Can flip-up BUIS be installed “backwards”?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Picked up a Stag 15 with the Magpul MOE hand guard already installed. It came without iron sights but with a Sig Romeo red dot that I really like. I have a spare set of Magpul BUIS flip-ups that I’d like to use but the front-end of the MOE plastic fore end prevents the front sight (mounted on a small section of Pic rail where the A2 front sight would normally be) from flipping down (back). Can I simply spin the front sight around so it flips forward-down instead of backward-down? Or will this affect how they align or appear in the sight picture? It seems like it would be okay to me but it looks a little weird.

If not with the Magpuls, how about any other? I’ve been researching a bunch of backup sights, and none of their descriptions actually give a flip-forward or flip-backwards designation. Ideally, the flip-forward-down front iron sight on my SCAR 16 would be a perfect solution. Any ideas?

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Yes but don't do it. It sounds to me like you have a railed gas block instead of a front sight block. The issue is that is the hottest part of the rifle and it can and will melt. For a railed gas block you need a metal front sight.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    What Mopar said. Polymer on the gas block is going to melt. Pick up a metal front sight. YHM and Midwest Industries both make some affordable but decent quality flip sights. Make sure your gas block rail is the same height as your receiver rail too. If not you'll need a taller sight.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Magpul also sells metal flip up sites, a tad bit more than their polymer though...

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    What Mopar said. Polymer on the gas block is going to melt. Pick up a metal front sight. YHM and Midwest Industries both make some affordable but decent quality flip sights. Make sure your gas block rail is the same height as your receiver rail too. If not you'll need a taller sight.

Good call on both accounts guys, makes sense. I still ask though, are any of the metal sights “flip-foward” or would I still have to reverse them? And no, that railed gas block is a bit shorter (lower) than the receiver rail. The top of the Magpul rail is flush with the receiver, this rail sits lower (see pic).

Glad I asked, this seems like a flaw. Looking online, the only front sight I see pics of with this Magpul fore end is the old A2 front sight, no flip-ups at all.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Attachments

• 37932F01-8A50-47FF-A472-AF1C2D4EE681.jpg
      37932F01-8A50-47FF-A472-AF1C2D4EE681.jpg
      75.7 KB · Views: 1,508

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I concur with the other guys..what about a front sight, screw on, non flip up type? Just a guess,...i understand it forgoes the flip up requirement...

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    You can leave the front sight up and still use the red dot. It should co-witness. Make sure you get a gas block height sight so it will be tall enough since you have a short gas block.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    That may be where this is heading. Given the height differential I might be out of the flip-up market. Or just go with the Romeo alone.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I’d get a fixed front sight and flip up rear in metal. A number of fixed picatinny front sights for gas blocks.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    I ran into that problem and was thinking of replacing the gas block with a low profile one and a railed for-grip

I have a flip of gas-block height sight now. though a 20$ metal one.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    For $100 I would expect them to be a bit prettier than that. Magpul Pro I thought was made of gold...
    Yeah, I've been looking for a GB-height folding sight, and my brain is just blown away by how expensive they are for stuff that's literally a decade old and is no longer all that state of the art. Wish Magpul would make an MBUS Pro at that height.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yeah, I've been looking for a GB-height folding sight, and my brain is just blown away by how expensive they are for stuff that's literally a decade old and is no longer all that state of the art. Wish Magpul would make an MBUS Pro at that height.

If you get a riser that puts it on the same plane as the receiver rail you should be good to go.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011

Not to paint with broad strokes but aren't a lot of the railed gas block ARs of the cheaper types. Not saying that is bad but from the ones I have seen they look a lot like budget builds even from known makers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom