How prepared are you for a home invasion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    I actually X2 this.

I’m more worried about dying from an asteroid than i am a home invasion

Excited to move to a part of the state where I feel this way lol those of us living in the city (especially in the bad part like me) have a very different experience, sadly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    After buying a gun for home protection, I developed a discipline to improve my chances of responding. First, I have a safe under my bed that pops open when my RFID bracelet touches it. Inside are a loaded 9mm handgun and an extra mag. I ritualized as follows:
    • Every morning when my alarm sounds, I pop the safe, then grab the gun and the magazine. This simulates operating under conditions where I'm suddenly awakened and sleep-addled.
    • I tuck the extra mag into my underwear waist band (cold!) and move to a position that's safe to raise the gun (specifically, where the backstop is NOT my kid's rooms).
    • The gun has night sights. I practice moving while maintaining the sights. I would stop at the stairs because it's a choke point. But my kid's rooms lie beyond that.
    • I clear two rooms as I pass them going to the kid's rooms.
    • I scan across the stairs, "slicing" my view as I move.
    • Last I return and change the mag several times in the dark. I drop the mag on the floor randomly and pick it up, orienting it solely by feel.

Fortunately no else is awake except the cat. I try not to muzzle him, but he's not predictable. :)

I'd like to develop a similar routine for daytime with a safe near the main entry.

Why move while looking through the sights? That means your arms are out, aiming. Someone can grab you.
    Keep it at the high ready. You can easily shoot from that position. Also if you use your support hand to open a door or use a light, you don't want that strong hand arm and gun pointing out there to be grabbed.

You don't have to "Slice the pie" at the top of the steps. Quick peek around and down would suffice. And then continue on.

Why waste time "clearing" those 2 rooms on your way to the kid?

My advice would be to drag the other half with you from the bedroom, make a B line to the kid's room, and hold your defense right there.

Home invasions are a changing, fluid situation. Your actual movements shouldn't be choreographed, because that is what you would most likely stick to. Don't stick to a script when someone else is going to be changing it.
    The safety of the family is the goal.

If you aren't trained or have experience in clearing rooms and "slicing the pie", it wouldn't behoove you to get into a fight and possibly lose before gathering the family together.
    Hunker down inside a room and wait for the threat to come through that door.

My .02

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So I’m fairly new here...could someone please point me to the thread that covers those of us who like to sleep au natural? And just for clarification, the back door is closed...not an option for a 17 round Glock mag.

*****Back door is closed for a measly 17 round Glock mag!!!???? It's not like a 33 round extended mag or one of the AS-007 mags with depleted Uranus rounds or anything!!! Don't be a P*ssy and man up! :lol:

(BTW, the answer to your query is in the ASS-007 thread, immediately behind the AS-007 thread. ) :thumbsup:

Good ass question though! No doubt others on this thread were thinking the exact same thing but were afraid to ask!

[Kev308]

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 23, 2020
    Maryland
    Those of you wanting to turn your lights on may want to rethink that part of the plan. They don't know the layout of your house in the dark like you do.
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried.

Running to the source of commotion may not be the best plan either. It may be fine if you are going to the end of a hallway(I prefer the threat to come down the fatal funnel) where you know it's secure, or at the top of the steps. I'm not leaving a loved one alone to fend for themselves. Nor do I want to play word games and voice recognition crap should I need to re-enter the room I left where they might be armed.

If you have people in other rooms(kids), you plan may be to both mom and Dad leave the room, gather kids up as you go and take up defense in the last kids' room.

Or just grab your favorite kid and bring him back to your room :)

Why move while looking through the sights? That means your arms are out, aiming. Someone can grab you.
    Keep it at the high ready. You can easily shoot from that position. Also if you use your support hand to open a door or use a light, you don't want that strong hand arm and gun pointing out there to be grabbed.

You don't have to "Slice the pie" at the top of the steps. Quick peek around and down would suffice. And then continue on.

My advice would be to drag the other half with you from the bedroom, make a B line to the kid's room, and hold your defense right there.

Home invasions are a changing, fluid situation. Your actual movements shouldn't be choreographed, because that is what you would most likely stick to. Don't stick to a script when someone else is going to be changing it.

If you aren't trained or have experience in clearing rooms and "slicing the pie", it wouldn't behoove you to get into a fight and possibly lose before gathering the family together.

My .02
    Very good advice.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    *****Back door is closed for a measly 17 round Glock mag!!!???? It's not like a 33 round extended mag or one of the AS-007 mags with depleted Uranus rounds or anything!!! Don't be a P*ssy and man up! :lol:

(BTW, the answer to your query is in the ASS-007 thread, immediately behind the AS-007 thread. ) :thumbsup:

Good ass question though! No doubt others on this thread were thinking the exact same thing but were afraid to ask!

I thought that the AS-007 thread was locked. The ASS-007 thread makes sense in that case. :thumbsup: Indeed!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Those of you wanting to turn your lights on may want to rethink that part of the plan. They don't know the layout of your house in the dark like you do.
    Also turning those lights on will ruin your night vision too. You can easily make use of ambient light from windows and also you won't ruin your night vision if you light them up with your good quality flashlight, weapon mounted or carried.

Running to the source of commotion may not be the best plan either. It may be fine if you are going to the end of a hallway(I prefer the threat to come down the fatal funnel) where you know it's secure, or at the top of the steps. I'm not leaving a loved one alone to fend for themselves. Nor do I want to play word games and voice recognition crap should I need to re-enter the room I left where they might be armed.

If you have people in other rooms(kids), you plan may be to both mom and Dad leave the room, gather kids up as you go and take up defense in the last kids' room.

Or just grab your favorite kid and bring him back to your room :)

I'm certainty no an expert in this category, but I've stumbled around in the dark in my own home with the lights off. I keep a flashlight beside my bed and my pistol has a mounted light too. One of my biggest fears is that I mistakenly point a loaded pistol at a family member if I'm somehow startled. It seems like that would be less likely to happen if the lights were on.

I'm guessing that if someone breaks in to steel something, thinking nobody is home, and all of the lights come on, they'll likely bug out. Also even though the camera has some sort of night vision capabilities, it's a lot easier to see the faces of someone walking through my house and determine if they are someone that I do not know and someone that I should be prepared to shoot as soon as the bedroom door is breeched.

Uber

Mar 20, 2021
    Gaithersburg

My .02

I have no illusions about home invasions being anything other than fluid. The benefit from my ritual isn't a choreographed, one-size-fits all defense. It's the repetition of techniques that might be called upon in such a fluid situation and therefore should be practiced until they're automatic.

For example, you could argue, "Why practice picking up the magazine in the dark? In a real scenario you're unlikely to load a second magazine anyway?" That's true. But I practice a superset of likely techniques, more than I mentioned. And I now have 200+ repetitions of those techniques coming out of the "fog" of sleep.

Consider withholding criticism if you don't know the specifics. I move over a 25 foot open space while looking through the sights. I clear the rooms to get repetitions entering properly--pistol set back to avoid being grabbed, correct foot leading as I enter a corner-fed room, etc. I practice opening a door with a knob and a door latched from the top without muzzling my arm. Etc. etc.

If this were an actual home invasion, I will be taking audible and visual cues and I hope reacting with at least some relevant practice.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have no illusions about home invasions being anything other than fluid. The benefit from my ritual isn't a choreographed, one-size-fits all defense. It's the repetition of techniques that might be called upon in such a fluid situation and therefore should be practiced until they're automatic.

For example, you could argue, "Why practice picking up the magazine in the dark? In a real scenario you're unlikely to load a second magazine anyway?" That's true. But I practice a superset of likely techniques, more than I mentioned. And I now have 200+ repetitions of those techniques coming out of the "fog" of sleep.

Consider withholding criticism if you don't know the specifics. I move over a 25 foot open space while looking through the sights. I clear the rooms to get repetitions entering properly--pistol set back to avoid being grabbed, correct foot leading as I enter a corner-fed room, etc. I practice opening a door with a knob and a door latched from the top without muzzling my arm. Etc. etc.

If this were an actual home invasion, I will be taking audible and visual cues and I hope reacting with at least some relevant practice.
    Good luck

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    After buying a gun for home protection, I developed a discipline to improve my chances of responding. First, I have a safe under my bed that pops open when my RFID bracelet touches it. Inside are a loaded 9mm handgun and an extra mag. I ritualized as follows:
    • Every morning when my alarm sounds, I pop the safe, then grab the gun and the magazine. This simulates operating under conditions where I'm suddenly awakened and sleep-addled.
    • I tuck the extra mag into my underwear waist band (cold!) and move to a position that's safe to raise the gun (specifically, where the backstop is NOT my kid's rooms).
    • The gun has night sights. I practice moving while maintaining the sights. I would stop at the stairs because it's a choke point. But my kid's rooms lie beyond that.
    • I clear two rooms as I pass them going to the kid's rooms.
    • I scan across the stairs, "slicing" my view as I move.
    • Last I return and change the mag several times in the dark. I drop the mag on the floor randomly and pick it up, orienting it solely by feel.

Fortunately no else is awake except the cat. I try not to muzzle him, but he's not predictable. :)

I'd like to develop a similar routine for daytime with a safe near the main entry.
    Sweep you say?

Attachments

• 5b6117166dd19.jpg
      5b6117166dd19.jpg
      69.8 KB · Views: 285

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    Speaking of B&E’s...

https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail_Pol.aspx?Item_ID=35145

For those who don’t click links:

“ Officers from the 5th District have arrested and charged a 16-year-old male from Germantown with the burglary of twelve homes in Germantown. The suspect was arrested after he attempted to flee from officers who were investigating a burglary. Detectives determined that this suspect committed eleven additional residential burglaries in the same area between late March and April 15.

On Thursday, April 15, at approximately 4:25 a.m., the Emergency Communication Center received a call from a resident of a home in the 17700 block of Cricket Hill Drive reporting a burglary in progress at his home. The resident stated that he observed a suspect, wearing all dark clothing, walking around the home.

Responding officers observed the suspect walking around the basement. The suspect attempted to flee via the front door and was immediately arrested by officers. Officers located jewelry on the suspect that detectives later determined that the suspect had stolen from a package delivered to a home on Stone Hollow Drive.

During the investigation of the Cricket Hill Drive burglary, officers were notified of an attempted residential burglary that had occurred at approximately 2:17 a.m. at a nearby home in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace. The resident of the Ansel Terrace home stated to officers that home security video captured a suspect attempting to enter the home through a rear door. The suspect did not gain entry and fled. The suspect seen on the Ansel Terrace home surveillance video was wearing the same clothing as the juvenile suspect.

During the investigation by detectives, the suspect was determined to have committed the following additional residential burglaries in Germantown:

March 25 – 18000 block of Wheatridge Drive.

March 31 – 12900 block of McCubbin Lane.

March 31 – 18100 block of Stags Leap Terrace.

April 12 – 13500 block of Ansel Terrace.

April 14 – 12500 block of Sanderling Place.

April 15 – three additional burglaries in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace

April 15 – 12900 block of Barleycorn Terrace

April 15 – 17800 block of Marble Hill Place

The suspect was charged as a juvenile with multiple counts of burglary-related offenses and released to the custody of his mother.”

oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    I have no illusions about home invasions being anything other than fluid...

Totally makes sense and if you have a regimen that is building skills you can safely ignore the noisemakers. No practice is perfect and what you do might make no sense to someone else and vice versa. Keep doing your thing

Rich1911

Ultimate Member
    Mar 8, 2012
    Speaking of B&E’s...

https://www2.montgomerycountymd.gov/mcgportalapps/Press_Detail_Pol.aspx?Item_ID=35145

For those who don’t click links:

“ Officers from the 5th District have arrested and charged a 16-year-old male from Germantown with the burglary of twelve homes in Germantown. The suspect was arrested after he attempted to flee from officers who were investigating a burglary. Detectives determined that this suspect committed eleven additional residential burglaries in the same area between late March and April 15.

On Thursday, April 15, at approximately 4:25 a.m., the Emergency Communication Center received a call from a resident of a home in the 17700 block of Cricket Hill Drive reporting a burglary in progress at his home. The resident stated that he observed a suspect, wearing all dark clothing, walking around the home.

Responding officers observed the suspect walking around the basement. The suspect attempted to flee via the front door and was immediately arrested by officers. Officers located jewelry on the suspect that detectives later determined that the suspect had stolen from a package delivered to a home on Stone Hollow Drive.

During the investigation of the Cricket Hill Drive burglary, officers were notified of an attempted residential burglary that had occurred at approximately 2:17 a.m. at a nearby home in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace. The resident of the Ansel Terrace home stated to officers that home security video captured a suspect attempting to enter the home through a rear door. The suspect did not gain entry and fled. The suspect seen on the Ansel Terrace home surveillance video was wearing the same clothing as the juvenile suspect.

During the investigation by detectives, the suspect was determined to have committed the following additional residential burglaries in Germantown:

March 25 – 18000 block of Wheatridge Drive.

March 31 – 12900 block of McCubbin Lane.

March 31 – 18100 block of Stags Leap Terrace.

April 12 – 13500 block of Ansel Terrace.

April 14 – 12500 block of Sanderling Place.

April 15 – three additional burglaries in the 13500 block of Ansel Terrace

April 15 – 12900 block of Barleycorn Terrace

April 15 – 17800 block of Marble Hill Place

The suspect was charged as a juvenile with multiple counts of burglary-related offenses and released to the custody of his mother.”

Probably gave him some milk and cookies, read him a bedtime story and turned him loose the next morning...

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    [Kev308];6294080 said:
    How prepared are you actually for a home invasion? Last night I had a scenario where the cold hard facts slapped me in the face. My wife and kids were asleep, I had just laid my head down for a few minutes and I was already in la la land. Suddenly I hear the front door shaking violently. "WTF is that!?" I sit up in my bed for a second and the sound continues and I think, "f&%k this is the real deal! I need my glasses!" I grab my glasses. "Which gun do I grab? What if it's one of the kids? Damnit the guns are locked up and it's dark!" So my instinct was to run towards the noise unarmed like a berserker and either football tackle someone or confirm it was a break in and retreat and unlock my safe.

It ended up being my dog having a seizure in his crate in the living room. I figured it out halfway when running into the room cuz he had had one a week ago and at the time I wondered what it would sound like if he had one while in his crate.

I give my performance a 3/10. One for actually finding my glasses and two for not being a total chicken shit.:sad20:

Guess that would depend on who is doing the home invasion...

Attachments

• 20200923_125301.jpg
      20200923_125301.jpg
      55 KB · Views: 256
    • 20201102_074718.jpg
      20201102_074718.jpg
      82.2 KB · Views: 272
    • IMG_20200626_081524.jpg
      IMG_20200626_081524.jpg
      59.1 KB · Views: 265
    • IMG_20181010_174523.jpg
      IMG_20181010_174523.jpg
      14.3 KB · Views: 263

EKKG

Nov 13, 2019
    Being awakened to a door being kicked in is not being prepared. You really need something to alert you to the threat before it gets to that point. Todays security cameras don't miss much, but you have to be diligent to make sure they are working properly. The system I have has a little bit of AI so it can determine between vehicle, person, small animals and the wind. Not 100%, but I have to say that I'm impressed. I have been awakened by false alarms and it is a pain, but it will be worth it if it gives me an edge. I work a at home, during the day, I have a monitor in my office will all feeds from the six cameras on my property, a also have a monitor in the basement as well. If I get an alert on my phone, I just look at the monitor and I know within seconds, friend or foe. I think a dog would be pretty good too, but that's not in the cards right now. FYI, a small pad lock on your gates will easily deter the people who are just looking for stuff you left outside or to get into your shed. What we have been seeing in our neighborhood is a lot of daytime grab and go, a neighbor had some jeep wheels laying loose on his driveway, a couple of men drove up, jumped out with the doors left open, grabbed the wheels, threw them in the back seat and they were gone. The wheels were found at a local pawn shop a day later, sitting right out in front of the store. We are also experiencing late night crooks who are looking for unlocked cars. I think these types of crimes are going to get much worse going forward, not so sure about the home invasion aspect, I think we all need to practice these scenarios. Someone told me once that it's hard to prepare yourself for what it would actually be like to fire a .357 in your house and in the dark, the sound, the flash, the adrenaline, very disorienting. There must be places where you can go and practice these types of scenarios, maybe someone here knows of such a place. Be safe and God Bless

Ponder_MD

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2020
    Maryland
    My experiences and research have led me to the conclusion that there are "levels of persistence" with home invaders. Some of it is based upon their intent.

Casual thieves are easily deterred by alarm signs, security lights, locks and other physical deterrents.
    More determined thieves will surveil a place to determine if it has high value assets and to determine the habits of the occupants and what security measures the thieves need to mitigate.
    Often, these two classes will abandon an intrusion if lights and alarms go off or there is any indication that occupants are awake and alert to their presence.

Then, you start getting into the mentally ill and deviant-

Killers, rapists, the mentally unhinged.
    These people are often undeterred by signage, lights or alarms. They'll just keep coming at you with the idea that they'll get what they want before they meet significant resistance or authorities arrive or, they're so high or mentally unbalanced that they just don't care about any consequences.

My experience being tied up at gunpoint taught me this: Even having a handgun tucked under my pillow wouldn't have saved me. I woke up covered by a handgun and had zero opportunity to even move.

You've got to have layers. You've got to have notification that someone is violating those layers. Without it, firearms are meaningless. Everyone has their preferences and everyone's home situation is unique so arguing about those layers is fairly pointless. There are general guidelines that countless military or private security operations have made public so that we can adapt them to our unique circumstances.

Just this week in Maryland, two teens followed a woman home, waited for her to go to sleep, entered her home and killed her. They were just looking for stuff to steal.

In my opinion, young teens are every bit as dangerous as an older thug with a long rap sheet. Their minds are not yet fully formed and they have not yet developed a respect for human life (if they ever will). To them, life is just a video game. They'll kill someone and not realize how heinous it is, until too late (if they ever learn). Literally, "they know not what they do." Because of this, I will *never* shirk from killing a minor in self-defense if that minor is wielding a firearm.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Best $80 bucks I EVER spent.... (I have two. One on my front door, and One on the back.) I have them because I own guns (The few I have left after the houseboat sank in 500 feet of water). Only a few people know, but you never can tell who they might blab to, and I'd like to keep them all. If they DO get in, they will have to deal with Jet. The pure-black GSD with an attitude.

https://www.amazon.com/Nightlock-Se...ocphy=9061285&hvtargid=pla-661244600071&psc=1

Not perfect, but will give you the extra time to wake up and clear your head. Won't help if they are coming in through a window tho...

Last edited:

Cobol2Java

Feb 10, 2020
    Lothian
    I keep my Ruger LC9s on my nightstand, unless the grandkids are visiting, and then I keep it in my biometric locked pistol safe - next to my bed.

There are other things you need to do to help discourage home invasions, such as motion-detection lights outside the house. And things we sometimes neglect, like locking storm doors (I used to leave them unlocked until I took a home invasion survival course from Freestate Gun Range). Home invasion people look for the easiest target; if your home doesn't look worth the trouble, they'll likely move on to another.

TangoSierra27

MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2017
    FOREST HILL
    I am always armed, at home, out shopping, wherever I go. In the house are several firearms I can reach if need be. These firearms are secure so that my grandchildren can't possibly get to or at them. Always prepared for the next lil green men invasion or a friend I haven't met yet and don't want too know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Stew

Latest threads

Top Bottom