Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)

Notices

Old December 6th, 2017, 04:17 PM #91
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingDriver View Post
I'm kind of looking forward to seeing what will be offered. If I feel that its a good deal then I'm gonna jump in there and hopefully grab a decent pistol. If not, meh didn't loose anything.
I'd bet that if you wait that long, you won't have a chance. If you are even remotely considering one, you better sign up with an affilated club and be ready to jump in line when the notice comes out.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:18 PM #92

The reason these must be shipped to a FFL is due to each state having different laws and to keep them from being sued if someone gets a gun that should not have one and shoot's someone with it. I do not mind having it shipped to a FFL if I have a change of being in the running. I think that they will range from 650.00-950.00 for the lower grade's. I have several original GI 45's that I have bought over the years and would not mind having a rebuilt one from the CMP. 750.00 for a beater 1911 is worth that to me all day long.
38super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:44 PM #93
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38super View Post
The reason these must be shipped to a FFL is due to each state having different laws and to keep them from being sued if someone gets a gun that should not have one and shoot's someone with it. I do not mind having it shipped to a FFL if I have a change of being in the running. I think that they will range from 650.00-950.00 for the lower grade's. I have several original GI 45's that I have bought over the years and would not mind having a rebuilt one from the CMP. 750.00 for a beater 1911 is worth that to me all day long.
The states, most of them, have absolutely no say in whether the CMP can or cannot ship a 1911 directly to a C&R holder's front door.

This is purely a chickensh!t decision made by the folks at CMP. They don't feel like doing the legwork to see which states allow C&R and which states don't. Laziness!

They would have the law, 100%, on their side if they shipped these guns using federal Curio and Relic regulations.

They've chosen not to. Instead, they've chosen to blame their poor decision making skills on the US Army.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:04 PM #94

Per the Director of CMP:
1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a “store front” FFL dealer.
Orlando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:53 PM #95

don't get me wrong, I have already purchased a Garand through them. They already have all my paperwork. Like I said it would be nice to buy one if the opportunity arose.
DivingDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 05:56 PM #96

Can anyone imagine the uproar if it came out that the federal government was shipping handguns directly to civilians? At least going through a licensed gun dealer makes it all ok...apparently.
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:04 PM #97

Yeah this is disappointing on many levels. Let my first expire, got another one just because occasionally it comes in handy for a purchase and finally a C&R worthy purchase if there ever was one and DENIED!!!!
so many emotions.....
"They? Why, they is the plain and fancy they, that's who they is. Caught you, didn't they? Tied a tin can to your tail. Led you in and waltzed you out again. Oh my what a bunch. Big tough ones, hunh? Here you are with a hand full of holes, a thumb up your ass, and a big grin to pass the time of day with. They? Who the hell is they?" - geezer from Wild Bunch
todbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:24 PM #98

It's been beat to death already, but that's total horse poop that they are not C&R eligible. Just because some states (looking at you California) are overzealous with their gun laws...
airbornetrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 08:43 PM #99

If you’ve got a C&R and you want an M1911, why not just buy one now? There are plenty of them out there and it sounds like CMP won’t be much cheaper.

While the frames are WWII or earlier, the military contracted out parts until the 1980s. There is no telling what parts CMP will use to make these pistols functional. Some of us still use NOS parts to build new pistols.

If you do your homework you can buy an all correct R-R or Ithaca for around $2000. If you just want a mixmaster those can be had for $1000-1200.

Researching the history of these guns, learning about how they were made, and having one shipped to your door now is a lot more fun than complaining about the CMP (though I’ve done my fair share of complaining).
bpm32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 12:54 AM #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpm32 View Post
If you’ve got a C&R and you want an M1911, why not just buy one now? There are plenty of them out there and it sounds like CMP won’t be much cheaper.

While the frames are WWII or earlier, the military contracted out parts until the 1980s. There is no telling what parts CMP will use to make these pistols functional. Some of us still use NOS parts to build new pistols.

If you do your homework you can buy an all correct R-R or Ithaca for around $2000. If you just want a mixmaster those can be had for $1000-1200.

Researching the history of these guns, learning about how they were made, and having one shipped to your door now is a lot more fun than complaining about the CMP (though I’ve done my fair share of complaining).
Great advice. Unfortunately for me, my love for milsurp and historically significant firearms came too late to really take advantage of the sales aspect of the CMP's mission. Part of what I love about old firearms is going into a shop and finding one that "speaks" to me (metaphorically of course!). I have plenty of guns I have bought online, but I would really like to pick out an M1 garand and/or WWI/II 1911 in person. It's silly, but I want American milsurps that have a good bit of character and ideally an interesting history, even if they aren't in perfect shape. Shootable condition would be nice. It's unfortunate I don't have the options a lot of you older and wiser folk did.

Not blaming CMP for the 1911 situation, but it just doesn't seem like much fun to me. I'll let other people fight over the first few batches and see where things are in a few years.
fbi_surveillance_van is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Curio and Relic (C&R)