Go Back   Maryland Shooters > The Arsenal > Rifles

Notices

Old April 22nd, 2017, 10:21 PM #41

Just put my new AR-556 through its first paces today. Fired 100 rounds through it with a mixture of freedom munitions and federal 223 and not a single hiccup. I compared with my Windham HBC.

The Ruger is LIGHT...if I didn't know any better I would guess this is a banned rifle. I could get comparable groups with both shooting offhand at 25 yards, although the Ruger was printing noticeably low...will need to adjust the sights. I think Ruger must be using a different alloy in their bolt carrier group as it was noticeably easier to clean for some reason. Although I found it odd that a couple of the bolt contact points showed some surface wear after this 1st outing. I think this rifle would be superior to the Windham if you had to carry it some distance.

Having said that, I think the Windham is the better of the two. It's double heat guards soaked up the heat of the session far better. The aluminum receivers on the Windham have a look and feel of superior quality. I much prefer the Windham carry handle iron sights versus the Ruger flip up sight.

All in all I'm glad I've got the AR-556, and it is a great lightweight addition to the MD compliant arsenal
Boneuphtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2017, 07:29 AM #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneuphtoner View Post
Just put my new AR-556 through its first paces today. Fired 100 rounds through it with a mixture of freedom munitions and federal 223 and not a single hiccup. I compared with my Windham HBC.

The Ruger is LIGHT...if I didn't know any better I would guess this is a banned rifle. I could get comparable groups with both shooting offhand at 25 yards, although the Ruger was printing noticeably low...will need to adjust the sights. I think Ruger must be using a different alloy in their bolt carrier group as it was noticeably easier to clean for some reason. Although I found it odd that a couple of the bolt contact points showed some surface wear after this 1st outing. I think this rifle would be superior to the Windham if you had to carry it some distance.

Having said that, I think the Windham is the better of the two. It's double heat guards soaked up the heat of the session far better. The aluminum receivers on the Windham have a look and feel of superior quality. I much prefer the Windham carry handle iron sights versus the Ruger flip up sight.

All in all I'm glad I've got the AR-556, and it is a great lightweight addition to the MD compliant arsenal
I have the WW HBC too and I absolutely love it. It feels very sturdy. I know what you mean about BCG--so some reason it just seems to cling to debris more than my other BCG (I have two BCG's but only one rifle--I got a good deal on it from PSA).
provvv is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > The Arsenal > Rifles