• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    But how about the .22LR? Would you go with a Ruger .22LR pistol? But if so, which one? The skinny 4.75-inch or the larger 7-inch model w/adjustable sights? Or do you like the 5-inch bull barrel?

--

22/45 Lite. And a suppressor.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm a Colt guy...and have several S&W and Ruger revolvers...but this is a case where I would choose my Dan Wesson Model 15 with 2.5", 4", 6" and 8" barrels I have for its sheer versatility. For knives I would choose my Randall Model 18 Attack/Survival and my Mauser multi-knife for its versatility.

Dan-Wesson-knives.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    My choices....one of the last revolvers I would want in a survival setting would be a Python. A 6” Security Six would fill the bill. A 5.5” Redhawk in 357 you can’t hurt would be be as good but is considerably heavier.
    Why do you say that about the Python, and its there any substantial difference between the older models and the new? And yes, the Redhawk is way heavier. Do you have one? How many rounds does it take in .357? And is it widely available in that caliber?

For the 22 LR, Mk II - IV or S&W M63....
    I once had a M63, and it was one of my favorite handguns. Alas, it was stolen and I never had the opportunity of getting another one. That said, it is a light revolver and doesn't have the speed or accuracy of heavier autos, like the Rugers. And even though it's been nearly 40 years since two guys who worked at my apartment complex entered my apartment, and took it (both were terminated, but I never got the gun back), I've missed it a lot! They called it a "kit" gun and said it was designed to be part of a fisherman's kit, but given the prices of the gun (then and even more so now), it ain't exactly the type of gun one would casualty toss into a fisherman's kit.

Like I said, it was one of my favorite handguns and was very tough to get. I had to wait on a list...forever...to get my mitts on it. It was a great gun. I replaced it with two Rossi 511 revolvers, and years later I later gave one to a friend. But I still miss my old revolver.

Rossi M511, also an excellent survival pistol.

I have a great love for the old Interarms Rossi revolvers. I have one 3-inch .38 Spc the same size and appearance of the old S&W 60s. At the time one had to be a cop to get a 60, so the 511 was the "poor man's" Model 60. Now that I have a Model 60, I can't see any substantial difference between them, except the rolling pattern on the ejector rod. It's much better on the M60.

--

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ruger Blackhawk...prefer 3 screw
    Colt Python.... old model
    Smith Model 19
    Dan Wesson older Pistol Pack

Ruger Single Six Convertible ... old 3 screw
    High Standard Victor or Trophy
    Colt Ace.....

Knife...
    Al Mars.... once again the older ones

-Rock

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Is that a Ruger? If so, they managed to somehow ugly up what was once a pretty nice looking pistol.

Magnum Research is the Maker and will make custom models to your specifications

I have one in 45/70 and 50 caliber S&W Magnum and group my shots in 4 inches with open sites at 50 to 60 yards.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Why do you say that about the Python, and its there any substantial difference between the older models and the new? And yes, the Redhawk is way heavier. Do you have one? How many rounds does it take in .357? And is it widely available in that caliber?

I once had a M63, and it was one of my favorite handguns. Alas, it was stolen and I never had the opportunity of getting another one. That said, it is a light revolver and doesn't have the speed or accuracy of heavier autos, like the Rugers. And even though it's been nearly 40 years since two guys who worked at my apartment complex entered my apartment, and took it (both were terminated, but I never got the gun back), I've missed it a lot! They called it a "kit" gun and said it was designed to be part of a fisherman's kit, but given the prices of the gun (then and even more so now), it ain't exactly the type of gun one would casualty toss into a fisherman's kit.

Like I said, it was one of my favorite handguns and was very tough to get. I had to wait on a list...forever...to get my mitts on it. It was a great gun. I replaced it with two Rossi 511 revolvers, and years later I later gave one to a friend. But I still miss my old revolver.

Rossi M511, also an excellent survival pistol.

I have a great love for the old Interarms Rossi revolvers. I have one 3-inch .38 Spc the same size and appearance of the old S&W 60s. At the time one had to be a cop to get a 60, so the 511 was the "poor man's" Model 60. Now that I have a Model 60, I can't see any substantial difference between them, except the rolling pattern on the ejector rod. It's much better on the M60.

--

I’ve shot the 357 Redhawk once. ream puff. I was a six shot. Had a M28 years back, 6”. Should have kept it, shot like the bullets were laser guided. A 6” GP-100’or that 28 would be behind d the Redhawk. To be honest, of those 3 second choices, I wouldn’t have a problem with any of them.

Wouldn’t want the Python because it is not as durable as other choices out there. Personal thing. Been discussed many times in the forums.

The M63. Bought from the gunshop I mentioned earlier in mid 80’s. Even then it was an excellent price. Bought it to practice DA shooting for bowling pin competition. It served that job very well. Accurate and out of the box the action is quite useable. Put on a set of Pachmyers, shoots great. Not a slow gun. If you are practiced with it you can run it very fast. Fits in the back hip jeans pocket very nice, so in that situation it would always be with me, and not be in the way...except sitting. The only thing I would change about it is the front sight. I would replace the red insert sight with a solid black partridge or improved post sight...most likely the second of those two. Not only that, as you know, its just a fun gun.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Wow. I'd want a little longer barrel, but the Manuhrin is tough to beat. Still, I'd have to go with a 6-inch gun, either a Security-Six or that 7-shot S&W 686. Or a 5-shot Manuhrin if they make them.

I don't like underlugs, though. And carrying one around all day would be...irksome. But the Manuhrin has a superb action and its easy on the eyes. I also know how to disassemble and assemble the Ruger and the coil spring is very dependable, so I think I'll go with the Ruger.

But the Manuhrin would be close. So would the Korth.

It would be tough, but the Ruger on the right would be my
    chief choice.

But how about the .22LR? Would you go with a Ruger .22LR pistol? But if so, which one? The skinny 4.75-inch or the larger 7-inch model w/adjustable sights? Or do you like the 5-inch bull barrel?

--

No need to panic, they come in six inches as well.

Attachments

• 1189841B-C317-4BEB-B0A1-17AFF48E1E49.jpg
      1189841B-C317-4BEB-B0A1-17AFF48E1E49.jpg
      87.2 KB · Views: 269

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8" 357. Stronger lockwork and I have the ability to fix anything that goes wrong with it. But there won't be any issues cause it's a tank.

Probably a 22/45 for the 22 pistol. Decent accuracy, durable and reliable.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    New Model Blackhawk 4 5/8" 357. Stronger lockwork and I have the ability to fix anything that goes wrong with it. But there won't be any issues cause it's a tank.

Probably a 22/45 for the 22 pistol. Decent accuracy, durable and reliable.
    I have two Blackhawks - one in 357 and the other in 41, and you're right - they are tanks. Mine are old though - the 41 has a 3 digit SN, and although the 357 is probably pretty close to my age.

Single action though. Not sure I'd want that as my only 357.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    You need to consider the use.

If there are the ONLY 3 firearms you have, as the only centerfire, the .357 is both self defense, and putting meat on the table.

The Dan Wesson Pistol pack gives you short barrel for self defense and a long barrel for hunting.

The self defense is why I would not want a single action.

And while I love the Python, I would go with something that is fine with a steady diet of full charge rounds.

I would also go with something in stainless for long term life.

While I tend to be a Colt guy, a S&W 66 would probably my choice after the Dan Wesson

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The Dan Wesson Pistol pack gives you short barrel for self defense and a long barrel for hunting.

---

And while I love the Python, I would go with something that is fine with a steady diet of full charge rounds.

---

While I tend to be a Colt guy, a S&W 66 would probably my choice after the Dan Wesson.
    Dan Wesson definitely makes a nice pistol, but if you wanted something that was really hella strong enough to take whatever load you wanted to put through it, it would be tough to beat an old S&W Model 27. They have a very slick action, a superb trigger, and it's made on the N frame - the same frame they use for the Model 57 and 29 in 41 and 44 Magnum, respectively. (Some would argue that the N frame was a bit too light for the 44, but it's more than enough for a 357.)

IIRC, the Model 66 is the modern version of the Model 19, right? My Dad LOVED the Model 19 - he thought it was a slick pistol, good balance, good weight, slick action. Some might think that the Model 19 might be bit light - isn't that on the K frame? The 586/686 on the L frame might be a better choice if you wanted to shoot heavy hunting loads too.

It's all academic and conjecture of course. For those who argue that the lighter frames can't handle it, I have a bunch of stout 357 hand loads of my Dad's that I know he shot through his Model 19.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    The entire reason for the Smith L-frame was due to durability issues with the K-frames and continued use of full power magnums. There's no denying the great handling of the K-frame and its accuracy but continued use of magnums caused problems.

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    You need to consider the use.

If there are the ONLY 3 firearms you have, as the only centerfire, the .357 is both self defense, and putting meat on the table.

The self defense is why I would not want a single action.

I would also go with something in stainless for long term life.

While I tend to be a Colt guy, a S&W 66 would probably my choice after the Dan Wesson

I would be quite content and comfortable using my Blackhawk in a defensive role. CC is not required in the scenario described, so a belt holster would work just fine. I've shot thousands of 357s through Blackhawks. Plus like I said above, i can fix it if need be. Not for everyone though, I get it.

There is zero chance I would choose a DW pistol pack, having to screw and unscrew barrels, carry the spare around and not lose the feeler gauge. No thanks. The DW is a solid choice, I'd just pick one barrel and call it a day.

Like on some forums when asked to choose one and only one gun, you always get a guy that chooses a Contender then lists the 10 different barrels he'll take along. Doesn't count.

Catch-10-22

Appleseed Shoot Boss
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 27, 2009
    PG County, MD
    So I guess it would cheating to say my 22 pistol would be either my CZ Kadet or 1911 Nelson Custom conversion? Darn, because they are fine rimfire pistols and easy to swap for full caliber parents.

But I do think we often don’t consider specialized tooling or re-zero in those scenarios. You want something that you know will shoot point of aim right NOW, not after fine tuning and a few trips to the range, and maybe a few more upgrades.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    The entire reason for the Smith L-frame was due to durability issues with the K-frames and continued use of full power magnums. There's no denying the great handling of the K-frame and its accuracy but continued use of magnums caused problems.
    I'm pretty sure that's why my Dad picked up the Model 27 - he had the Model 19 first, but he told me one time toward the end of his life that when he was younger, "the harder it kicked, the better I liked it!" There's no doubt in my mind that both the Model 19 and the pre 29 that now sits in my safe digested more than their fair share of heavy reloads - it would make sense that he picked up the Model 27 to handle those heavier loads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom