• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I really don't see much difference over 9mm JHP ammo performance from what it was 20 years ago. IMHO .40 is still a much better round for stopping a threat. But what do I know. I only spent 25 years in law enforcement and 6 more in the commercial firearms industry itself. How can I compare with people who go on Youtube to shoot turnips in their backyard or who have never completed an ammo contract in their lives telling us exactly how every police department in the country makes it's purchasing decisions. I'll listen only to scientific independent tests of ammunition performance, and I could also care less what claims any ammo manufacturer tells me about their product. I think the real reason PD's like the 9mm again is the inability of millennial recruits to handle the snappy recoil of the .40. But, it isn't what the mutual admiration societies of the internet gun boards say so I'm probably wrong.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I once saw Jon Wick kill 2 men in a bar with a Pencil, A PENCIL!

As an aside, you know you're a dog lover when you watch a movie where a guy spends two hours killing about 600 people with up-close head shots in revenge for someone killing his dog, and the one part you always have to skip over is the dog part, because that's disturbing.

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    I've heard some officers speculating that the change is because the 9mm isn't as deadly so they are switching for liability issues...to me that's hard to believe that would be the reason but in this age of endless litigation and the potential for civil unrest when one group believes all police involved shooting deaths are caused by racist and abusive officers I can easily see some people ( certain politicians) thinking like that.

That's some high level tin foil right there. Not directed at you; what those officers supposedly said/think.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    I really don't see much difference over 9mm JHP ammo performance from what it was 20 years ago. IMHO .40 is still a much better round for stopping a threat. But what do I know. I only spent 25 years in law enforcement and 6 more in the commercial firearms industry itself. How can I compare with people who go on Youtube to shoot turnips in their backyard or who have never completed an ammo contract in their lives telling us exactly how every police department in the country makes it's purchasing decisions. I'll listen only to scientific independent tests of ammunition performance, and I could also care less what claims any ammo manufacturer tells me about their product. I think the real reason PD's like the 9mm again is the inability of millennial recruits to handle the snappy recoil of the .40. But, it isn't what the mutual admiration societies of the internet gun boards say so I'm probably wrong.

This!!!

Ballistics has come a long way in 20 yrs. I remember when I went from 9mm to .40 cal. Now I'm back to 9mm 20 yrs later.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    As an aside, you know you're a dog lover when you watch a movie where a guy spends two hours killing about 600 people with up-close head shots in revenge for someone killing his dog, and the one part you always have to skip over is the dog part, because that's disturbing.

So true:thumbsup:

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When the FBI worked with S&W to create the .40 (10mm lite) ammo because the 10mm they were using had to much recoil, they then adopted the .40 instead of 10mm. Once that happened, many PD followed the FBI lead and adopted the caliber, especially when Glock started producing the .40 semi auto.

The 10mm is superior in every way but it proved too much recoil and muzzle flash for some agents so the 40 was invented, then adopted.

I have several Smith and Wesson 10mm 3rd gen pistols and a G29SF. Sold my G20SF because I wasn't shootin it much.

The best pistol round ever invented IMHO.

Dec 7, 2018
    When the FBI worked with S&W to create the .40 (10mm lite) ammo because the 10mm they were using had to much recoil, they then adopted the .40 instead of 10mm. Once that happened, many PD followed the FBI lead and adopted the caliber, especially when Glock started producing the .40 semi auto.

The 10mm is superior in every way but it proved too much recoil and muzzle flash for some agents so the 40 was invented, then adopted.

I have several Smith and Wesson 10mm 3rd gen pistols and a G29SF. Sold my G20SF because I wasn't shootin it much.

The best pistol round ever invented IMHO.

Funny thing is, back in the day, DC cops used the glock 17 and still does and Maryland cops like PG county and MSP use Beretta 92f both 9mm, since the switched over from revolvers and they didn't go to the .40 cal when the FBI did back then but MSP and PG sure did seem to find some benefit in using it since 2008. From my understanding they needed more stopping power and they sure don't seem to be wanting to follow the FBI in the switching back to 9mm decision now. Funny

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013

I am not sure what you mean by performance. Ballistically there is no real difference. How easily they expand has changed. I think your time frame is a little off though. 40 came out in 1990, which is more like 30 years ago. The more reliably expanding ammo also came out around the same time. Think hydroshock (88) and black talon (91).

IIRC, a MSP aviation trooper dropped a perp with 2 shots center mass, a few years ago in Frederick. I believe the first shot killed the perp.

As for performance and statistic of calibers, I found the following article interesting.

https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/alternate-look-handgun-stopping-power

Confirms what the doctor in a previous posts was saying handgun calibers really are not as big a deal as some make them out to be.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I am not sure what you mean by performance. Ballistically there is no real difference. How easily they expand has changed. I think your time frame is a little off though. 40 came out in 1990, which is more like 30 years ago. The more reliably expanding ammo also came out around the same time. Think hydroshock (88) and black talon (91).

Thanks for the tip on when .40 came out. But I kinda remember since I was there for it. I don't think you really grasped what I was saying. Anyway, just saying that there is no real difference in ballistics does not make it so. Most of the tests I have read from neutral sources show most quality 9mm JHP struggling to expand even over a half-inch, while most quality .40 JHP tends to reliably run .60-.65" in expansion. When talking about overall surface area .50 inches in diameter gives a total surface area of .39 square inches, .65 inches in diameter give a total surface area of .66 inches squared. So these numbers that the gun writers declare are "insignificant" really aren't. What's insignificant is the level of knowledge the great majority of the internet gun blog press seems to have with anything beyond walking around acting self-important and asking for free hats at Shot Show, and annoying the industry professionals who have to pretend to care what they think. Wound cavity is another aspect not measured and seemingly not understood by much of Google Gun public. It's significantly larger with .40 ammunition, people are welcome to research this on their own if they don''t believe me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom