• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    If Ruger would begin selling Minis that use generic AR magazines they might sell a lot more. Having a comparatively expensive and proprietary magazine in today's market limits the sales potential. Once the AR-10 type rifle makers standardized on the P-mag it made selling them easier.

Tapco gen 2 magazines work at least as well as Ruger mags. $15

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/tapco-ruger-mini-14-gen-ii-223-5-56-30-round-magazine.html

I think the mini looks best with a 20 rounder

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Tapco gen 2 magazines work at least as well as Ruger mags. $15

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/tapco-ruger-mini-14-gen-ii-223-5-56-30-round-magazine.html

I think the mini looks best with a 20 rounder

Yes they do :thumbsup:

1z4zol1.jpg

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is the best I could get my Mini-14 to shoot yesterday at the AGC. Rock solid bench rest with a Weaver riflescope. at 100 yards.

55gr .223 ball. I think I'm going to head out there again tomorrow, and see if I can tighten it up.

It's a challenge now, me against the gun and the gun against me :)

Capture.JPG

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    When was your Mini made? Earlier examples had a reputation for so-so accuracy at best. It was eventually determined that poor barrel harmonics were the source. Once that was addressed accuracy improved. I'm not sure of the time period that change was instituted or what serial number.

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    When was your Mini made? Earlier examples had a reputation for so-so accuracy at best. It was eventually determined that poor barrel harmonics were the source. Once that was addressed accuracy improved. I'm not sure of the time period that change was instituted or what serial number.
    I have had a few and they definitely got better with time. Did they call it barrel whip on the old longer pencil thin barrels?
    My newest tactical with shorter stout barrel has been the most accurate. Of course, not woth me but my son is just about surgical with it.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County

IIRC, the improved models began with the 58"x" and up serial numbers.

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    I've got an old one where we were warned off of shooting 5.56 ammo, and restrict ourselves to .223 only, before Ruger changed the chamber design. It's accuracy leaves a lot to be desired.

I have several Michell Arms 40 round stainless steel mags, some still in unopened packages. Does anyone know where/how to obtain replacement springs for these mags? Either the metallurgy or heat treat were off and the mag springs tend to collapse after very little use.

1667928691287.jpeg

wpage

Ultimate Member
    Oct 17, 2022
    Southern Delaware
    I own both. You should own both.

The AR15 is certainly more tactical and more accurate. However the Mini is a great utility rifle/carbine. Also most importantly, the Mini tends to be more fun at the range. In my opinion the Mini is best enjoyed resting in a wood stock with iron sights.
    This is it^^^^

Slackdaddy

My pronouns: Iva/Bigun
    Jan 1, 2019
    This is the best I could get my Mini-14 to shoot yesterday at the AGC. Rock solid bench rest with a Weaver riflescope. at 100 yards.

55gr .223 ball. I think I'm going to head out there again tomorrow, and see if I can tighten it up.

View attachment 387074

An older Mini will benefit from a barrel stabilizer AND gas bushings.
    The Minis are severely over gassed in most cases, hurting accuracy as much as barrel whip.

toppkatt

Ultimate Member
    Apr 22, 2017
    These days the AR15 would be the choice for most. Back when the Mini-14 was introduced it was playing on the 'sex appeal' of the Garand/M14. It looked like the rifle they or their father had used 'in the war'. It had many accessories available, not as many as the current AR-15 but better than most on the market at the time (types of stock, flash hider with military style sight built-in, etc). Look at all the accessories the 10-22 has (another Ruger product).
    Accuracy was always been an issue with the Mini-14 but they did get better with time. The barrel stabilizer helped before Ruger made changes to the product during production. I'm sure Mr. Ruger was hoping he would get a military contract with the Mini-14, but other than a few foreign countries this didn't happen. The full automatic AC556 did have some military (foreign) and police sales. The mini-14 does have, seemingly, many roles in the movies being a cheap M14 look alike.
    I'm not partial to either product (but have owned all I've mentioned) but they have their place in the market.

Last edited:

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

View attachment 387074
    As much as AR folks like to bust on Mini-14 accuracy, if that is one of the newer heavier barrel ones, it definitely should do better than that off a rest. After a general tightness check of all the hardware, maybe try a different brand of ammo.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    As much as AR folks like to bust on Mini-14 accuracy, if that is one of the newer heavier barrel ones, it definitely should do better than that off a rest. After a general tightness check of all the hardware, maybe try a different brand of ammo.
    My mini 14 won't touch my ARs, but using Federal 55 gr M193 I can get about 3" at 100 yds. Other ammo seems to open up to 4" or even more. Mine is an older (early 80s) mini. That is shooting with a rest and it is scoped. Shooting was spaced to somewhat to reduce any stringing from a heated barrel.

Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I have a newer one - I am the weak link in the accuracy equation.
    Have two Colt AR's just because I think everyone should have a couple but I much prefer the Mini-14.
    38F45D46-31D8-41CE-8AC2-D613659BA5E5.jpeg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Lemme see if I know the reasons....

Wood, stainless, folding stock, and since those pictures offend libtards thats why the folders are banned here
    Don't forget chasing your spent brass five benches down at the range... :innocent0

Feb 28, 2013
    Don't forget chasing your spent brass five benches down at the range... :innocent0
    Unless you’re teachin yer ol lady to shoot at a indoor range and you get to watch her dance when a spent one bounces off the right wall and lands between her boobs :lol:

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    An older Mini will benefit from a barrel stabilizer AND gas bushings.
    The Minis are severely over gassed in most cases, hurting accuracy as much as barrel whip.
    Thanks for educating me. I just ordered the Accuracy System setup for my 184-series, pencil barrel Mini-14.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom