• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • So... c.2010, my (newlywed) wife and I visited my FIL in SC. They were doing family stuff and I went to the garage to smoke a cigarette (I quit since then). While out there, I noticed an old rusted rifle in a barrel of garden tools- rusting in the SC humidity. Being an old rifle junkie, I asked if he would be offended if I cleaned it up- he approved, and I proceeded.
    Fast Forward a year... My FIL shows up at our house and hands me the rifle- saying "You will be the best holder of the family rifle." It entered my bound book and I totally overhauled it.

Fast forward to today... My FIL is in town and will be shooting his grandfather's Savage 99 in .303 Savage rifle for the first time ever tomorrow!!!!

I have no family firearm heirlooms, but am happy that my wife accepts hers (via me) and appreciates family history.

Last edited:

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    SG, that is an awesome story. But, um.... need pics :) I love how guys on this forum are the Wheeler Dealers of Rifles- but not to sell but to revive for a new lease on life :)

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    SG thats a cool story enjoy the day with you FIL. Im sure he’s going to want to shoot some of your other guns too while there.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    GREAT story here in that your father in law can shoot HIS grandfather's neglected rifle, and maybe even for the first time ever, because of your efforts. That's truly a gift for him, for you and for your wife!

Great. Maybe it will be the spark that creates a new shooter in your FIL.

He is a retired LEO and PD pistol instructor. He shoots pistols regularly. He did mention that yesterday was the first time he has fired a long gun in >20 years.
    Being from NJ, yesterday was his first time using a suppressor. His reaction to .300AAC subs + a suppressor was priceless. I do have to mention he knew how to load and chamber an AR without assistance or hesitation, so as he stated, he has surely used them in the past.

I'm waiting on shooting pics from his cell phone, as my battery died before I could take pics.

Last edited:
    Pictures...

Attachments

• IMG_2417.jpg
      IMG_2417.jpg
      97.6 KB · Views: 118
    • IMG_2415.jpg
      IMG_2415.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 121

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics