• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Get yourself a PO Box. I use mine for my GMRS and ham licenses. Never had an issue.

I also used to let a ham in Italy use my box for his US license (you only need a US address for a license, not necessarily be a US resident).

It’s also good for general privacy. I’m at the point now where most databases have my PO Box instead of my house address.

I used to have a local PO box. From a privacy standpoint I use a fictional address that actually shows up in the address database as real. However that won’t work in applications where a real location is required, like the FCC license. I think this discussion has prompted me to go ahead and sign up for https://travelingmailbox.com/

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Parks On The Air (POTA) is another nonsedentary ham activity. We have a local club member here in MD who is rollin' on the road once or twice a week to transmit from a new park location with his portable set up. Sometimes he day trips, sometimes he spends a few days either camping or overnighting in a motel. He's just about a "Where's Waldo" for guessing where he will be next. There are thousands of parks within a day's drive around here.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Are you venturing into ELF?
    I like women a little taller and with a big butt.

No, I'm actually looking into ELF/VLF now but that's not what the cables were for. I started looking into it a while ago but got dissuaded because the reference material I read said to get out away from civilization but I've since learned from someone who is from this area that it's still possible.

Also, elves are racist, check the Woke of the Day thread.

Last edited:

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Parks On The Air (POTA) is another nonsedentary ham activity. We have a local club member here in MD who is rollin' on the road once or twice a week to transmit from a new park location with his portable set up. Sometimes he day trips, sometimes he spends a few days either camping or overnighting in a motel. He's just about a "Where's Waldo" for guessing where he will be next. There are thousands of parks within a day's drive around here.
    This is my ham goal for this year: CW POTA. The CW is coming slow though.

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    First: go to hamstudy.org and get an account (free). Register (requires email) then take the tech exam BEFORE you start studying.

Second: Get the ARRL technician's manual in spiral bound. Get the real book, not ebook, so you can take notes and easily flip back and forth. Read it cover-to-cover.

Third: Go back to hamstudy.org and re-take the tech test. It will tell you what category of questions you need more study on. In the back of the ARRL Technician's manual will be an index of pages by category. Go back and re-read them. If you log in with an account hamstudy.org will track your progress and what questions your struggling with the most--It will give you those questions more often.

Resist the urge to just memorize answers. My exception to this was in the electronic circuitry categories for my general test. I have no desire to build my own radio but it's still good to know. You really need to understand the FCC rules, general radio principles and safety. Feel free to ask questions and get involved with a local group.
    Thanks!

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks for the input. It is a dual bander. I'll consider today a win if I can assemble the thing and learn how to track a satellite for receive. My radio is a Yaesu FT-60r. I think it can do split frequencies.

Ultimately I would love to learn how to build a satellite tracking rotor with my Raspberry Pi. I know there are plenty of commercial solutions out there but my goal is to learn, not just do the contact.

Any other advice or resources?
    Here is what I use for Hamsat comms: https://www.arrowantennas.com/arrowii/alaskanarrow.html

I use an HT for a transceiver, and I use a basic camera tripod to manually track the satellites.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    Thanks. That's a much nicer antenna than the one I have.

When you say you "track the satellites" how do you do that from your camera tripod? Do you have a motor or do you just do it manually?
    I do it manually and use sat tracker. I will set out a compass roe on the ground in paint as a quick reference and I have a magnetic angle finder as an inclinometer. Has worked well for the past 10+ years for a field day contact/bonus.

Antarctica

YEEEEEHAWWW!!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2012
    Southern Anne Arundel
    I like this series of books. They have only the correct answers. As the author says, why study hundreds of wrong answers?

Amazon product ASIN B09TRXHRCQ
    This -

Most of the material in study books is outdated or so minimal its useless. Memorize the answers, get your ticket and then learn what interests you. And make sure you get at least a general class ticket.

IMHO the number one thing that dissuades new operators is the tech class license. They get all fired up to play ham radio, get their license and quickly find out that VHF more or less sucks for anything other than BS'ing - and they never get a taste of HF so they wash out of the hobby.

kshaw

Nov 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Kshaw I see you are not shy about giving out your name and address
    Not much point in hiding. The FAA posts my address online in two databases, Maryland shows your address in its real estate tax records, and my location is displayed on a map when I do APRS or D-Stars.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    This -

Most of the material in study books is outdated or so minimal its useless. Memorize the answers, get your ticket and then learn what interests you. And make sure you get at least a general class ticket.

IMHO the number one thing that dissuades new operators is the tech class license. They get all fired up to play ham radio, get their license and quickly find out that VHF more or less sucks for anything other than BS'ing - and they never get a taste of HF so they wash out of the hobby.
    It only took 2 hours to renew my Tech License using not 1 but 2 FCC databases Core and FAA to achomplish this feat and then on the the 3rd payment site. Communications and basic Website design are not a strong FCC strong points. I am beginning to undstand why it takes SpaceX so long for FCC permits etc. :-)

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    Are there any in person introductory type classes? Not to get your license, just a simple “here are the basics of ham.”
    That's kinda what the Technician's course is supposed to do. It goes over the basics of "what is radio", how they work, how they are regulated and how to effectively communicate using them. The test is to test your knowledge on those subjects, not just have a hurdle.

This guy is good on YT:

I'm sure there's a bunch more. Be careful though there are popular hams on YT that are not accurate.

Another suggestion is to attend this year's field day, 4th full weekend in June. Contact your local club and ask them if you can hang out and ask questions. You'll probably get a free lunch and dinner out of it.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Are there any in person introductory type classes? Not to get your license, just a simple “here are the basics of ham.”
    Some clubs offer 'Technician' level courses either in person or via Zoom <spit>. This 'Tech class', as Jim points out below, IS the beginner course and can be very useful.
    That's kinda what the Technician's course is supposed to do. It goes over the basics of "what is radio", how they work, how they are regulated and how to effectively communicate using them. The test is to test your knowledge on those subjects, not just have a hurdle.

This guy is good on YT:

I'm sure there's a bunch more. Be careful though there are popular hams on YT that are not accurate.

Another suggestion is to attend this year's field day, 4th full weekend in June. Contact your local club and ask them if you can hang out and ask questions. You'll probably get a free lunch and dinner out of it.
    The Field Day suggestion is an excellent idea. Good opportunity to get hands on and learn practical operations. You can even operate a radio under supervision of a licensed operator.

Our club sets up at Downs Park (AA County) and welcomes new operators and visitors. I had a radio running once with about 6 yet-to-be-licensed kids around the table taking turns operating under my control. They were talking to other operators all over the country and having a blast.

K3LAG

I've finally got a permanent HF antenna on the way up. 6 band vertical. It's the complete DXEngineering package. I probably won't have it completely up and running for several weeks as I have a fair bit of grounding and other work to do. I want to get the radials in before the grass really starts growing though.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I've finally got a permanent HF antenna on the way up. 6 band vertical. It's the complete DXEngineering package. I probably won't have it completely up and running for several weeks as I have a fair bit of grounding and other work to do. I want to get the radials in before the grass really starts growing though.
    Congrats!

Question about radials for the vertical HF's: Do you just lay them on the ground or do you bury them or maybe attach them to some anchor so they make good contact with the ground?

PM me if you want to try and make contact via groundwave. I'm in Hanover PA. I have a horizontal 130' EFHW and a portable vertical I'd like to try.

K3LAG

Congrats!

Question about radials for the vertical HF's: Do you just lay them on the ground or do you bury them or maybe attach them to some anchor so they make good contact with the ground?

PM me if you want to try and make contact via groundwave. I'm in Hanover PA. I have a horizontal 130' EFHW and a portable vertical I'd like to try.
    You cut the grass real short, lay the radials on the ground and hold them to the ground with biodegradable staples every 6ft or so. Once the grass gets to growing in the spring the grass will actually kind of pull the radial tight to the ground and you can forget about them. They will be tight enough to the ground you can mow over them and such with no issues. Electrically, they don't have to make good ground contact but you want them as tight to the ground as possible so they don't cause mowing problems.

DXEngineering's instructions tell you all you want to know and more. They are quite good and worth checking out.

https://static.dxengineering.com/global/images/instructions/dxe-hsr-4btv-p3.pdf

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    The Carroll County Amateur Radio Club is helping the estate of a Silent Key. The SK had amassed thousands of military fiberglass masts and the club is selling them on behalf of the estate. You do NOT need a google account to complete the form.

I have recently been given the OK to move forward with the sale of the 4' FIberglass poles! Attached is a form to fill out letting me know who is interested. If you have any questions, please let me know
    SK Estate Sale: Fiberglass Poles (4 ft. Military Masts, Used)
    A significant quantity of used military 4' green fiberglass poles has become available to the Ham Radio Community. These poles have been stored outdoors in the elements so they are dirty, however they appear to be in good shape.

They are offered as follows:
    Full Bags ($60): 24 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Half Bags($35): 12 fiberglass poles in an original military heavy vinyl bag.
    Individual Poles ($3/each): 1 fiberglass pole, no bag.
    Bulk Poles (negotiable): Large quantity (500+)
    3 Arm Spreaders ($1): Initially used at the top of the mast to prevent poles from tearing through camo netting, Can be used to make guy wire guides / rings.
    Mast Base ($15): Limited number of 12" (approx) round base to help stabilize post.

Initially, two pick up dates will be Saturday APRIL 15, 2023 and Saturday APRIL 22, 2023 between 0900 and 1500. Pickup location will be in FINKSBURG, MD (about 6 miles east of Westminster, MD). If you are unable to make these dates, additional pick up arrangement may be made. Poles will NOT be shipped to any location.

Payment: Cash is preferred, however Venmo / Credit Card may be available at pickup time (will be determined closer to pickup date).

There is NO LIMIT to the number of bags / poles you can purchase. Feel free to purchase lots and resell at Ham Fests!

Questions? Contact:
    John Stephens / KC3FDL
    KC3FDL at GMAIL.COM

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom