• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I have an itch which unfortunately for my wallet is getting worse and worse! The new PTR9s are speaking to me and I can't help but really want one(like many others, I'll blame the Xmas movie Die Hard...tis the season!). Anyways, I was wondering people's opinions on the 9R, applying to make it an SBR, and chopping it once it was approved. I know the madness about transporting it out of state after that, but as I have nowhere to shoot out of state just yet that's not a huge concern. This is mainly for looks and that silly reason of just wanting one. Be smarter to just get the long barrel and enjoy it? SBR gets or even MP5 vets, give me the scoop! Worth it or just beat myself over the head till I want a scorpion or something even cheaper?

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I have an itch which unfortunately for my wallet is getting worse and worse! The new PTR9s are speaking to me and I can't help but really want one(like many others, I'll blame the Xmas movie Die Hard...tis the season!). Anyways, I was wondering people's opinions on the 9R, applying to make it an SBR, and chopping it once it was approved. I know the madness about transporting it out of state after that, but as I have nowhere to shoot out of state just yet that's not a huge concern. This is mainly for looks and that silly reason of just wanting one. Be smarter to just get the long barrel and enjoy it? SBR gets or even MP5 vets, give me the scoop! Worth it or just beat myself over the head till I want a scorpion or something even cheaper?

I’m assuming you are a Maryland resident. If so, keep in mind the 29” rule for SBRs. It’s a bit difficult to do with any of the MP5 clones.
    Having said that, I have a Zenith Z5P SBR and it is by far my favorite gun.
    PTR has a great rep so I don’t think you can go wrong with one. Good luck.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I would think about bracing the pistol version. Like rouchna said, OAL is difficult unless you keep the barrel a couple if inches longer or make a weird stock extension.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Since you want to SBR the rifle you have it a little easier than people that want to go the SBR route from a pistol since you can leave the barrel longer to make up however many inches you need to get it to 29” OAL (again assuming you are in Maryland). I’ve given up on getting one to SBR and instead I’m going to get one of their 9K pistols that just hit the roster and throw a folding brace on it.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    If you're going to go the MP5 route, I wouldn't consider anything other than HK, MKE or POF in that order. In my experience, each of the three functions as well as and has accuracy as good as the others but the finish is best on the HK and the worst on the POF. Anything else, including the PTR, is of lesser quality and it will show once you want/need to buy accessories and/or replacement parts. Yes, you will most likely pay more for HK/MKE/POF BUT you will be getting a better product.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    I should have clarified, yes I'm a Maryland resident, otherwise id probably be too busy shooting my m1a I'd have bought by now instead of this post! I figured the zenith's would be "too nice" to cut down, and I suppose to matter which option I went with if I got a tri lug device perm pinned/welded I could take that much more length off the barrel correct? I know there's better options financially/ergonomically than mp5 clones, but damn they are cool ya know?
    Combloc, it was my understanding that the PTR was to spec as actual hks in terms of being able to take replacement parts, is that not correct? I know the welded rail puts some people's hackles up, but for roughly 500 dollars less than a zenith I could put up with it!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    PTR says they are and you might get one that is. They also say the same about their PTR91's but there have been plenty over the years that were wonky. Personally, I only buy products made by defense contractors if I am able (sometimes that's simply not possible). I would rather spend the extra coin and KNOW the Quality is in there than spend less and HOPE it it's in there.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "cut down". I don't know about the PTR but MKE and POF come from the factory with muzzles that are both lugged and threaded:

P1130234_zpsmmsk8or8.jpg

P1130235_zpstwukgf3b.jpg

POF also has a swing down lower exactly like it was originally designed:
    P1130250_zpsj1nzuh5v.jpg

MKE has the newer design F Type bolt head but the POF does not (POF in center with MKE on the right):
    P1130262_zpswb2e1rcm.jpg

Both POF and MKE have tungsten filled bolt carriers too. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure the PTR does not.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I second or third, get the pistol and a brace. Mp5 is hard to get to 29" OAL. Chopping might get the barrel to the right length, but why do this when braces work fine for the $$. Chopping seems risky- you want it threaded to run a supressor, and getting it properly crowned and threaded concentrically seems very involved on an MP5. It's not like an AR where you just unscrew the barrel nut.

DetectiveWildman

Feb 27, 2018
    What would make cutting down a zenith z5 barrel or a PTR 9r barrel more involved than any other barrel? Not trying to sound shitty, just curious! I know a brace is more economical, but I've always been a stock guy and can't help myself. Sometimes if it's what you want, it's what you want. Just as much as I know I could get a hipoint or scorpion for 9mm blasting. Coolness factor is at least worth .5" moa isn't it??

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Cutting the barrel is easy, heck you can do that with a hacksaw. Cutting it, crowning it correctly, and threading it concentrically so you can mount a supressor might require a lathe. You might be able to do it by hand but if you mess it up, and cant run a can, you've thrown a lot of money down the toilet. Getting the barrel off to put it on a lathe is the tricky part. I looked at putting a longer barrel on my MP5 pistol so I could SBR it, decided it was not worth all the time and effort when the brace is fine.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    That's excellent advice. There are some REALLY good gunsmiths over at HKPro who live and breathe rollies. I'd recommend checking with them.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    You can't (easily) put a 3-lug on a cut down barrel. Half the coolness of a MP5 is to put a 3-lug suppressor on. It simply kicks butt compared to thread on types. Though there are threaded on 3-lug adapters now that I think about it.

It would be far simpler and cheaper to make a longer 29" complaint stock and add to a pistol than to cut down a rifle. Heck, its probably easier to press out a rifle barrel and press in a pistol one than to cut and thread the orig rifle bbl while in the receiver. You could pin/weld a factory 3-lug flash hider on a pistol bbl to make up some bbl length if you aren't going to use a suppressor. You don't actually need to pin it to the barrel, just pin it so that it can't come off the 3-lug (so no damage to the bbl if you ever want to remove it.)

FWIW, a tungsten filled carrier is not needed unless you have a $30k auto sear. (which you can't use in a POF gun anyway)

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Just to add fuel to the fire, HK is importing a semi auto MP5 in the next few weeks. MSRP is suppose to be around $2500.

Yes, it's more than the clones, but it's the real deal and will hold its value better. The downside is the HK fans are already expecting this and i'm sure most of the first shipment is already spoken for.

The other downside, bieng in MD we'll have to wait until it's on the handgun roster.

I've loved the MP5 since the original Die Hard back in the 80's.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Just to add fuel to the fire, HK is importing a semi auto MP5 in the next few weeks. MSRP is suppose to be around $2500.

Yes, it's more than the clones, but it's the real deal and will hold its value better. The downside is the HK fans are already expecting this and i'm sure most of the first shipment is already spoken for.

The other downside, bieng in MD we'll have to wait until it's on the handgun roster.

I've loved the MP5 since the original Die Hard back in the 80's.

I'd be interested if you can provide some info on the semi autos being imported?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom