Ruger Security-Six: Which Barrel Length?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I love the Ruger Security-Six revolver. It's the right size, right weight and it doesn't have an underlug barrel. But for those of you who have these great revolvers, what's the barrel length you chose. (If you have a S&W 19/66, which barrel length would you choose?)

I used to favor the 4-incher, but lately I've become more fond of my 6-inch. They used to say you couldn't really get good magnum velocities until you got to 6 inches, but modern loads have quashed that. You may benefit from a longer sight radius, but the 4-inchers have proven plenty accurate, and come to think of it, the 2.5- and 3-inch models also hit hard at longer distances and I've seen them shoot very good at a hundred yards.

So what do you prefer?

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    If I were to buy a new wheel gun, it would have a 6" barrel. Longer sight radius, slightly better ballistics, etc. But my real reason is that it would become a new barbecue gun, and a good excuse to buy some fancy leather to show it off. :D

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Single action 6". For a double action 4". No rational other than a double action is built for defense/carry and 6" gets way too long.

C&RTactical

Jul 24, 2013
    I got a 4" and it is the perfect length and aesthetic of what I want out of my Security Six.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    My Bicentennial Security Six is a 4in . Because at the time I was specifically looking to fill a gap for a 4in DA .357 . But if carry is not a major parameter for you, feel free to toss a coin between 4in and 6in .

As Ted76 mentioned , 6in min bbl for deer/ bear * In Maryland * .I do most of my revolver hunting in Va , which has much more realistic regs for handgun hunting.

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    I have both 4" Security Six and 6" GP-100. Love them both. Would really love to get both in 3". Also a GP-100 with 4" barrel, blued. Ruger revolvers are like Peanut M&M's, once you start, it is difficult to quit.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm not a Ruger fan (but I have gone to the Dark Side on occasion)...but the Security Six is a much lamented revolver since it's been gone. I'm a former cop so a 4" barrel speaks to me. For field use a 6" is better.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It really depends on what you want to do with said revolver. I've carried a 4" K-Frame, which is basically the same size as a Security Six. That's not something I enjoyed, but it was easier to carry, weight wise, versus a comparable 6" revolver. If it's just range use and possibly hunting, I'd go 6".

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    It really depends on what you want to do with said revolver. I've carried a 4" K-Frame, which is basically the same size as a Security Six. That's not something I enjoyed, but it was easier to carry, weight wise, versus a comparable 6" revolver. If it's just range use and possibly hunting, I'd go 6".

Absolutely. I carried a 4" K-frame when a cop. A GP-100 would be fine in the field and for hunting but I wouldn't care to haul that tank of a revolver concealed...regardless of barrel length.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    Both my ruger revolvers are 4". Less than that they aesthetically appear stubby and the sight radius is too short, and longer than that I am concerned about being able to draw effectively from the holster. If I was hunting with a revolver, the barrel length would be 6" or longer to have a better shot.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Absolutely. I carried a 4" K-frame when a cop. A GP-100 would be fine in the field and for hunting but I wouldn't care to haul that tank of a revolver concealed...regardless of barrel length.

I carried a 4" GP-100 in a "concealment" holster. In the winter, with a big, heavy coat on. Not comfortable at all. That's why I carry a Colt Cobra. It fits in most pockets.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I started out shooting handguns with a 6” Security Six. Had to set the barrel back twice burning out the forcing cone so I installed a 4” barrel. Early on I did acquire a 2 3/4” Security Six. My take, shooting competition, hunting 6” gun. Hunting or similar I use a 6” or longer 44 Magnum. The 4” incher transitions faster and is relatively velocity efficient. 2 3/4” is no J frame nor LCR. Concealable for a medium frame revolver. Hefty muzzle flash. Overall, I prefer the four inch tube since it is a medium frame revolver.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I started out shooting handguns with a 6” Security Six. Had to set the barrel back twice burning out the forcing cone so I installed a 4” barrel.

It sounds like you might have had an early stainless Security Six. Along with S&W, Ruger had problems with early stainless revolvers with cracked or burned out forcing cones...especially with hot 125gr .357 ammunition

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    It was a late 70’s revolver. Gunsmith asked me what gunpowder I was using when I had it set back the first time. I said Blue Dot. “Hot loads of Blue Dot would do that. I strongly suggest another powder”, the gunsmith said. After that, I did the installs. Finally, determined factory performance level doses of Blue Dot would do. For truly heavy loads H110 and 2400 get the nod.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Had to set the barrel back twice burning out the forcing cone so I installed a 4” barrel.
    Was this a blued gun or was it stainless?

The stainless ones are said to stand up better because the chromium content keeps the carbon from leeching out. Even so, when Ruger came out with the .357 Max, it ate those forcing cones like they were chocolate.

Always wondered why they didn't foresee that.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Was this a blued gun or was it stainless?

The stainless ones are said to stand up better because the chromium content keeps the carbon from leeching out. Even so, when Ruger came out with the .357 Max, it ate those forcing cones like they were chocolate.

Always wondered why they didn't foresee that.

I'm guessing corporate arrogance. While Ruger as a company has always enjoyed a deserved reputation for customer service, Bill Ruger himself was reported as quite arrogant. He had seen his company enjoy an almost uninterrupted string of successes there was very likely a "can't fail" attitude.

To be fair, other companies like S&W were having issues with stainless guns as well that may or may not have been foreseeable. It took a while for the gun industry to get stainless technology worked out.

HankR

Ultimate Member
    Jan 22, 2013
    Upper Midwest
    I'd go 4-5 for a .357 unless you wanted the option to hunt with it in MD. I got my 686 in 6 inch when I lived there and it's my least favorite revolver due to the barrel length. I do like 5.5 for big bores though. I don't carry them on my belt as often, which is an issue, especially getting in and out of a vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom