• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    I've fallen down the OTF rabbit hole in the last year. The family keeps growing. No safety concerns with any of these and all solidly constructed.

View attachment 414239
    How do you like that Benchmade Shootout? It's on the short list along with Kershaw's live wire.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    How do you like that Benchmade Shootout? It's on the short list along with Kershaw's live wire.

It's actually my favorite (aside from the Ultratech Tanto) and gets the lion's share of EDC. It's a whole lot lighter than the MTs. The action has been like clockwork, not a single hiccup, and the CPM-cruwear blade takes and keeps a ridiculously sharp edge. When I picked it up, I was wondering how a poly handle would do on an OTF, but after carrying it for a while, no worries on that front.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    It's actually my favorite (aside from the Ultratech Tanto) and gets the lion's share of EDC. It's a whole lot lighter than the MTs. The action has been like clockwork, not a single hiccup, and the CPM-cruwear blade takes and keeps a ridiculously sharp edge. When I picked it up, I was wondering how a poly handle would do on an OTF, but after carrying it for a while, no worries on that front.
    Cool thanks. I like the blade shape compared to the dagger style of the others. It seems much more edc friendly.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Cool thanks. I like the blade shape compared to the dagger style of the others. It seems much more edc friendly.
    The backs of the top two aren't actually sharp - they're true tanto blades, not really daggers. The tops of those are just beveled a bit towards the spine - assuming MT did it to cut weight.

backblade.jpg

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    For safe carry I'd be inclined to prefer an OTF over a folder, simply because of the effort needed to deploy the blade. Folders are stronger, but I can flip my Benchmade Contego about as quickly as my Benchmade auto, while avoiding accidental bloodshed and potential legal complications.

Last edited:

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    An OTF can be really tough.
    Lot of abuse there. Obviously the blade is tough.

I suspect that side-to-side or twisting would demonstrate any weakness in the blade/handle connection. I did notice that all forces were applied either directly onto the top of the blade, or on the back of the knife along the long axis.

I have to admit I was surprised that hammering the knife thru the 2x4 like a nail didn't destroy the lockup. It would have been interesting to see the knife disassembled after the testing, to examine the state of its innards.

My impression of the delicacy of OTF knives will have to be considerably upgraded in light of this demonstration. They just don't look like they could stand up to this kind of punishment.

llkoolkeg

Hairy Flaccid Member
    The backs of the top two aren't actually sharp - they're true tanto blades, not really daggers. The tops of those are just beveled a bit towards the spine - assuming MT did it to cut weight.

View attachment 414330

Although not traditional tanto shapes, MT tantos are wicked modern variants that do possess some "tips of the cap" to traditional tanto elements like [stiffening & weight-saving] fullers or bo-hi, cormorant's neck or u-no-kubi profiles to the spine or mune and geometric tip or yokote profiling. That is a very nice assortment of OTFs.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

View attachment 414330
    After admiring far too many of the recent blade profiles, I'm coming to the conclusion that they shape and contour and coat the blades the way they do mostly for aesthetic effect; the things are really beautiful, and it's amusing to contemplate just how they get to the final shape and form.

It's a matter of "hold my beer and watch what my CNC can do!" or so it seems to me. And really, there's nothing wrong with that . . . except that it's made me buy way too many knives.

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    This was delivered today. Buck 835. Super sharp factory edge, quality feel although a bit heavy and thicker than I'm used to. Happy with it
    20230604_153323.jpg
    20230604_153313.jpg
    20230604_153300.jpg
    20230604_153250.jpg

Attachments

• 20230604_153331.jpg
      20230604_153331.jpg
      336.7 KB · Views: 49

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Dexter just came out with a new made in USA model.
    Serrated on the back and regular hollow ground blade on the other side.

Ordered one and it should be here tomorrow - anxious to see how it works out.

The theory is to use the backside when cutting through scales, skin and bones and flip it over when cutting the meat off the spine and ribcage.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 6.14.46 AM.png

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    One thing that I notice about the 835 is the clip extends past the end if the knife. Knife sits deeper in my pocket than other clip knives that I own. I like that.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Lot of abuse there. Obviously the blade is tough.

I suspect that side-to-side or twisting would demonstrate any weakness in the blade/handle connection. I did notice that all forces were applied either directly onto the top of the blade, or on the back of the knife along the long axis.

I have to admit I was surprised that hammering the knife thru the 2x4 like a nail didn't destroy the lockup. It would have been interesting to see the knife disassembled after the testing, to examine the state of its innards.

My impression of the delicacy of OTF knives will have to be considerably upgraded in light of this demonstration. They just don't look like they could stand up to this kind of punishment.
    For that style of OTF, you have about an inch of blade tang riding in the track. basically hardened steel riding in hard anodized aluminum with a top plate bolted on, so twisting, or pushing down or up to cut, the design is stronger with more contact area than most any side opening, or manual locking blade. Some cheap ones with soft/brittle aluminum and poor fit can dent, gouge or crack the housing, but not anything with good milled aluminum like Microtech or Heretic. There is a small pin that stops the blade from flying out when deployed, it's sufficient, and really only stressed when pulling a blade out of tough material. The locks are the weakest point, a small steel tab in milled pockets that spring into place on the back of the blade tang. These have the greatest stress when stabbing, but it's a steel on steel contact between the lock and blade, that usually doesn't wear or get damaged easily, but the back, where it contacts the aluminum handle is probably the weakest point. Even so it's about 1/4" or more wide and usually fails by the handle cracking , and the lock jamming inward, usually more than sufficient, and in the Manticore's case strong enough to hammer through a 2X4. The actuator plate is thin steel, usually not stressed though, the springs can fail, then it turns into a gravity knife, but easy fix most manufacturers will replace under warranty, or send out. For me they are ideal for most things where I don't need a broad blade, strong, easy 1 hand opening/closing, slim in the pocket, lightweight, locks closed securely, pretty much no downside other than cost for a good one and the nonsense ban in many places.
    maxresdefault (4).jpg

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    I was finally able to find a sandtrooper from Microtech. My collection now has JK, JM, SL, BH and SandT. I am still looking for a stormtrooper. If you have know anyone who is selling, please let me know.

Thanks.

IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom