Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:43 AM #181

Without sounding too cynical, these threats of breaking law are often targeted to law-abiding citizens that do exactly what the law states. I think the prosecutor needs to address the Maryland General Assembly and Maryland judges about upholding State statues of those creating multiple felonies while using a firearm. During the town hall meeting none of the local experts ( police chiefs, State representatives, etc.) were aware of the very low percentages of “mandatory criminal sentencing” of 5 years for “repeat offenders” brandishing a firearm in the commission of the crime. It always perplexes me that the State controls legal firearm owners by threat of prosecution, but cannot enforce violations of laws in the court room. These court sentencing outcomes of non enforcement of mandatory statutes for criminals should be public and available for the public to digest.
Pittbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:58 AM #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by platoonDaddy View Post
LOL can't recall his exact wording, but something to the effect, Mrs. Libby was well armed.
And she was a Hell of a shot as I remember him saying often.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Fishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 01:05 PM #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittbull View Post
Without sounding too cynical, these threats of breaking law are often targeted to law-abiding citizens that do exactly what the law states. I think the prosecutor needs to address the Maryland General Assembly and Maryland judges about upholding State statues of those creating multiple felonies while using a firearm. During the town hall meeting none of the local experts ( police chiefs, State representatives, etc.) were aware of the very low percentages of “mandatory criminal sentencing” of 5 years for “repeat offenders” brandishing a firearm in the commission of the crime. It always perplexes me that the State controls legal firearm owners by threat of prosecution, but cannot enforce violations of laws in the court room. These court sentencing outcomes of non enforcement of mandatory statutes for criminals should be public and available for the public to digest.
It's been said thousands of times, MD gun laws (and most national gun laws) only affect law abiding citizens. All we hear is that we need more gun laws but they continuously fail to apply the laws to the vermin that are the danger. For how long did we hear Obama spew his nonsense, calling for more and more laws, only to have his DOJ fail to even attempt to prosecute the laws already in place. I recall that I read that they only attempted to prosecute less than 10% of the cases. That's over 90% of cases not even being attempted. On the local level, I'm sure it's pretty close to the same, with all of the plea bargains and reducing or dropping of charges. But, yea, we need more gun laws...
mumfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:23 PM #184

Even LEO's run into trouble if carrying under LEOSA and are in a "Gun Free School Zone" when something happens.
HWB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 02:43 PM #185

The trouble will always be there when you have to use the firearm regardless.

Circumstances. You think some cops employer is going to back their defense when it's discovered the off duty shooting was with an unapproved gun? Shooting might be justified but there could easily be employer penalities.
PapiBarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 06:28 PM #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
Liddy is kind of pompous, but I used to like listening to him.

The license plate on his corvette said H20GATE lol

I used to really like listening to him because he would talk about anything (obviously politics were a large part) that callers would bring up, especially guns and cars. He was entertaining.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rbird7282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:23 PM #187
Navy & VT Grad Dad

Navy & VT Grad Dad

Would be interesting to see figures on charges against persons using firearms for self defense or persons charged with firearms violations and no other charges vs people with many other charges where the firearm charges have been dropped.
Is the law applied equally in all situations. Do the thugs get more breaks than regular citizens when you look at the actual numbers?
lowoncash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:30 PM #188
God Bless America

God Bless America

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowoncash View Post
Would be interesting to see figures on charges against persons using firearms for self defense or persons charged with firearms violations and no other charges vs people with many other charges where the firearm charges have been dropped.
Is the law applied equally in all situations. Do the thugs get more breaks than regular citizens when you look at the actual numbers?
In general people charged with multiple offenses get more "breaks" in exchange for a guilty plea. If there's only one charge then there's nothing to reduce/remove/drop except for sentencing agreement.
AlanInSilverSpring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:37 AM #189
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

I would love to see a truly anonymous poll (I would never do one on this site related to this) about how many otherwise law abiding citizens of MD have actually carried without a permit in what they feel was a justified act to apprehension of danger? My gut tells me at least a quarter to one third of legal gun owners may have done this at least once. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I'm too far off.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 07:38 AM #190
Certified Mad Scientist

Certified Mad Scientist

Please... no confessions to the above.
Doctor_M is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues