Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Handguns
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old May 12th, 2021, 06:03 PM #71

Good choosin’. Despite the naysayers every 1911 I bought has run right out of the box.
I, too, have a difficult time with the Glock grip angle and it’s tiny trigger guard window. I can’t deny the Glock is a good gun. I also don’t care for poly pistols in general...a personal non-preference.
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:07 PM #72

Hey man if you want to truly go balls to the wall and flex on pretty much everyone you will meet, the Laugo Alien is in stock at Lancer Tactical
Ikaros240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 06:55 PM #73

[QUOTE=Bullfrog;6315778]The Beretta 96 is the .40 s&w variant, as is the Taurus PT 100 & 101. Unfortunately I don't believe you'll find a .45 acp version of either.

I may have not heard him correctly then on the 96, he may have also been wrong, he was the same guy that said the Kimber commander was stainless steel. Yeah I've been looking around and it seems the Taurus 92 is only in the 9mm and I think I saw one in 380 ACP. I would be happy with the 9 or the 380 version of the Taurus. Everyone tells me the 40 S&W is a good round but they also say it's expensive, that the 45 and 9mm are cheaper and provide a similar shooting experience and ballistic.
m.ammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 08:01 PM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.ammer69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
The Beretta 96 is the .40 s&w variant, as is the Taurus PT 100 & 101. Unfortunately I don't believe you'll find a .45 acp version of either.
I may have not heard him correctly then on the 96, he may have also been wrong, he was the same guy that said the Kimber commander was stainless steel. Yeah I've been looking around and it seems the Taurus 92 is only in the 9mm and I think I saw one in 380 ACP. I would be happy with the 9 or the 380 version of the Taurus.
The PT100 and 101 are the .40 cal version of the PT92, but I don't know how common they are, or if they are even still made. I considered buying one many years ago. It looks like there is a .380 version, the PT58. I wasn't aware of that one.

My first handgun was a Taurus PT1911, and I've had a good experience with it, but many others have complained about problems with Taurus handguns. It seems they can make good quality products, but with not so good QC, so the results can be hit or miss. I'm not sure I would recommend one unless someone was buying it for a range toy and already had a reliable option for home defense use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.ammer69 View Post
Everyone tells me the 40 S&W is a good round but they also say it's expensive, that the 45 and 9mm are cheaper and provide a similar shooting experience and ballistic.
I have all 3. .45 is not cheaper than .40, at least in normal times. Now it depends mostly upon what you can find. As far as price, the differences are not that great, but 9mm is cheaper than .40 s&w which is cheaper than .45.

The differences in shooting experiences are not all that much either, but they are noticable. .40 has a snappier recoil than 9mm. .45 also has more recoil than 9m, but its more of a push than a snap.

Since you seem to be looking mostly at full sized, steel or alloy framed handguns, recoil is probably not going to be a significant problem with any of the three.

I still suggest you check out a few CZ's. It sounds like we have similar tastes... my first handgun purchase was a toss up between a 1911, Beretta 92, and Sig P226. After a lot of other purchases, including more 1911s, a P226, and a P229, I still like all of those very much; but if I could have only one handgun it would be a CZ P-01.
Bullfrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2021, 10:20 PM #75
Certified Grump

Certified Grump

I'm with the don't like Glocks crowd. Still, I own a 17 and a 19, because they are so common and I can expect parts to be available for them for pretty much forever. They are accurate and reliable. But they are also kinda icky. Actually...I don't really like any striker fired pistol (I also have a SIG 365), though I can't articulate why outside of saying that they just don't feel right.

Of the handguns I own, probably my favorite is the Sig SP2022. It's polymer framed, hammer fired, 9mm. SIG calls it a full size, but comparing it to my Glock 17 or Beretta 92 I feel it is better called a compact. I haven't seen one for sale in a while, and hope they are still being made, but it was pretty reasonably priced (well under $500 when I bought it, OMG, a decade or more ago). This gun shoots wonderfully, fits my hand perfectly, and is over all pretty much the best thing I have ever laid my hands on, especially for the price. I went to PA to load up on standard cap magazines some time back and couldn't find any; but I'm sure they are out there some where. It is just hard to get them here in MD when you can't order them online to your doorstep.

For ammo, 9mm is best in my oh so humble opinion. Generally affordable and available (the current ammo situation not withstanding). All my handguns are loaded with either 124gr Gold Dot or Federal HST.

If you want a 1911, I can't really blame you. They feel good in my hand. .45 will get the job done. It's single action, which I'm not sure I want for a home defense gun, though others feel fine with it. Probably a training issue on my part. I don't own one, but I eventually will. I figure I'll save up some cheddar and get a good one. It's a manly gun. But for home defense I personally will stick with the 9s.
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -- Robert A. Heinlein
Crazytrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2021, 09:06 AM #76
Guns 'n Drums

Guns 'n Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullfrog View Post
Just to clarify for the OP, I think you meant to say frame here instead of slide, which would be consistent with the rest of your post?
Yep - spot on. Good catch! I corrected it in the original post I made.

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Handguns