• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Debating on getting an AR-10 and wondering which manufacturer to go with. I know that the parts are not interchangeable between the two, or at least between Rock River Arms and any others. I really like the bull barrels offered by DPMS in lieu of the CMMG barrels. Was wondering if anybody made any aftermarket barrels/uppers for CMMG, or am I stuck getting everything from one single manufacturer for an AR-10.

Somewhat crazy that the AR-15 is pretty much standard throughout manufacturers, but the AR-10 is not.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    ARMALITE /THREAD

To me there is no substitute and if you can swing the extra money get the Super S.A.S.S. it has all the bells and whistle upgrades.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    If you want an AR-10, then there is only one company that makes them: Armalite. If you want a "AR308", then you've got plenty of options like DPMS, Armalite, and CMMG. I prefer the DPMS pattern rifles because there seems to be more availability of parts and magazines for them. CMMG is a DPMS pattern rifle and all of the components will interchange.

As to brand, get the one with the features you want. DPMS' tend to have bad triggers but that is fixable, the rest of their guns tend to be pretty good for the money (although I don't know what they are selling for in the crazy market of today). CMMG makes a very nice billet lower and their barrels are well priced for the quality. So just buy the one that fits your tastes.

-Jim

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    If you want an AR-10, then there is only one company that makes them: Armalite. If you want a "AR308", then you've got plenty of options like DPMS, Armalite, and CMMG. I prefer the DPMS pattern rifles because there seems to be more availability of parts and magazines for them. CMMG is a DPMS pattern rifle and all of the components will interchange.

As to brand, get the one with the features you want. DPMS' tend to have bad triggers but that is fixable, the rest of their guns tend to be pretty good for the money (although I don't know what they are selling for in the crazy market of today). CMMG makes a very nice billet lower and their barrels are well priced for the quality. So just buy the one that fits your tastes.

-Jim

That is music to my ears. So, I could run a DPMS upper and barrel on a CMMG MK-3 lower then. Is that correct? That would make the selection process really easy.

ZX672

Feb 21, 2010
    Olney
    Very happy with my LMT MWS, but it is a beast (heavy). I have also shot a LaRue OBR with fantastic results. It may be worth your time researching those rifles as well if they are within your price range.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Not Armalite. They sell to LEOs and Feds in ban states.

:tdown:

If you want a heavy barrel I would go with the DPMS LR308 (best value) or Fulton Armory Titan. While Armalite was the original AR10, it has a lot of parts (receivers, bolt, carrier, FCG) that aren't compatible with the SR25 and DPMS patterned guns that are dominating the market.

Not to mention Armalite's political stance...

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    CMMG makes some nice 308s, but when I was shopping around the first time (bought a Bushy middy MOE) I found a few You Tube videos where folks were complaining about dimensional compatibility issues between the SR25/DPMS parts and the CMMG lower receiver.

Something to note, these guns are HEAVY.

mtel

Ultimate Member
    Dec 21, 2012
    Virginia
    Larue

/thread

Agreed, simply because of the weight factor alone. I'll be picking up an AR pattern .308 shortly and if money were no issue, it'd be the PredatAR. Can't beat 7.75lbs unloaded.

This is the reason I'm considering the AR-10A as my second choice. 7.75lbs for the non-PMag version and 7.9 lbs for the PMag version.

Nothing else seems to come close weight-wise besides the SCAR 17...I guess it depends on someone's philosophy of use for it but I'd want it to be as mobile as possible.

Last edited:

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    I bought a DPMS 308 on a whim, and was surprised at how nice it is for the money. I have been very happy with it.

DPMSRECON308.jpg

The only change I've made is a Timney 3lb trigger. Even the suppressor quick detach came stock on the rifle.

If you are interested in spending more, I'd look at JP Rifles- light weight, well made, and bolt gun accurate. Otherwise, the DPMS is a good value.

115.jpg

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I bought a DPMS 308 on a whim, and was surprised at how nice it is for the money. I have been very happy with it.

DPMSRECON308.jpg

The only change I've made is a Timney 3lb trigger. Even the suppressor quick detach came stock on the rifle.

If you are interested in spending more, I'd look at JP Rifles- light weight, well made, and bolt gun accurate. Otherwise, the DPMS is a good value.

115.jpg

Already know about JP Rifles and LaRue. Both are on the really high side price wise. If money wasn't an issue, then I would end up having several JP's. I really like their rifles. Wonder if they would even be able to get one to me before October 1, 2013 should SB281 pass.

I was looking at JP's website last night, then did a search on gunbroker for one. Found a used one for $3k and another limited edition one for $8.5k. Yeah, I think my wife would kill me. Might be able to get the $3k one passed her. $8.5k would result in a trip to the hospital.

Prior to this entire Newtown tragedy, JP had a program where you could send in a stripped lower and it would build the entire rifle for you. Have no idea if they could do this with a CMMG or DPMS lower, but if they could I would eventually go that route.

The entire incompatibility of parts between .308 AR style rifles is killing me.

coopermania

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 20, 2011
    Indiana
    Not Armalite. They sell to LEOs and Feds in ban states.

OMG,,, Please,,, maybe you should Googlefu.
    Smith & Wesson and Bill Clinton in the year 2000
    I don't think you are going to see any large firearm manufacturer step away from LEO or Feds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom