• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    Boo hoo! The projects are being destroyed to make way for gentrification. This is the same "scholar" who wrote about his ghetto buddies and how hard it is to get out of East Balto in the first place. We are losing the charm of the Lafayette Housing Projects! And all those beautiful blocks of abandoned/condemned row houses. How sad. I guess you can watch "The Wire" if you need nostalgia.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/23/bla..._another_starbucks_against_the_new_baltimore/

Chris0nllyn

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 6, 2012
    Calvert County
    This is the same "scholar" who wrote about his ghetto buddies and how hard it is to get out of East Balto in the first place.

D. Watkins is an award-winning writer, educator and speaker. His work has been published in The Huffington Post, Aeon, AlterNet, The City Paper, Red Emma’s, Vice, StopBeingFamous, 1729mag, and Salon. He has been featured on NPR’s "Monday Morning," "Tell Me More," "The Real News Network," "Huff Post Live" and "The Marc Steiner Show." Watkins currently holds a Master's in Education from John Hopkins University and an MFA in Creative Writing from the University of Baltimore. He is a professor at Coppin State University and his debut memoir, "Cook Up," will be published by Grand Central Publishing in 2016.

Yea, some "scholar" he is, right! :rolleyes:

While you or I may not agree with the upbringing of a certain group of people, I can understand where he's coming from.

I grew up here in Southern MD my whole life. I watched it grow from 1-2 stores to strip malls and more damn Mexican restaurants than any bathroom should be able to handle. I liked "the way it was", and I suspect many of us here on the forum do as well. Just because your, or my "way" is different doesn't make the longing for that "old way" any less powerful.

Second Amendment

Ultimate Member
    May 11, 2011
    "Gentrification is turning my hometown into an alien place. As the city is remade, do I even belong here anymore?".

One reads this and then you see the picture below it and ask, why would you want to belong?

The writer is an idiot.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    Man, from the thread title I thought they bulldozed the great blacks in wax museum! If I had grown up in the projects I wouldn't think fondly of them upon there destruction. I got pulled over down there once when I dropped a guy off after work, the Housing Police thought I was trying to score weed, as he said "lots of white guys in jeeps come down here for that" ahhh yes the fond memories!:sad20:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    Damn, I got excited from the title and I thought they decided to finally eliminate the Grove neighborhood in Laurel. Everytime I would drive by on 198 on a dark winter night I also knew the lone guy on the corner had to be dealing.

Feb 28, 2013
    "Gentrification is turning my hometown into an alien place. As the city is remade, do I even belong here anymore?".

One reads this and then you see the picture below it and ask, why would you want to belong?

The writer is an idiot.

And a racist.

I can tell by the tone of his writing that he wants it both ways. He wants all black segregated neighborhoods where white people aren't allowed, which would be just fine by me since I wouldn't be caught dead in any "Somerset Courts".

On the other hand, God forbid the reverse ever take place. The shrieks of the wounded would be heard from Key West FL to Barrow AK.

The black community has demanded an end to segregation prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, back when the National Association for the Advancement of SOME Colored People was actually relevant, and a still noble organization.

Yet now, 50 years later, segregation is still regularly self imposed., and mostly by one side of the equation.

stic2it

Aug 26, 2012
    And a racist.

I can tell by the tone of his writing that he wants it both ways. He wants all black segregated neighborhoods where white people aren't allowed, which would be just fine by me since I wouldn't be caught dead in any "Somerset Courts".

On the other hand, God forbid the reverse ever take place. The shrieks of the wounded would be heard from Key West FL to Barrow AK.

The black community has demanded an end to segregation prior to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, back when the National Association for the Advancement of SOME Colored People was actually relevant, and a still noble organization.

Yet now, 50 years later, segregation is still regularly self imposed., and mostly by one side of the equation.

Not an English major but maybe separation and not segregation. Would be better in the last sentence. Two very different words!

Schwabe

Ultimate Member
    Nov 20, 2010
    Sho'a
    000adebf8c49fce17bfa82194a5a49339f4cdef906f2676b5831a318d9e2eeff.jpg

TangaZulu

Dec 19, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    It doesn't matter where you live, East Baltimore or Potomac, nobody wants to worry about losing their home. That goes double if they have little or no resources to afford a new one. The author expressed mixed feelings about the changes which he has zero control over, only natural when you're not calling the shots.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    And a racist.

They have many of these all black segregated neighborhoods already. They are all over the country. They're called PRISONS!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I'm sorry to see the high rises go too. That was the beginning of the ruining of every neighborhood inside the beltway and beyond.

All those section 8 model citizens had to go somewhere.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    It doesn't matter where you live, East Baltimore or Potomac, nobody wants to worry about losing their home. That goes double if they have little or no resources to afford a new one. The author expressed mixed feelings about the changes which he has zero control over, only natural when you're not calling the shots.

He has mixed feelings about tearing down slums that are full of garbage and crime. You might see the profoundness in it, but I highly doubt the author sees it that way. To him it is a black/white conflict.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Man, from the thread title I thought they bulldozed the great blacks in wax museum! If I had grown up in the projects I wouldn't think fondly of them upon there destruction. I got pulled over down there once when I dropped a guy off after work, the Housing Police thought I was trying to score weed, as he said "lots of white guys in jeeps come down here for that" ahhh yes the fond memories!:sad20:
    You should have raised hell for being racially profiled!

TangaZulu

Dec 19, 2014
    Anne Arundel County
    He has mixed feelings about tearing down slums that are full of garbage and crime. You might see the profoundness in it, but I highly doubt the author sees it that way. To him it is a black/white conflict.

Man, that prison quip was ignorant and disrespectful. No need to go there dude. The reason there are segregated neighborhoods is because banks and the federal govt. long ago divested from Black neighborhoods. Red-lining excluded generations of minorities from home ownership, i.e. a means to grow wealth; no jobs, no services, no opportunity. Whatever the banks and govt. missed were handled by local covenants which blocked minorities from moving into non-Black neighborhoods. That is why there are slums and high crime areas and yeah nobody wants to move there but some people are stuck there and it's all they've ever known. So to your point, it's always been a black/white conflict, but Black people didn't create it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom