• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Travis Bickle

Jul 13, 2012
    MoCo
    I agree. My wife wants to buy her first handgun for the exact same reason as the OP's wife. In fact, my wife read through SB281 and caught the training exemption on her own and then asked me about buying a handgun for her. She has only ever shot a 20 gauge semi-auto Beretta and that was 10+ years ago.

So, I knew I wanted something full frame with a small cartridge for her. Thought I would get a .380, but trying to find that cartridge in a full frame gun is almost impossible. So, 9mm in a P226 is what it is most likely going to be. Other option is 9mm in a P250 full frame.

cz83 is a bigger gun in .380. I've yet to shoot one but I'm considering getting it or a cz82 as my first handgun for the reason that its a bigger gun that shoots a small caliber

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    I have a Taurus 605 .38 OR 357 ammo
    I really like how it feels in my hands compared to hubby's python 357>>its ok but bigger than i wanted. Let her handle several and shoot them if possible before choosing one

501st

Ultimate Member
    Jun 16, 2011
    So my wife agreed to get her own gun (this way after oct 1 she won't have I take the training if she gets more as she will have had a regulated gun b4 oct 1 per the ****ed up sb281) she wants small like not much bigger then my Ruger ACP 380. I was looking at the sub compact kel-tec 9mm but wanted to see what others thought?
    Thanks

P938-Rosewood-Detail-HERO.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Js4acN46k

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProductList/pistols-p938.aspx

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    The problem with that is "Where to put it".

Mrs. Safetech is finally looking to get something smaller. She has her CCW. Her SR9 was okay in the winter. Lots of clothes to cover it. But now that the weather is getting warmer, it really limits her on when and how she carries. (She's tiny.)

She likes my SR9C that I carry. But that's still too big for her to conceal, wearing just jeans and a tee shirt.

http://www.nrastore.com/nrastore/ProductDetail.aspx?p=SA 24010-14 Google the flashbang bra holster

Whitty Whit

Mar 20, 2013
    BIG mistake.

She thinks she wants small because it looks less intimidating.

Small guns kick more, have more blast, and are much harder to shoot.

She will hate it, and it might turn her off to shooting entirely.

A full size gun that fits her hand is a better idea.

:thumbsup:

That is exactly what happened to my wife. She shot a SR9 and hated it. Then she shot a Springfield full size 1911 9mm and loved it! Cool with me because it gives me an excuse to buy another 1911! And she was very accurate with the 1911, definitely can take out a threat quickly within 10 yds.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    Take her to Continental or another range that rents and let her shoot a few sub-compacts. The right pistol is an individual choice, but in a tiny pocket pistol even more so.

I love Kahrs, as does my wife. Nice trigger and they feel less "snappy" than some other tiny pocket pistols. Also check out the S&W Shield. Both are superior to the Ruger/Kel-Tec in the same category IMO.

I like the look of the Bersas but have never shot one. The tiny Sigs are very appealing but no experience with those either.

+1 on this.:thumbsup:

Safetech

I open big metal boxes
    May 28, 2011
    Dundock
    She shot a SR9 and hated it.

Interesting.

When we were shopping (going to different ranges and renting different handguns, deciding what to buy) she LOVED the SR9.

I, OTOH, hated it! It was "too light"! (polymer frame) I couldn't hit the side of a barn with it (from inside the barn!)

One day, I took it to the range all by my self, and left my 1911 home. After 100 rds I was hooked!

Up until then, I would shoot my 1911 for the most part and then only a few rounds through her SR9. No wonder I couldn't get used to it. It was like putting down a brick, and picking up a feather.

After I got used to it, I bought myself an SR9C for CCW.

NarlocB

Jan 23, 2013
    I have been having a hard time finding a PPK....hence my thought on the bersa thunder or S&W bodyguard.

aquashooter

Apr 17, 2013
    Monkey Co
    Although, I carry a Glock 26 or Kahr P9 with Hydroshocks, for ultra concealment in the summer, I regress back to the 70's. My old off-duty S&W Mod 60 5 shot fits into my boot and has plenty of stopping power with +P rounds. The new Mod 60's are now chambered in .357 Mag. The piece is user friendly and face it, for an extended action, one does not want to be using a compact.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The first rule of physics is : anything you would want to carry you wouldn't' want to shoot. Unless she is a recoil junkie I am with Threeband.

This. Will she be able to do a malfunction drill with it in the middle of the night from the bedside? no. Unless you have another pistol for that and if that's the case then why not have something you can enjoy at the range that you would use for self defense?

Even for the average petite woman hands most of these micro 380's are too small to learn/train on for basic marksmanship. She will fire it, not be accurate with it and then hate it.

good luck

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Got her a kal tec p11...

... most of these micro 380's are too small to learn/train on for basic marksmanship. She will fire it, not be accurate with it and then hate it.

good luck

Except the P11 is a micro 9mm.

Many inexperienced women think they want a small gun because they find guns in general to be scary and intimidating. "Oh no, I just want a little tiny gun..."

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I bought a SIG P225 for my little 5'1" firecracker to shooter.

Its single stack frame is an easier grip for small hands yet it still has some heft to its and isn't a blowback design...

wiseguy813

Jul 11, 2011
    Lexington Park, MD
    My 5'3" 120lb soaking wet wife has an all steel Baby Eagle 40 and loves the shit out of it. I joked and said I was going to sell it and got the most sinister look I have ever seen on her face! Recoil is no more than my polymer FNX-9 or my CZ 75 SP-01 9mm due to its weight. Very reliable and sturdy feeling. The grip is contoured nicely as well. The polymer ones just don't feel the same

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Unodeuce

Feb 22, 2013
    Rising Sun, MD
    Reasons for bersa
    Small just enough to cc and comfortable to shoot
    Rock solid
    In my opinion it's like ppk but won't slide bite you .
    I should be picking mine up in week bought 2-21-13 from ffl due any day if you'd like we could meet at a range she can try for her self. I am not a dealer just fan of bersa the non big name make that is often overlooked. I purchased because of opportunity and price point ( in front of me under $300) I was looking for new colt mustang good luck locating one now. I am glad I found it for 300 came with extra mag and leather holster, I was all over it. I did look at all of the guns on your list and as far as 9 vs 380 some small frames shoot very hard as you and others know but this bersa is an all day shooter. Sig sauer has a colt mustang clone maybe 290 or something it is also one to look at before you buy its very nice and has hands down the BEST sights out of all ccw

Got my wife a Bersa 380 and she loves it. I have a Ruger Mark II with a Tac Sol barrel and it kicks more than the Bersa

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom