• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trying to thread a 5.45 variant saiga and have a couple questions. 1)do I need to turn down the barrel even if it's at .569 Dia? 2)which side of the die am I supposed to be using to thread? (there's a straight down side of cutters and more of a vortex side on the other)

Reason I ask is I've read in a couple places that as long as the barrel isn't .591 (rare?) that I didn't need to turn down the barrel and just cut threads as normal along with a pilot. I'm cutting to 1/2x28 for a phantom flash hider.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    If you are threading for 1/2-28, then the OD of the barrel needs to be 0.500 before you start threading the die on. You use the tapered side of the die to start the thread (the side with the vortex :sad20: ). You turn the die around when you are almost done, and run the flat side of the die up to the shoulder.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Do with your rifle what you will, but if you were to switch out the FSB and GB for the correct set, you would increase the value of the rifle and you'll be able to run the effective AK 100 series muzzle brake.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Just using a die and taping can and usually does give a crooked thread. It should be done in a lathe with the tail stock used to support the die while the barrel is in the lathe chuck and centered. Should be a 4 jaw chuck with a spider at the other end of the spindle.

Only way to guarantee straight threads.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    Honestly, the one thing I don't care for is the barrel diameter. Thinking of getting an rpk barrel for it and investing in more tools :thumbsup:

You do know how valuable those rifles are getting? You're better off flipping it and getting something that would better fit your needs. You might make it out better in the long run. But once again it's your rifle. Also finding a 5.45 RPK type barrel is gonna be an expensive endeavor, ask me how I know:

6PuHjsX.jpg

Cheap option would be to find someone to machine a Green Mountain barrel blank.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom