-10 is really a beast of it's own and has many dimensional differences from the newer "de facto" industry standard set by the SR-25 and DPMS LR308.

I used to have a Bushy LR308 MOE (middy) and currently have a SIG716. The SIG is an odd animal in that it uses a combination of Armalite spec parts and SR25/DPMS pattern parts.

In my experience, all of the mentioned above are heavy and oddly balanced in comparison to the SCAR17...

8b57d84a.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hmmm... interesting, I didn't know that about their barrels.

I always thought their build quality is middle-of-road at best.

Doesn't the LAR-8 use FAL mags?

I'm not really sure why so many people refer to these guns as "AR-10s". They're really ARs chambered in 308; the true Armalite AR-10 is really a beast of it's own and has many dimensional differences from the newer "de facto" industry standard set by the SR-25 and DPMS LR308.

I used to have a Bushy LR308 MOE (middy) and currently have a SIG716. The SIG is an odd animal in that it uses a combination of Armalite spec parts and SR25/DPMS pattern parts.

In my experience, all of the mentioned above are heavy and oddly balanced in comparison to the SCAR17...

From what I have read, there appear to be two different sets of .308 rifles that have some interchangeability.

In the JP nomenclature for hand guards, the “D” at the end of the part code refers to rifles using the DPMS LR-308 thread pattern on the upper receiver barrel collar. The “A” refers to rifles using the Armalite thread pattern, which includes the Bushmaster BAR-10 or Rock River LAR-8. JP hand guards using the letter “M” are only compatible with the AR-15/M16 platform and will not fit on any AR-10-type rifle.

http://www.jprifles.com/safety.php?document_id=53

For me, I am going to go with the CMMG/DPMS line because I like the DPMS upper and also because JP Rifles make a lot of parts for them AND JP Rifle barrels will work on them. For me, it is all about buying the lowers ahead of the potential SB281 ban and then slowly but surely building each and every one of them with JP components wherever possible.

If the JP Rifles were readily available right now AND my wife and I didn't feel like funding our retirement, I would buy a couple of them right now.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.2.1_CTR02.php

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have that stock on my match AR. That was the best idea for magazines ever when CTD had the magazines for $0.99 each. I stocked up with 30 of them.

I just sold my PTR91, but still have a ton of G3 mags I bought from CTD...

Wish I could use them in the SCAR. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom