• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    I'm looking to get an AR 9mm upper that simply works. The only ones I see from retailers is PSA and I'm not looking to do QC for them... I've got a normal AR lower I want to use, and can get Colt magazines and mag insert.

Looking for the most common variant that would have max compatibility with user replaceable parts, specifically BCG etc., so probably straight blowback with a normal charging handle, not side-charger and not some proprietary delayed blowback system. Or is there no such thing as a "common" 9mm BCG?

I have seen Clandestine write in the past that Colt mags are easier to make work on the platform vs Glock mags, so going with that unless this has changed... Can I expect functional bolt lock back on empty mag with a Colt mag and magwell insert?

Is there a reliable go-to people use for a 7"-9" bbl 9mm upper that works out of the box without smithing?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using Tapatalk

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    A1Uniform has at least 1 9mm complete original colt upper in stock. It’s SBR/Pistol size. I don’t remember the exact size.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As far as the upper goes, nothing much needed. Just match a 9mm bolt to your FCG(as in ramped bolt or not). Other than that, put a heavy buffer(7oz or more) and a heavy(AR10) buffer spring in your lower. You be GTG.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I'm looking to get an AR 9mm upper that simply works. The only ones I see from retailers is PSA and I'm not looking to do QC for them... I've got a normal AR lower I want to use, and can get Colt magazines and mag insert.

Looking for the most common variant that would have max compatibility with user replaceable parts, specifically BCG etc., so probably straight blowback with a normal charging handle, not side-charger and not some proprietary delayed blowback system. Or is there no such thing as a "common" 9mm BCG?

I have seen Clandestine write in the past that Colt mags are easier to make work on the platform vs Glock mags, so going with that unless this has changed... Can I expect functional bolt lock back on empty mag with a Colt mag and magwell insert?

Is there a reliable go-to people use for a 7"-9" bbl 9mm upper that works out of the box without smithing?

I have 2. My first is a Colt pattern lower (DDLES, now QC-10). Has a CMMG bolt, TROS 5” 3-lug barrel - not an option today, I know - AR-10 Tubbs spring, Q9 heavy buffer. SSA-E trigger. Clandestine did his reliability package on it. Never have a problem unless it gets very dirty, then a squirt of oil fixes it.

I have a CMMG Guard bolt/barrel. It is one of those proprietary systems, but it’s CMMG. 8” barrel. It is attached to a Glock 80% lower as a pistol.

Let me tell you why I like the CMMG Guard better. It takes a standard buffer. Standard buffer spring. There is significantly less weight of the gun. Significantly less felt recoil. Significantly less crud in the chamber when shooting because of the delayed blowback. It’s a better system. Period. Been 100% reliable. CMMG is a big company. I don’t think there is a big risk there

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Check with Olympic Arms...they have a sale going on with complete uppers going for $399. I'm going to get an upper in 10mm to use with my M4 Carbine in .45 ACP. What I don't know is if it's only carbine length uppers on sale or pistol length. Contact them and ask. If they can do it they can ship it straight to you.

http://www.olyarms.com

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    As far as the upper goes, nothing much needed. Just match a 9mm bolt to your FCG(as in ramped bolt or not). Other than that, put a heavy buffer(7oz or more) and a heavy(AR10) buffer spring in your lower. You be GTG.

Chad set my 9mm AR up with a Tubbs 308 flate wire buffer spring and a Heavy Buffers, 12.5 ounce buffer. I shoot the gun suppressed most of the time and it cycles subs with no issues :thumbsup:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Chad set my 9mm AR up with a Tubbs 308 flate wire buffer spring and a Heavy Buffers, 12.5 ounce buffer. I shoot the gun suppressed most of the time and it cycles subs with no issues
    I've got a couple and I only shoot subs. Never had a problem. I think the trouble starts when people shoot supers through AR9s. I've never tried. I only shoot 147s.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Built a few, typically sticking with the same brand of receivers, bolt and barrel will keep you out of trouble. I like QC10 and outside of a LRBHO that isn't quite 100%, they run well. Have had good luck with Foxtrot Mike too, although had to swap barrels to his "revised" chamber specs to feed 100% with taper crimped ammo(handloads, some FMJ and defensive HP), he sent one for $80 shipped. The FM lower is awesome, only GLOCK mag LRBHO that works 100% with every mag. For Colt mags, Hahn bottom load mag blocks, and KAK blocks may need a small tweak, but run well once set up. Blowback generally will run reliably with very heavy buffers and springs, but you can sometimes get away with lighter weights if you aren't running really hot ammo. I only run a 5.5oz buffer and carbine spring in my 16" PCC match carbine, cycles fast and soft with lighter 9mm. I've run hotter defensive ammo in others, found an 8oz buffer and Tubb spring give better results in my 7" pistol, less gas from the port, less "slap" and good function.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    You gonna suppress it?

You building it as a pistol with a brace, carbine, or SBR? EDIT, I see it's going to be a pistol. What buffer setup? Just a tube or Brace?

The most reliable bolt lock is to use a Hahn adaptor (without the Llbolt catch device) and use a Colt long tabbed 9mm bolt catch. Personally I prefer to avoid the bolt catches on 9mm AR's as they tend to take a beating.

What's your budget?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You gonna suppress it?

You building it as a pistol with a brace, carbine, or SBR?

The most reliable bolt lock is to use a Hahn adaptor (without the Llbolt catch device) and use a Colt long tabbed 9mm bolt catch. Personally I prefer to avoid the bolt catches on 9mm AR's as they tend to take a beating.

What's your budget?

I’m going to drop off my CMMG build. You fondle it a while and see how you feel.

CodeWarrior1241

Sep 23, 2013
    Lutherville
    OK... Might have to revisit the CMMG delayed blowback option then. Do those typically need smithing as well or are they gtg out of the box?

Looking for this to be a pistol with brace and bbl <10". I own no suppressors at present, but my intent is to have something that can accommodate one and alternatively shoot supersonic 115gr also. Is this realistic, again without a lot of tuning?

Guess bolt hold open is not realistic, shame about that but certainly good to know, thanks Chad!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom