• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Since they mentioned the possibility of releasing a 9mm 1911 80% over 2 years ago, I have been obsessing to build one. The frame is their new square trigger guard and it looks great! I couldn't be happier with how it turned out, and Stealth Arms still delivers an outstanding product.

StealthArms.net

I used promo code SA15OFF for 15% of my order. This is the largest discount I have seen they are usually only 10%. I don't know when it expires though.

80% 1911 Kit Details:
    Square Trigger Guard (Link Here)
    Caliber: 9mm
    Commander 4.25"
    Tactical
    Front Strap Checkering
    Barrel Seat Pre-Machined for Clark/Para Ramp (9mm only)
    Black Cerakote on Frame and Slide

Build was completed using Stealth Arms Phantom Jig.

I won't go into detail about the completion process or the kit components since I roughly cover this in two of my other build threads.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=192972
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=170353

i4hJcxj7Rvqo1LAxktwrmyLGYl3-jEn3PO6g6YEVSUj1MpYdi6X0NCTsLzAm-AgGiAJAFG1rkghC9wTCSyQL0ZvbZbBY32yoQmMQ094BdHFg8kT_pnNjsOSZEq-_N4AhWMhJwb_tXg=w2400

3MuO5IRDPMoe7PxBNW9rCfOMptg7JpN1kw_PigPCzyaYk_TH0QIJRLVwYzwy9fhlK8KW_n3ttQ4jMWwD67NMSKxRiuQIyYFHYwPVYpPETUs-8Wrd5rQILi3Kec7XcuLDmaQv5JwLpw=w2400

-lWGqYDP1-ju9Ea-CLdvHGRFm2mup_o5vsTVEPgmoadfwzpNl_1u41TGTl0q80SY-wf8QNCC2LSsdhMX7ZGvr7MATKm_YdfV4PdLUaBO1tcg0HaqtMxMfvCn1YgSVplrZvX7TlQQBw=w2400

SEJAimYIEMHrDVssPiocT7qkwOgTq7YolnbkJ8wjmVx1bKJfm_Obb0AfHo_gOsWSjvAGVNKJBSL5uj5blisf2rsDw8FZC4VffGdDDFtNy7M5LQz9BTB-YG_l0zkenvAoV6iredHa9A=w2400

51b4I5nQ3kWi0Y5nLnYUV-zQIH9aDAkvPveRSHq8FW8jFkJo79KmegC8oyZHe5RZgWwyhHg2b--yPY1UyUsX25y5ABnfxhAHRs-mw7dVT56SR_VW-b9tjEYDWy__G8V49PNXZh8pLg=w2400

Xou-ihsBpTrLdX95fNlg24luzDgqqRMz3SJoUBAzUMGrfMqXEfTB8PvW46mJQaV6nGaZ99yAA6iIV0TX_rOGruUMqy-BTolfDxWyCB3f7a3H1SsQ85yusjump-PSmbUTpN3saa3pog=w2400

The barrel seat is already cut on the 9mm frame. For .45 frames you will need to cut the barrel seat.
    7csclIwysSjdAq7Cx1XjwxHbkfSC3lBy446Y_BrEd7Rzc73cPEzjlSD6Sf-0Lz4TbSGBRd5jk7CXydro42sZ1CDEigULTjf8-g0pg5CAMpS_5vXNt7mWCeyMZfmRr2jA_H8cfJ6bCw=w2400

VqaJDCZB0LedbGoQvuSdl-DD4g5GKgncgoN8JrFI15SXbDg2cQdncOCMRa2S93Ipe2NlOKzOVPdhGgDLPKAjKqqRwnoV0WZWO_fW68uA9h2HkUxxRcCXiNHkAEXvET3yNZxa_m1sRg=w2400

YrzT-WO9SVOZsVpuIjkcMgmo2HPe9NUQoNOAVn9qn8o_C4xblBfxYbZl_uJL15PG7nOXbM9IkHoQ1XQ2p45zmAbZrDC8UEl4HrnqiYqP16vYXZ6umvGdTA4IHnUwqcl8UXmky1X7yA=w2400

x3WCap4aW9HArCujR609Q15MSMYBP1M7z2t_EgPVPbS4LeixPgF9hbpWReAGLm590Sch4mJIkNBEJCJbTP3I-Er-23bMjdcs3JLXG5diGeZbuF-ml3ZUC--ehVKvC7zFMud0cXIr6Q=w2400

Here is the 9mm compared to two other completed Stealth Arms builds.
    Left: 9mm Commander Tactical Square Trigger Guard Black Cerakote
    Middle: .45 Government Tactical Raw
    Right: .45 Government Beavertail Black Hard Anodized Type III

bbzEszT2I-dck1Z93d5soGO0N26T3HTS-K4hAiih71x2TO-PrlGbAKb-ocXtOeQQ5xhLXMEY3fnRlwYGeFWTNcj24svGxtVu-PILERJLGamnY9iy9eUb7T0gjdU3TXvIvTxHKm_-Sg=w2400

HzlHJwafoO9wiZjayIPlqnNUkH2v9GAoetVFcIZ5vzP22ZrC7_B0nvxRHxI9cJ8KVhPucRqcwY3enFxvyipbzuEqe9tEzB4qYq6nx_NsM4wYtuCZyizR0A4IAHzKqg-TtZEzRarXLA=w2400

Last edited:

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    What was the total cost for this build including all the parts, jigs ect?

I had previously purchased the phantom jig but if you had to buy it all at once it would run you roughly $1395. I also used promo code SA15OFF for 15% of the order which would bring it to $1186. I should probably add that promo to the first post.

You will need to buy a staking tool for the plunger tube. Also some files for minor fitting and a punch set.

Its not necessary but i recommend getting a sight pusher, even brass punches seem to mark to the finish. I don't have one and I always regret thinking I don't need it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Seems like a solution in search of a problem. You can build an 80% in any of those calibers with the right slide.

Jul 1, 2012
    Keep an eye out for Black Friday, they often do a 25% off sale.

Saw their email/website today, I was hoping the .38 Super barrel would be more or a less a drop-in on the 9mm Commander kit...

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Keep an eye out for Black Friday, they often do a 25% off sale.

Saw their email/website today, I was hoping the .38 Super barrel would be more or a less a drop-in on the 9mm Commander kit...

Much will depend on whether or not the slide is cut with a 9mm or 9/38 Super breechface. Some companies even cut their slides with a 40/10mm breech face so all three series of case rim diameters may be used.

If you do make the conversion you will also need mags and tuning an extractor dedicated to the 38 Super would be prefential to using the 9mm extractor.

I built a nine using a 9mm ramped barrel upper assembly made by Kimber. I did fit and use a 38 Super barrel made by Sig. It ran. I then fit a Kart 40 S&W barrel to it (Kimber uses the 40/10mm breechface). That is when the fun started. I did dedicate an extractor to it for the 40 barrel and it ran with that and some tuning. I bought a chamber reamer and will soon be chambering that barrel to 10mm.

Jul 1, 2012
    Just a quick note, StealthArms will be offering a 40% discount on their 80% frames on Black Friday...
    (if you order 3 or more it might add another 10% off).
    They added 38 Super, 10mm and 40 S&W to the build kit list as well (using the ramped 9mm frame).
    If you've ordered stuff from them this year you may qualify for the 30% general discount this week...

mhemling33

May 7, 2013
    Forest Hill
    Just noticed their ad for Black Friday and came here to post it... but it looks like you beat me to it!

Just a quick note, StealthArms will be offering a 40% discount on their 80% frames on Black Friday...
    (if you order 3 or more it might add another 10% off).
    They added 38 Super, 10mm and 40 S&W to the build kit list as well (using the ramped 9mm frame).
    If you've ordered stuff from them this year you may qualify for the 30% general discount this week...

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    With any of these type of projects there are an assortment of tools/jigs, etc needed to bring it to completion.

I’d contemplating doing a 1911 project and want to get a better picture of what expenses I need to plan for beyond the frame, slide, barrel and misc small parts.

Can anyone comment please on what you HAD to have, and what is really nice to have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    With any of these type of projects there are an assortment of tools/jigs, etc needed to bring it to completion.

I’d contemplating doing a 1911 project and want to get a better picture of what expenses I need to plan for beyond the frame, slide, barrel and misc small parts.

Can anyone comment please on what you HAD to have, and what is really nice to have?

I’ve got about $700 in jigs. Spent a lot at Matrix Precision on stoning jigs and rail cutting Jig etc. i have a few other assorted jigs, too. You CAN do it cheaper. I wanted to do it right. I’ve done a few. I haven’t messed anything up.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I’ve got about $700 in jigs. Spent a lot at Matrix Precision on stoning jigs and rail cutting Jig etc. i have a few other assorted jigs, too. You CAN do it cheaper. I wanted to do it right. I’ve done a few. I haven’t messed anything up.

Is this something a guy with a mill could probably knock out without special tooling? Asking for a friend :innocent0

Sarco has kits for pretty reasonable and I was looking for an excuse to ride up there before buying my 1853 Enfield.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Is this something a guy with a mill could probably knock out without special tooling? Asking for a friend :innocent0

Sarco has kits for pretty reasonable and I was looking for an excuse to ride up there before buying my 1853 Enfield.

I think so. I considered just using my mill. The jig was much more idiot proof.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick

Thanks Doc!! I appreciate the budgetary target to start saving toward

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thanks Doc!! I appreciate the budgetary target to start saving toward

If you want to make the journey to Bel Air, you are welcome to use my jigs. You can get done what you need in just a couple of hours. I recommend you have both the frame AND slide to fit properly. The stones for the rest of the fitting are cheap. I have a decking Jig, rail cutting Jig, barrel seat Jig and of course the drilling Jig. The rest is stoning.

Shamr0ck

Ultimate Member
    Aug 6, 2011
    Frederick
    If you want to make the journey to Bel Air, you are welcome to use my jigs. You can get done what you need in just a couple of hours. I recommend you have both the frame AND slide to fit properly. The stones for the rest of the fitting are cheap. I have a decking Jig, rail cutting Jig, barrel seat Jig and of course the drilling Jig. The rest is stoning.

Thank you very much !! Very generous offer. Let me dig in and start doing some research on which frame/slide....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom