• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    We are debating moving to the Taylorsville/Winfield area. My wife's commute would remain the same, it would add about 20 minutes to my parents' drive to my house and vice versa, and it looks like there is still some open area out there. I would be alright there, but I want to make sure my wife is alright with it. "Happy wife, happy life."

Question is, is it too rural right now? How long will it stay like that?

Nearest Capital One Bank appears to be Mount Airy (a client banks there).
    Nearest PNC is right there on 26.
    Ace Hardware is right there on 26 too.
    Gas is available at 26/27.
    Elementary school and High School are close, but it appears that the middle school is in Mount Airy. Not too happy with that.
    Transfer station/landfill - what has your experience been with that? I was trying to read up on it and I cannot make any sense of it. Looks like there is one around Hoods Mill, but there is a fee for almost everything, including flourescent lights. What about oil and antifreeze disposal?

Grocery Shopping? What is the closest place to buy food that is not a convenience store?

Post office? Is Eldersburg the closest post office?

What about shooting out that way. If I bought 10 acres, would I be able to shoot on it without the neighbors calling the cops all the time?

Saw that a business park/strip mall is about to be built just east of the 26/27 intersection on 26. Any idea what is coming there?

What is awesome about the area?

What do you wish was improved about the area?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I just responded in the other thread. You can shoot on 10 acres if the lot is shaped correctly, you have a good berm/backstop, and neighbors are far enough away. Sure, neighbors can call the sheriff's office but deputies won't do anything unless you're being stupid (setup not safe, too close to other homes, shooting too early or late, mag dumps). People with good acreage shoot at houses near me all the time. Only time I've seen a deputy respond was for a nuisance call because the shooter kept doing mag dumps with a semi-auto big bore.

What's too rural to you? It's 10-15 minutes to drive to Mount Airy, Eldersburg, and Westminster. To me, that's not rural. It's the outer burbs.

IMO, best place to grocery shop is Weis. There's one in Mount Airy and one in Eldersburg.

Just hire a trash company to pick your trash. I use Area Refuse. Costs $7 per week. They'll take away large items or large piles for a modest fee if you call to schedule a pickup. I've had them do it a few times.

Mount Airy has free oil and antifreeze reclamation tanks on Prospect Road near Main Street. I use it all the time. http://www.mountairymd.org/Directory.aspx?DID=14

Best thing about the area by far (out in the county): it's like living in free America. For the most part, it's the opposite of the douchebag areas that pollute the counties to the east and south. Second best thing, it's very heavily armed. Burglaries and crime in general are pretty rare. Neighbors tend to look out for each other.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I just responded in the other thread. You can shoot on 10 acres if the lot is shaped correctly, you have a good berm/backstop, and neighbors are far enough away. Sure, neighbors can call the sheriff's office but deputies won't do anything unless you're being stupid (setup not safe, too close to other homes, shooting too early or late, mag dumps). People with good acreage shoot at houses near me all the time. Only time I've seen a deputy respond was for a nuisance call because the shooter kept doing mag dumps with a semi-auto big bore.

What's too rural to you? It's 10-15 minutes to drive to Mount Airy, Eldersburg, and Westminster. To me, that's not rural. It's the outer burbs.

IMO, best place to grocery shop is Weis. There's one in Mount Airy and one in Eldersburg.

Just hire a trash company to pick your trash. I use Area Refuse. Costs $7 per week. They'll take away large items or large piles for a modest fee if you call to schedule a pickup. I've had them do it a few times.

Mount Airy has free oil and antifreeze reclamation tanks on Prospect Road near Main Street. I use it all the time. http://www.mountairymd.org/Directory.aspx?DID=14

Best thing about the area by far (out in the county): it's like living in free America. For the most part, it's the opposite of the douchebag areas that pollute the counties to the east and south. Second best thing, it's very heavily armed. Burglaries and crime in general are pretty rare. Neighbors tend to look out for each other.

Thanks. I was wondering about trash pickup. That solves that question. My parents had to deal with that to a degree in Montgomery County, but then the county took it over and just added the cost to their property tax bill.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    Thanks. I was wondering about trash pickup. That solves that question. My parents had to deal with that to a degree in Montgomery County, but then the county took it over and just added the cost to their property tax bill.
    I'll throw a fly in the ointment and say use Hughes Trash Removal. :)

We had Area, and they kept screwing up. We pay $72/quarter.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    Transfer station/landfill - what has your experience been with that? I was trying to read up on it and I cannot make any sense of it. Looks like there is one around Hoods Mill, but there is a fee for almost everything, including flourescent lights. What about oil and antifreeze disposal?

I don't live in that exact area and my kids go to different schools, but I can answer your questions about the Hoods Mill transfer station.

Oil and antifreeze dropoff is free, there are tanks for each there. There may be a limit posted, but if so it's reasonably large and besides, no one checks, so as long as you are't dumping huge amounts from a business you're probably ok.

Dropoff of metal/scrap items is free, as is yard debris and many other recycleables, like styrofoam, cardboard, paper.

I don't know about fees for flourescent bulbs, but if you mean CFLs you can drop those at Lowes or HD.

There is a fee (by weight) for household trash, but as others said, just use a service.

The only drawback to Hoods Mill is that it is only open 2 Saturdays a month (1st/3rd I think...). That is a compromise; it used to be an open landfill... then became just a transfer station.... then they made plans to close it to save operating costs. Locals complained, so they open it twice a month now. If those days don't work for you, you'll have to make a trip up to Westminster.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Maybe worth mentioning. Carroll County has single-stream cycling. Everything in one big blue can. I love that.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    Carroll is doing a comprehensive rezoning process. http://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/compplanning/rezoning/comprezoning/
    I love it here and agree with Boom. The strip center signs have been in the are at 26 and 27 for a while, so when it happens is up for grabs i guess. That intersection sucks in afternoon rush hour, can take 5 or more mins to go thru it. hopefully new construction in the area will fix that. A traffic light is soon to be added at the 27 and Gillis Falls / Harrisville intersection. It will take a while to build as they are going to align Gillis Falls and Harrisville rds. Schools are good, the line for South Carroll High is kinda screwy, Woodbine road feeds Century... unless that has changed recently. Don't assume kids will go to the closest schools. Tax bill contains 2 coupons for 1/4 (i think) ton of trash at the dump. I would stay away from an area that has an HOA or is an incorporated city (Mount Airy) . Paid trash pick up includes recycling. Cable might not be available. Some areas have Natural Gas some don't.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    I use 777 Sanitation 69 bucks a 1/4. Kind of weird, 4 different trash companies picking up in a small neighborhood.
    Don't bother with the dump Monday and Tuesdays because the Hap Baker range facility is always closed to the public on Monday and Tuesday. ;)
    But we do have a fairly nice range!

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Almost forgot. No rain tax. IIRC, CC sends MD one penny for each property owner. No bill sent to property owners. CC has a magical way of giving MD the old one-finger salute.

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    It's a totally different area from liberal hoco. I call it west of 97 syndrome....in a good way. You'll need to attend auctions, lots of them. It's the way everyone gets to know each other. I owned a shop near the ace hardware. They have better stuff than Clarke's in hoco. It's a different world that way but in a good way.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Was ready to put an offer on a house yesterday, and then our realtor let us know that the house had restrictive covenants with the deed. No working on vehicles in the driveway, no cutting down trees unless they are dead, no more than 2 dogs, boats and trailers must be garaged, must get approval from the architectural committee before building a garage, shed, or any other permanent structure including a hedge over 2 feet high, no chickens allowed, no temporary structures allowed. Looked at 4 houses in Carroll County on Thursday, liked this one a lot and only went to look at it because the seller's realtor said there was no HOA. Get ready to present a contract and the seller's realtor goes, "oh by the way, there are restrictive covenants". If it wasn't against the law to kick somebody, I would be kicking.

Today, I looked online at every house for sale in Carroll County that is between 500k and 800k, and nothing really excites me. DAMN Guess I am going to have to be patient, what with it being a virtue and all.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    That's BS. I live in a "fancy" neighborhood in the county without any of those restrictions. No HOA. Zoned agricultural. Some of my neighbors have goats and chickens in the yard. Neighbor up the street has one or two horses. Can build a big garage or barn as long as it meets county setback. One neighbor built a big barn. All fine by me.

Which neighborhood did you look in?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    That's BS. I live in a "fancy" neighborhood in the county without any of those restrictions. No HOA. Zoned agricultural. Some of my neighbors have goats and chickens in the yard. Neighbor up the street has one or two horses. Can build a big garage or barn as long as it meets county setback. One neighbor built a big barn. All fine by me.

Which neighborhood did you look in?

Yeah, to say I am pissed would be an understatement.

Let me know if any homes come up for sale in your "development". Looking for 4+ bedrooms and 2+ acres with no BS restrictions on the use of the property.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You missed the houses directly across the street from me (one acre) and directly behind me (three acres) by about three months. Both sold for $550K. The one across the street originally sold for $650K at the peak of the last bubble. Really nice home. I'm looking at Zillow and nothing for sale right now. Will PM you if any for sale signs go up. Houses here sell quickly, typically in a week or two.

mesmithwesson

Jan 8, 2013
    Was ready to put an offer on a house yesterday, and then our realtor let us know that the house had restrictive covenants with the deed. No working on vehicles in the driveway, no cutting down trees unless they are dead, no more than 2 dogs, boats and trailers must be garaged, must get approval from the architectural committee before building a garage, shed, or any other permanent structure including a hedge over 2 feet high, no chickens allowed, no temporary structures allowed. Looked at 4 houses in Carroll County on Thursday, liked this one a lot and only went to look at it because the seller's realtor said there was no HOA. Get ready to present a contract and the seller's realtor goes, "oh by the way, there are restrictive covenants". If it wasn't against the law to kick somebody, I would be kicking.

Today, I looked online at every house for sale in Carroll County that is between 500k and 800k, and nothing really excites me. DAMN Guess I am going to have to be patient, what with it being a virtue and all.

HOA = Association pays to fight the code violator
    Covenant = YOU pay to fight the code violator

If no one complains about what you do (HOA/Cov), you’re good to go.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom