• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oberyn

Apr 19, 2021
    Nice! I feel like I could put a few hundred rounds through it and still be dumb enough to try and twist it when the pressure is high lol

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    my only concern is the spring loaded ball bearings, and how well they "roll" after exposure to a lot of carbon.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Neat idea wonder how much maintenance would be needed to keep the bolt working smoothly. Also wonder how much force is needed to work the bolt? Would hate if your walking thru thick brush or slip and fall the bolt opens itself.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    my only concern is the spring loaded ball bearings, and how well they "roll" after exposure to a lot of carbon.

Design has been around for a lot of years. I haven't heard any complaints about it, though I've also not been seeking out reviews and feedback.

Sure, I'd probably have some concerns there too. That said, how much blow back/through does it get? I don't notice a ton of carbon building up behind the bolt face on any of my bolt guns. Probably at worse just a bit of attention on cleaning every few hundred rounds.

I am intrigued and the price isn't nuts, but at the same time I am not sure what I am getting for the money. I haven't use a straight pull ever other than dry firing some Swiss ones (been eyeing a K31 or K11 carbine, but never pulled the trigger). I guess I could see how you could be just a tiny bit faster than a bolt gun. But most practical shooting I've actually seen with them vs similar bolt guns, the straight pull really only comes off a bit faster if you are doing your best to dump the magazine as rapidly as possible.

Maybe some guys could use it faster, but I don't think I'd ever adapt my shooting to be faster. When I hunt, I always take a second or two to visually verify the hit and condition as well as possibly which way the animal is breaking (or flopped) and try to memorize what the scene looks like. Usually I am working the action while I do this by muscle memory, but it is almost always both eyes open, rifle lowered.

I guess if I was shooting far away I'd try to do this through the scope, but my longest ever shot on a deer has been about 70-80yds.

Other than a break action, pump, lever, bolt, straight pull or semi is easy enough to accomplish this and then if needed try for a follow-up shot. Maybe if I was extermination I'd take a different approach and just working sending as much accurate lead down range as fast as humanly possible. So I guess for pigs it could be useful. But IMHO, I'd just go semi-auto there if that was my goal. Or TBH a pump or lever is likely to still be faster.

That is a big long way of saying, "gee, neat! but not for me at that price. Talk to me when it is sub-$800 and I'll give it a real strong look"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Neat idea wonder how much maintenance would be needed to keep the bolt working smoothly. Also wonder how much force is needed to work the bolt? Would hate if your walking thru thick brush or slip and fall the bolt opens itself.

If it is like other designs I've seen, and the couple I've tried dry firing, it takes a fair amount of force. You'd really have to catch the bolt handle on something and maybe even put some weight in to it. Not likely it'll open with a short fall and a snag on some brush (At a guess, you are probably talking at least 12-15lbs of pressure, but I haven't personally played with this one at all. Just going off my limited experience with swiss straight pulls. Please note, I am not a calibrated force gauge at all).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom