• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I just checked the printed electronic 77r, and the section for Seller (Secondary Sales and Gifts), there is no HQL info listed. There is DL# and SSN info.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    If the MSP site can provide process updates then why is a seperate email address needed? Whatvs the difference between signing up for email through yahoo, or signing up on the MSP e77r site and having an "inbox"? Why do i have to log in to my email to get updates from MSP, when i could just log onto the MSP site and get the process updates. We all jnow gow the O'Malley admin abused access to email adresses in 2013.

This is a serious question.

Also, can we all now agree that a physical HQL card is now no longer necessary or needed, since this system can verify that HQL #? There is a bill this year to repeal having to show the HQL, and only require the #. Does showing a HQL provide any benefit?

And why couldnt this system be integrated into the existing HQL site? Potential of the HQL being overturned?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    do we actually know that the 77r portal can verify the HQL automatically, or does a Trooper have to do the check manually. It was my understanding they were two separate systems.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Does the FFL still need to see the physical card? Do the dealer instructions say to see HQL prior to processing the app or delivering the firearm?

I do wonder why you need to put in your HQL number for every application you do. It remembers the other info (including if you have a DC). I understand why you have the answer the questions fresh every time.

BTW just over 3800 today. :)

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    If the MSP site can provide process updates then why is a seperate email address needed? Whatvs the difference between signing up for email through yahoo, or signing up on the MSP e77r site and having an "inbox"? Why do i have to log in to my email to get updates from MSP, when i could just log onto the MSP site and get the process updates. We all jnow gow the O'Malley admin abused access to email adresses in 2013.

This is a serious question.

Also, can we all now agree that a physical HQL card is now no longer necessary or needed, since this system can verify that HQL #? There is a bill this year to repeal having to show the HQL, and only require the #. Does showing a HQL provide any benefit?

And why couldnt this system be integrated into the existing HQL site? Potential of the HQL being overturned?

Have you ever reached out to Lt Rossignol directly? He told me he is available to answer questions. I think he would be open for any possibilities that make things run smoother. In fact, I bet if someone could find a meeting room, provide him a list of questions ahead of time, he may even appear in person to help you out about cleaning up the process and/or clarifying how it works. He has always been very responsive to the public. I have a lot of respect for him. One of my favorite guys that worked for me in Southern Maryland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack McCauley

Oct 16, 2014
    what does Initial review-not disapproved mean? Is there another review?

Some attorney came up with the term Not-Disapproved. I can explain it.
    Basically, they don't want to say its ok to buy a gun. They are forced to say, we can't find a reason to deny you. It is Liberal logic going way back.

Initial review; Your application can be approved by a civilian. If the checks are run and there are no hiccups (two John Smiths, one with a criminal record), the application is complete.

If there are any issues, the troopers conduct secondary reviews. Some of the court records do not have a full date of birth showing on the screen. It requires the trooper to navigate through more records to verify if the same named person is the applicant or not. They usually know the laws better and have the ability to conduct further inquiries as well. For example, some criminal convictions are not prohibited factors. They don't let civilians make that decision though. Any criminal record gets pushed to the troopers.

It takes about 4 months to train someone all the rules, laws, sop's and processes of completing applications. The civilian side tends to have more turnover of personnel.

To ensure a second set of eyes makes the right call, they rely on experience. And the troopers doing the secondary reviews are the experts. Jason Edwards is the most knowledgable person on gun laws that I have ever met.

I think some small improvements to some databases have been made that have cut down on the need for secondary reviews. But at one point and time, nearly 46% of all applications were getting a second look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Question

Do you actually have to go to the FFL to start the process? If the FFL knows you and knows you HAVE an HQL, could you just call them with the application number and PIN?

scattervision

Bang Bang Bangity Bang
    May 12, 2016
    The system is reportedly down until 3PM. Who had 17 days in the pool?
    The Licensing Portal isn't down. All of the Maryland State agencies are having issues with network connectivity and, specifically, SMTP relay. MSP just updated their website with the info.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The Licensing Portal isn't down. All of the Maryland State agencies are having issues with network connectivity and, specifically, SMTP relay. MSP just updated their website with the info.

This makes sense. The portal wasn't working for me earlier.

Saw this:

Last edited:

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Question

Do you actually have to go to the FFL to start the process? If the FFL knows you and knows you HAVE an HQL, could you just call them with the application number and PIN?

You have to go the FFL. The 4473 must be filled out in person.
    Source: last Friday when I called Dave to ask if I could do paperwork prior to the Timonium show. I'm his employee and I couldn't do it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Source: last Friday when I called Dave to ask if I could do paperwork prior to the Timonium show. I'm his employee and I couldn't do it.

Does the 4473 have to be filled out upon 77r submittal? Or can it be filled out when you go to pick up?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007

Just curious, why couldn't you complete the 4473 at the time you take possession of the handgun?

If your dealer has your HQL and DL, why couldn't you call them with your application number and PIN. Once the "Not Disapproved" comes back, you drive to your dealer, complete the 4473 and walk out with your handgun. One visit is all that's needed, providing the dealer has a copy of your HQL and Driver's License.

I'm not saying this is the way it is, but it could be that simple.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Does the 4473 have to be filled out upon 77r submittal? Or can it be filled out when you go to pick up?
    Yes, federal form when initiating the transfer. Remember your answering questions and signing it to attest your ability to own a firearm. Second signature is when you actually take possession.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lonzo

Dec 8, 2015
    Moco
    This 77R online is a joke..I STILL have to go twice to my FFL....

Cant wait to leave the state...

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also, the site worked for me, just completed my 77R.

That makes sense. Jim is right - there is no reason why it couldn't be done this way, as you don't have to do the 4473 (the only part of this that legally has to be done in person) until you actually take possession of the 4473 and they run the NICS check.

Last edited:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    That makes sense. Jim is right - there is no reason why it couldn't be done this way, as you don't have to do the 4473 (the only part of this that legally has to be done in person) until you actually take possession of the 4473 and they run the NICS check.

But the MSP is the one running the NICS check not the dealer on a handgun purchase.
    But I definately agree with you that you shouldn't have to go twice.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    But the MSP is the one running the NICS check not the dealer on a handgun purchase.
    But I definately agree with you that you shouldn't have to go twice.

This also brings up another issue that I never understood. Why does the dealer do the 4473 when they don't do the NICS check for a handgun?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom