• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    They might as well pass these. Once they Sh*tcan the HPRB, there will be less permits "on the streets" regardless. What better way as well to stifle those in the training business from shafting naive students. It is clearly on record that one such company trained people, then actively took part in denying permits. :sad20:

That bill has no chance in hell of making it out of rule committee, so no issue with it happening this session.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Sometimes if you can't attack directly, weaken the flanks.

Even if the Supreme Court holds G&S schemes unconstitutional, it's unlikely to hold permitting itself as unconstitutional.

I'd much rather see us chip away at the excessive requirements, so when G&S is struck down, the objective requirements are easier to met.

Yep, it's called baby steps, and one little niggly bill at a time is how we got here and that is how we will get out.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    That bill has no chance in hell of making it out of rule committee, so no issue with it happening this session.

Isn't it more the case that The Brothers Mike can basically make whatever they want happen, happen?

If they *really* wanted it to make it out, they would.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Isn't it more the case that The Brothers Mike can basically make whatever they want happen, happen?

Mike and Mike don't have near the power they did back in 2013 and 2014, given that the House gained 7 new (R) seats in 2014 and a bunch of the (D) seats got replaced by younger Delegates that are further left and have no inclination to pay attention to the Speaker unless or until threatened with committee appointments and discretionary spending (Which Mike and Mike are less likely to do since it was O'Malley that pushed that button back in 2013)

If they *really* wanted it to make it out, they would.

Not in this case, no. It is very bad juju to totally circumvent the rules committee for a personal agenda. Could it make it out of rules by 3/20 and then have something happen on sine die?? Sure, but unlikely since Rules Committee still hasn't scheduled for a hearing.

NO, this bill is dead in rules.

Abacab

Sep 10, 2009
    MD
    Mike and Mike don't have near the power they did back in 2013 and 2014, given that the House gained 7 new (R) seats in 2014 and a bunch of the (D) seats got replaced by younger Delegates that are further left and have no inclination to pay attention to the Speaker unless or until threatened with committee appointments and discretionary spending (Which Mike and Mike are less likely to do since it was O'Malley that pushed that button back in 2013)

Not in this case, no. It is very bad juju to totally circumvent the rules committee for a personal agenda. Could it make it out of rules by 3/20 and then have something happen on sine die?? Sure, but unlikely since Rules Committee still hasn't scheduled for a hearing.

NO, this bill is dead in rules.

I hope you're right.

They have to be scared to death that they may lose the few seats Republicans need in the House of Delegates to sustain a Hogan veto.

While I'm no Hogan cheerleader, the thought of a Republican governor with the ability to veto M&M legislation and make it count brings a tear to my eye.

Dems losing in 2018 the veto override power would really change the game.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I hope you're right.

They have to be scared to death that they may lose the few seats Republicans need in the House of Delegates to sustain a Hogan veto.

While I'm no Hogan cheerleader, the thought of a Republican governor with the ability to veto M&M legislation and make it count brings a tear to my eye.

Hogan winning re-election would change it even more. Then he controls redistricting and Mike and Mike would do anything to try and get the non partisan commission to work as much in their favor as possible, to retain as much power as possible.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I hope you're right.

The spectre of the Rockville High School illegal immigrant rapists will be floating above their heads come election time, I hope.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Hogan winning re-election would change it even more. Then he controls redistricting and Mike and Mike would do anything to try and get the non partisan commission to work as much in their favor as possible, to retain as much power as possible.

Hearing rumblings of someone is going to run against Hogan , a primary against a sitting governor will be the end of Hogan

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    Hearing rumblings of someone is going to run against Hogan , a primary against a sitting governor will be the end of Hogan

Who has the prestige, accomplishments, or name recognition to effect this? Some dreamer?

Only ones I could think of would be Bob or Kendall ad I cannot see them doing this.

Now, go away or I shall taunt you again.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Who has the prestige, accomplishments, or name recognition to effect this? Some dreamer?

Only ones I could think of would be Bob or Kendall ad I cannot see them doing this.

I will look for the article, I recall it was republican from Frederick . Name recognition has nothing to do with it primaring Hogan will end him. I wouldn't put it past the democraps somehow forcing this

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    The spectre of the Rockville High School illegal immigrant rapists will be floating above their heads come election time, I hope.

I heard of the incident but did not hear of their immigrant status. Do you know if they are illegals?
    The same thing with the guy who was drinking at Hooters in Rockville before killing the MCPD officer. If he was illegal I would someone would start to see a light.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

Agreed. Hogan still has super high approval rating across the board with us as an exception.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Agreed. Hogan still has super high approval rating across the board with us as an exception.

And there's the rub...

"Fixing it" with us will have a negative effect in other, more brittle demographics. Potential political suicide to lose those people.

Chances are, he'd still have most of us in any case, because he's not a wild leftist.

Many of us have said all along that he's sharp and shrewd, and it's showing.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Speculative. Hogan's no Jimmy Carter. He is popular, and this includes Republicans even if some are dissatisfied. I don't mind him being primaried if it results in him taking a more pro 2A stance as I doubt this will hurt him in the general. David Clarke, a Democrat, was also primaried not long ago in Wisconsin. He won, and it didn't hurt him in the general. Each race has its peculiarities, but I don't see the data to draw the absolute conclusion that you seem to be making.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TopShelf

@TopShelfJS
    Feb 26, 2012
    And there's the rub...

"Fixing it" with us will have a negative effect in other, more brittle demographics. Potential political suicide to lose those people.

Chances are, he'd still have most of us in any case, because he's not a wild leftist.

Many of us have said all along that he's sharp and shrewd, and it's showing.
    :thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    HEARD: HB 59 Del S. Howard Public Safety - Assault Weapons - Replacements
    HEARD: HB 318 Del A. Miller, Public Safety - Firearms Disqualifications -
    et al Antique Firearm
    HEARD: HB 339 Del McKay Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Correctional
    Officer
    HEARD: HB 610 Del Public Safety - Handgun Permit - Applicant
    Impallaria, et Qualifications
    al
    HEARD: HB 611 Del Handguns - School Employees - Handgun Permits and
    Impallaria, et Carrying Weapons on School Property
    al
    HEARD: HB 663 Del Reilly, et Public Safety - Permit to Carry, Wear, or
    al Transport a Handgun - Qualifications
    HEARD: HB 820 Del Rey, et al Handgun Permits - Universal Recognition
    HEARD: HB 821 Del Rey, et al Firearms - Permit to Wear, Carry, or Transport a
    Handgun - Expiration and Renewal
    HEARD: HB 827 Del Kittleman, Public Safety - Secretary of State Police -
    et al Temporary Firearms Training Waiver
    HEARD: HB 875 Del Rey, et al Firearms - Handgun Qualification License -
    Firearms Safety Training
    HEARD: HB 877 Del McComas, Handgun Prmts - Alt Expiration Date - Prvt
    et al Detectives, Scrty Guards, and Spcl Police Offcrs
    HEARD: HB 891 Del Saab, et Handgun Permits - Firearms Training Courses
    al
    HEARD: HB 905 Del Malone, et Public Safety - Handgun Qualification License -
    al Application Fee
    HEARD: HB 958 Del McComas, Public Safety - Gun Shows - Captured Plate Data
    et a
    HEARD: HB 1036 Del Rey, et al Firearms - Handgun Permit - Preliminary Approval
    HEARD: HB 1108 Del Rey Public Safety - Regulated Firearms - Disqualifying
    Crime
    HEARD: HB 1396 Del Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting a Handgun -
    Clippinger, et Penalties - Subsequent Offenders
    al
    HEARING NOW: HB 1398 Del Glass, et Public Safety - Police Profiling -
    al "Right-to-Carry" Permit
    HEARD: HB 1424 Del Criminal Procedure - Firearms - Transfer
    Atterbeary, et
    al
    HEARD: HB 1448 Del Davis, et Public Safety - Rifles and Shotguns - Transactions
    al
    HEARD: HB 1521 Del Rosenberg DHMH - Commission to Study Firearm Violence

So without me trying to search through thousands of posts can someone update me on the above bills as to if they were passed and will become law or if they were shitcanned. Or point link me to where I can check for myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom