• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    What's so bad about letting her get the gun she likes to learn with and enjoy first? :shrug: It's not like Hilary Clinton won't let her get another one ever again. Besides, you can't do this with a .380 https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=207579

Nothing is so bad, I'm actually content on her having her little 22, however she did ask me if there was something in between the 9mm and her 22, and that's the 380, so iI told her we'll give it a try. I'm just personally hoping she loves it, if she doesn't it's no big deal but I really wanted her to have the most fire power she could handle like I stated before.

I highly doubt she will want another firearm for a long long time after she gets her first one, she gets very attached to things and refuses to let them go lol, so she will have which ever one it is for year's.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Just my .02 but unless she raves about the .380 the same way as the SR22 you probly want to buy her the .22 or she is not going to join you at the range too often. Otoh if she likes the .380 you can still buy her the SR22 for her Birthday or Mothers Day( gave my wife a 10-22 then) and really score some brownie points. Happy Wife Happy Life.j

No doubt about that.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Nothing is so bad, I'm actually content on her having her little 22, however she did ask me if there was something in between the 9mm and her 22, and that's the 380, so iI told her we'll give it a try. I'm just personally hoping she loves it, if she doesn't it's no big deal but I really wanted her to have the most fire power she could handle like I stated before.

I highly doubt she will want another firearm for a long long time after she gets her first one, she gets very attached to things and refuses to let them go lol, so she will have which ever one it is for year's.

If she shot a nice 9mm 1911 she'd pick that over any .380 and have the firepower you want her to have.

I can't understand why peope think .380 is a low recoil cartridge or a nice "compromise" size gun. Its a concealment gun's cartridge for a concealment gun.

Where do you guys live and shoot? I'd like to let you both try a .9mm 1911.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    If she shot a nice 9mm 1911 she'd pick that over any .380 and have the firepower you want her to have.

I can't understand why peope think .380 is a low recoil cartridge or a nice "compromise" size gun. Its a concealment gun's cartridge for a concealment gun.

Where do you guys live and shoot? I'd like to let you both try a .9mm 1911.

Live in upper marlboro, shoot @ Maryland small arms unfortunately.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    Just my .02 but unless she raves about the .380 the same way as the SR22 you probly want to buy her the .22 or she is not going to join you at the range too often. Otoh if she likes the .380 you can still buy her the SR22 for her Birthday or Mothers Day( gave my wife a 10-22 then) and really score some brownie points. Happy Wife Happy Life.j

^^^^ This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Not sure either why people suggest a 380 for home/self defense over a 9mm other than the concealability factor. But even that is not an argument for the 380 anymore given the number of small and concealable 9mms on the market.
    Pros of 9mm: Cheap to shoot, extensive variety and amounts of practice and self defense ammo on the market, availability just about everywhere.
    Cons: None
    Pros of 380: None
    I had a S&W Body Guard 380 and although it was very concealable, the trigger was too long and heavy and the price of ammo made me decide to sell it. I can and do buy 9mm(as well as reload it) cheaper than I ever could buy 380 for. Not long ago I bought 9mm Federal HST 124gr $25/box of 50. I paid $20/box of 20 for 380 Critical Defense. If my wife liked the Glock 42, I'd be buying her the Glock 43 because to me it makes the 42 null and void.
    Ok, off of the 380 thing. If she wants a 22, get her one. Years ago when I lived in WV, my first carry gun was a Phoenix Arms 22 semi auto with 3" barrel. The 10 round magazines were loaded with Remington Yellow jackets. I shot chipmunks, red squirrels, rabbits, fox, targets etc on a daily basis with that thing. I did not feel the least under gunned with it because I knew I could shoot it very well as well as understanding the limitations of the caliber.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Inbetweens do exist, just that .380s usually ( make that almost always) aren't it .

Revolver-.22WMR from full length bbl. ( And some other , rather obscure things.)

Semiauto - .32acp , from a larger than microsized gun. Under rated in most people's mind. Performance just barely behind .380, with better expansion/ penetration tradeoffs than .380, with significantly less recoil .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom