• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ar15dave

AR15Dave
    Jun 10, 2008
    Monrovia, MD
    Thanks. It was easier than I thought it would be when I used some wood protectors on the upper receiver. Much like what I saw on Brownell's. I just used what I had in the shop, no problem.

I do need some basic gunsmith tools for simple stuff, though.

Sweet! yeah I put together a tool set for ARs and got some spare parts for some of my stuff like my Berettas. Got a 92 and a 96.

Would love to hook up and do some silencer shooting.

Dave

tcc722

Jul 3, 2010
    PA
    Hopefully he is just busy. I won't worry until the Form 3 fails to clear after 3-4 weeks. We're entering week 3 now.

Hmmm.... Payment cleared on 6/18. Waiting for the form 3 now, and for the can to be shipped to Skip. This is my first purchase, so I'm unsure on how long it takes. What do you think? Give it another week, then call Maj?

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    I just called the NFA to check on some apps. Was chatting with the ATF rep, and the rep noted that the ATF gets a large influx of applications right after tax time, theory being that lots of people use their tax return money to buy themselves some NFA.

So he says that April and May are big volume months.

Rugbier

Jul 19, 2010
    MD
    I just called the NFA to check on some apps. Was chatting with the ATF rep, and the rep noted that the ATF gets a large influx of applications right after tax time, theory being that lots of people use their tax return money to buy themselves some NFA.

So he says that April and May are big volume months.

I think it is more like now everything happens in WV they are slower in the process

Mega

Wolverine
    Feb 18, 2009
    Lewes, DE
    They signed for my paperwork on Monday, so we'll see how long it takes for approval.
    I'm trying to be optimistic. :)

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Hmmm.... Payment cleared on 6/18. Waiting for the form 3 now, and for the can to be shipped to Skip. This is my first purchase, so I'm unsure on how long it takes. What do you think? Give it another week, then call Maj?

Sorry, I just caught your question.

Skip got the can about a week after I posted that. So it took about 3.5 weeks. I sent it in a day later, so it should go pending in the next two weeks or so.

I still have two Form 1s sent with a Form 4 back in March/April. The Form 4 cleared weeks ago and I picked up the can from Skip. But the Form 1s are still outstanding. Different examiners.

Skip's examiner works pretty well.

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    Just did a form 4 in 9 weeks.

As of today, I am also now also at 9 weeks on a Form 4 for a factory SBR. My papers were received at the ATF around May 1 and went pending on May 21.

Heck, the dealer ordered the thing at the end of Feb...waited for it to come in to the dealer...waited for MSP sign off...waited to go pending...waiting another 9+ weeks....

I'm figuring on 6 months from purchase to possession. That's one heck of a Brady wait!

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    This is killing me.
    Has anyone ever noticed if there is a delay from when the examiner affixes the stamp to when the call center knows the app is approved and can report that on the phone?

80thdiv313fa

Jul 8, 2009
    Maine
    I'm on day 149 for a form 1 SBR pending with Nancy Flanigan. I just don't see why some people get theirs back in two months and mine is going on 6 :confused: I also have a suppressor that went pending in the end of June. If I get lucky maybe I will see them both by Christmas :mad54:

CMOS

One ragged donut hole
    Nov 13, 2009
    MoCo
    So is there no way to inquire about the status for real? Sure, we can all call the hotline and ask what's up, but is there any way to contact the examiner and get some real information?
    Can we send the examiner a letter and ask (a) if there is a problem and (b) what the estimated time for a determination is?

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I work for the government, and my guess is that your better off just leaving them alone. Being a squeaky wheel is more likely to get you on the bottom of the pile than the top.

-Jim

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I'm on day 149 for a form 1 SBR pending with Nancy Flanigan. I just don't see why some people get theirs back in two months and mine is going on 6 :confused: I also have a suppressor that went pending in the end of June. If I get lucky maybe I will see them both by Christmas :mad54:

I got two Form 1s with the same Nancy Flanagan that went pending in early April. A Form 4 for silencer went pending at the same time with Sandra Snooks and I've had it for weeks now. No word on the Form 1s as yet.

Some of the examiners are just plain slow. Work is assigned by the name of the entity making the request - so my silencer went through Snooks because my FFL is assigned to her. The first initial of my trust is "P", and that means Flanagan for anything I file direct (Form 1s).

As it stands, I'd rather have had the silencer go fast, so no complaints from me. The SBRs can wait a bit.

Right now I have two SBR applications and one more silencer app in the pile.

Go to NFAtracker.com to enter your information (takes about 10 minutes) and to see approximate times for this stuff.

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region

I have a silencer that went pending with Nancy in late March. Looks like I have a few more months to wait. :(

I had an interesting email exchange with my examiner last week when inquiring about a customer’s form 4 status which was submitted January 4th. I then called the general line to inquire about a different transfer and was told the same info, unsolicited by the way. Here is the body of the email, and since y’all know how examiners are assigned it shouldn’t be hard to figure who it is.

Hi Mr. Gross,
    Yes, that application went pending on 3/25/10. Right now all of our form 1 and 4 applications are running about 4 months from the day they go pending. Mr. XXXX’s application will be getting processed tomorrow. Please feel free to give him my direct line (304-xxx-xxxx) so he can call this office directly and get the very same information. :-) If there aren’t any problems with the application or the background check, then it should be approved tomorrow and mailed out on Friday. If there are any problems I will let you know right away.

Thanks
    XXXXX

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom