• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I recently purchased a 2011 Limited. I love it so far. This is my first 4x4. I've already taken it on back roads in the national forest twice. It's an incredible force. It just plain works. Two weekends ago, I drove it on a completely iced over mountain road with full confidence. Having this vehicle is going to greatly expand my hunting and fishing range. It's also a pretty sweet ride around town. :party29:

I decided on Toyota several years ago, and quickly settled on the 4Runner. I didn't purchase it until this year though because my old car was still running fine. Obviously I did my research in terms of safety, reliability, etc. (Consumer Reports has a major crush on Toyota, I think for good reason) before pulling the trigger, but I must admit that years of seeing videos of Taliban and Jihadist types cruising the mountain passes of Afghanistan and deserts of North Africa in 4Runners and Tacomas was the ultimate sales pitch. I figure those guys don't have a Jiffy Lube nearby, so they stick with what what works. Plus, my cousin drove a Hilux in Afghanistan while he was in the Army and loved it. So that's the super-scientific way I settled on a 4Runner as my way to safely get back into the woods and pursue my outdoor hobbies.

Are there any 4Runner enthusiasts on here? Sound off below.

BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I love my '08 4Runner Sport 4WD.

I'd caution against overconfidence on icy roads though. The 4Runner is nearly as good as it gets, but nothing is more important than prudent driving where ice is involved.

BlackBart

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 20, 2007
    Conewago, York Co. Pa.
    We bought a 2010 Certified one last Oct.......she has a 25 mile drive to work every day so 4X4 was a must. The 2014 Mustang sucked on wet roads and my GMC isn't much better in these hills. Never stuck on the road BUT when we got 11 inches a couple weeks ago she couldn't get it up the drive.... neither could I. Next day it was in the barn, no problems. :thumbsup: 24 on a long trip to Ga when she was driving....... 19 for me. :D The 4.0 is adequate but no tire smoker.

I wll be lookng to unload my Serra for the same n 4x4. 4Runner is a good family SUV but I need a truck.... or at least a trailer.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    I got to drive Toyota Landcruisers in Somalia (when we weren't in Hummers) and really wanted one when I got back to the States. Still would like to get one just never have.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I've owned 2. Loved the 1987 with the 4 cylinder engine. Bought a 97 with a blown V6 engine and the rest of the truck was about as good as the blown engine. I kept it for about a year, spent thousands fixing everything, but I still had no confidence in the truck, so I traded it for another vehicle for my son.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have a 2005 sport V8. Had it since 2007 and love it. Never been stuck. I take it offroad and to Assateague.

It's now our extra car and needed a new suspension so I lifted it a little and got new tires.

I'll drive it until it dies.

Enjoy your new ride!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427247760.944694.jpg
    24c2ec5adb08577b6624e7fe4528a199.jpg

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I love my '08 4Runner Sport 4WD.

I'd caution against overconfidence on icy roads though. The 4Runner is nearly as good as it gets, but nothing is more important than prudent driving where ice is involved.

Absolutely. There was no way to turn around and the ice accumulated slowly, so I decided I was past the point of no return and just had to continue on up the mountain. I put it in L4L and just let it creep along. I was amazed that it didn't slip at all. But yeah, I didn't exactly enjoy that and try to avoid ice. I think my dog was more nervous than me. He kept looking at me like "WTF!?" Haha.

Nice ride, Jollyllama. What kind of tires are those? How much did lifting it cost?

CrabbyMcNab

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2009
    They are nice I had an 08 limited. Ultimately traded it in for a pickup which I use more frequently. My wife got the highlander and every time I drive it, we should have kept the 4runner.
    Where in the national forest did you go? GW?

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    We had an 08 4runner and it was a decent vehicle. It does get cramped on long road trips though. It does look much better with a 3" lift kit and you dont have to replace anything. Unless you cant get the struts apart to add the lift:sad20:ask me how I know:innocent0.

MD roads do cause problems for the brakes...a year or so after we left MD the brake calipers started dragging..I finally ended up replacing all the calipers. As we noticed the gas mileage dropping and dropping...once the calipers were replaced it was back to its normal gas mileage.

You can get stuck with the 4runner and quite easily if you arent careful. Part of it is that auto slip system. You can turn it off but it resets when you turn the key back off and then on. theres a mod you can do to basically wire a on off switch into it, instead of the stock switch.

Adding a brushguard will cut your gasmileage. But it does look much better with it on.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Absolutely. There was no way to turn around and the ice accumulated slowly, so I decided I was past the point of no return and just had to continue on up the mountain. I put it in L4L and just let it creep along. I was amazed that it didn't slip at all. But yeah, I didn't exactly enjoy that and try to avoid ice. I think my dog was more nervous than me. He kept looking at me like "WTF!?" Haha.

Nice ride, Jollyllama. What kind of tires are those? How much did lifting it cost?

That is good. Over confidence on ice will bite you in the ass.

Juche90

May 10, 2014
    Had a 92' 4Runner from 92 to 2009. Finally blew the engine at 250k+ miles. Best vehicle I ever owned.

shooterhyde

Sep 9, 2013
    I had an FJ Cruiser for about 5 years. Loved it but need a pick up so traded it for a Tundra. The 4Runners are great though, if I were in the market for another SUV that'd be my top pick.

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    Wow, I'm really just blown away that every single person who has replied can't seem to say enough good things about it. I'd read plenty about it before making the purchase, but it definitely makes me feel good to read this stuff.

Crabby--yes, I was in GW. I do a lot of backpacking, fishing and hunting there. It's kind of my second home. Now that I can drive the unimproved roads, it's much easier for me to get there. I used to have to borrow my brother's Forester or else park my car at the bottom of the mountain and walk up the road. This time I was just north of Ramsey's Draft, in the Camp Todd/Reddish Knob area. The closest town is called West Augusta--sort of west and between Harrisonburg and Staunton. Once I got above 3,000 feet or so there was a lot of ice.

Those of you who have owned them for a while, is there anything I should be thinking about in terms of preventative maintenance that may not be obvious? I've read some stuff about people having rust issues. I just plan to wash the undercarriage any time I've driven it on salted roads, but I've been wondering if it might be worth it to get some kind of sealant applied under there. That stuff is expensive and nasty to apply myself since I don't have any equipment. Otherwise, it seems like with these that as long as you keep up with the regular maintenance, you're pretty much all set. I purchased it from Tysons Toyota but I'm planning to have all the service done at Jack Taylor Toyota in Arlington, since that is more convenient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom