• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Urban1ninja

Aug 16, 2017
    as Licensed insurance agent, working for numerous companies, none of the ones i have worked for ever asked about assault or full auto weapons. Home owner policies do include coverage for firearms and i would ask my clients if the coverage included was sufficient or if they needed more coverage. the only time i would ask what they had was out of personal curiosity and was not necessary to write a policy, unless it was a personal article policy which is a different type of policy that will cover specific items on a scheduled basis. For a personal article policy, the type of gun (make and model) was necessary as well as the serial number for establishing that it was that specific gun that you were insuring.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    Reminds me of a post by Safecracker which I can't find, showing the contents of a gun safe he had to open after a fire. All that was left inside were charred barrels and receivers. Unless it's a high dollar safe the fire rating is minimal. Consider this when insuring your guns.

By the way, what happened to Safecracker? Should be in the MIA members thread.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    To throw my five cents in:

I've carried a separate policy specifically for my firearms for a few years now. The company I use, Collectibles Insurance Services is great. It's a stated value policy, so there's no requirement to enumerate of have appraised all of my stuff. I keep a personal spreadsheet which I update periodically with a list including values of what I've got. (You do have to enumerate for a policy of more than $25,000.) I haven't had to make a claim, but people who have generally say that the process is really easy, and they do replacement value. Their prices are good also.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Unfortunately they exclude coverage for the most likely means of loss in the Age of ERPO: seizure by the State. Does anyone offer coverage for losses due to theft under color of law?

That's true, but I don't know that you'll find any policy (other than maaaaaayyyybe an umbrella policy of some sort) that will cover seizure, because in the past, a firearms seizure would have meant that you'd committed a crime of some sort.

Policies like this are (I think, at least) a really good option for anyone who has more than one or two guns so that the value of their collection wouldn't be properly covered by homeowner's insurance. I also like having a separate policy rather than a rider on homeowner's because as I said there's no requirement for enumeration or giving them a list by serial number or anything like that.

EdHershon

Oct 2, 2018
    Annapolis
    I've had homeowners on two residences for over 20 years and have NEVER been asked about any firearms not by StateFarm or Allstate. I also have never been asked by at least two different auto umbrella policies. My umbrella has about 40 risk questions and that is not one of them.

Had you volunteered you have firearms? My policy does not exclude them so theft or fire/casualty loss of mine are covered without me saying a word to them whihc I greatly prefer.

I would never volunteer they are liable to put you in some other (higher) liability risk and price category and you have no way to know if they can share that info.

There are several definitions of "assault rifle", but I would assert I am not responsible to figure out ever definition and select fire is one. I would say "no" given there are valid definitions that say an assault rifle is select fire.

if you shop around it is not difficult to find competitive prices I would pick an insurance company that does not ask this. I also would <b>never</b> answer this question over the phone, but stop right there and rather than decline to answer, or lie, do neither, and say "my boss has called me into a meeting" or "I can't hear you" and ask to get a form with their risk questions by mail

The problem here is what is the definition of “assault weapon”? An insurance policy is nothing more than a contract. Read the policy to see what is described as an “assault weapon”. If it’s not defined you can answer no. If there is an issue down the road, you can claim that the policy was ambiguous and as it was the insurance company who drafted the policy it will be construed against them.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    as Licensed insurance agent, working for numerous companies, none of the ones i have worked for ever asked about assault or full auto weapons. Home owner policies do include coverage for firearms and i would ask my clients if the coverage included was sufficient or if they needed more coverage. the only time i would ask what they had was out of personal curiosity and was not necessary to write a policy, unless it was a personal article policy which is a different type of policy that will cover specific items on a scheduled basis. For a personal article policy, the type of gun (make and model) was necessary as well as the serial number for establishing that it was that specific gun that you were insuring.

Relying on your expertise (or others who can weigh in)...is it possible that certain "inaccuracies" whether they are deliberate lies or not, may result in a denial of coverage in the event of a loss? What I am getting at is, how careful do you have to be when applying for insurance?

hi3cho

Ultimate Member
    Nov 16, 2012
    Edgemere
    If I recall correctly the definition "dictionary wise" of a assault rifle was recently amended. I don't think you can be held to knowing that because I don't believe its even correct.

noun: any of various intermediate-range, magazine-fed military rifles (such as the AK-47) that can be set for automatic or semiautomatic fire; also : a rifle that resembles a military assault rifle but is designed to allow only semiautomatic fire

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom