• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    albeight:
    1 - there is NOTHING anywhere near there, bring what you need (food, drink, snacks, etc). there is a portajon that might be a 100yd walk uphill if we shoot at the bottom. from where we park, max walk is approx 100 yds. there will be five shooting positions roughly 20 yds apart, not quite a semi-circle. easy to go back and forth to/from your car between stages.
    2 - each squad goes to a shooting position. 5-10 people from each squad will all go prone and will shoot first target in array, then all will shoot second, etc. then rest of squad will go prone and do the same thing. when entire squad has shot their array of targets, they move to the next stage and repeat. when you're not on the line you can help spot and score (definitely do this!), or hit the head or grab something from your vehicle.

although squadding is locked, i'm in squad 2 and i think there is a little room so ask to go there if you want when you check in. but everyone there will help out the new guys as needed.

just fyi, between real heavy gun, spotting scope & tripod, and gear, i will prob make two runs from truck to shooting position, again it's short enough you don't need to worry about getting it all in one trip.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    albeight:
    1 - there is NOTHING anywhere near there, bring what you need (food, drink, snacks, etc). there is a portajon that might be a 100yd walk uphill if we shoot at the bottom. from where we park, max walk is approx 100 yds. there will be five shooting positions roughly 20 yds apart, not quite a semi-circle. easy to go back and forth to/from your car between stages.
    2 - each squad goes to a shooting position. 5-10 people from each squad will all go prone and will shoot first target in array, then all will shoot second, etc. then rest of squad will go prone and do the same thing. when entire squad has shot their array of targets, they move to the next stage and repeat. when you're not on the line you can help spot and score (definitely do this!), or hit the head or grab something from your vehicle.

although squadding is locked, i'm in squad 2 and i think there is a little room so ask to go there if you want when you check in. but everyone there will help out the new guys as needed.

just fyi, between real heavy gun, spotting scope & tripod, and gear, i will prob make two runs from truck to shooting position, again it's short enough you don't need to worry about getting it all in one trip.
    Awesome. Thanks for the breakdown. I was definitely not worried about not having enough stuff, but was wondering how I was gonna lug it all around, if/and/or when. Thanks again for the insight. I’m looking forward to this a bunch. I’ll ask at check-in if I can jump over. It will be nice shooting with a fellow MDS’er, and one that has definitely provided some good info in the forum threads that I follow to boot.Either way I’ll look you up in the morning.

Thanks again.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Davsco is right on as far as procedure goes. When you get in, check in with the MD and tell him you are brand new to the game and are going to shoot with Squad 2. These events are scored all on paper so it doesn't mess up the works. Be sure you TOTAL your score sheet before you hand it in. I would add one thing to what davsco has: take along some foul weather clothing (rain gear) and some clear plastic bags for anything you need to see/use during your firing line time (such as dope charts or non-waterproof electronic devices for running ballistics programs). Just on principle.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Thanks again Davsco for the thread. It was real nice meeting you today. I appreciate the advice as well. I just hope my final total score doesn’t make our squad look too bad :facepalm:. I realized only after I got on 81 North that I boogered the score sheet before I turned it in. I only tallied the 1st round hits (14) plus the bonus hit for each 10 1st rounders, for a total of only 15 hits. Oops!

I completely forgot the additional 2nd chance shot hits (4) and 3rd’s (3), for total hits of 22. Nothing Earth-shattering, but am I now that kid in school that mucks up the grading curve for everyone? I’ll be smarter next time. This was a great learning experience either way. Thanks again for your help, and I’m looking forward to the next one.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thanks again Davsco for the thread. It was real nice meeting you today. I appreciate the advice as well. I just hope my final total score doesn’t make our squad look too bad :facepalm:. I realized only after I got on 81 North that I boogered the score sheet before I turned it in. I only tallied the 1st round hits (14) plus the bonus hit for each 10 1st rounders, for a total of only 15 hits. Oops!

I completely forgot the additional 2nd chance shot hits (4) and 3rd’s (3), for total hits of 22. Nothing Earth-shattering, but am I now that kid in school that mucks up the grading curve for everyone? I’ll be smarter next time. This was a great learning experience either way. Thanks again for your help, and I’m looking forward to the next one.

AlBeight it was nice to meet you as we were setting up. I was in squad 1 so I really didn’t get to talk to you again. Hope you enjoyed the day.
    Sorry I didn’t get to meet Davsco today, maybe at the next one.
    Great day, had tons of fun and shot pretty decent today. Was definitely a little warm for the last two stages with that sun out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    It was nice meeting you too Rbird7282. Having not been there before it was a little confusing, thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I agree, the shooting was fun, but the oven got cranked up on those last two stages and it got downright uncomfortable. My own shooting mat burned my elbows & forearms, literally. The whole day was still a ton of fun, and as a relative newbie to the long range game it was pretty informative as well. I look forward to doing that again, maybe getting to shoot with you next time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Still waiting on PNTC to get the LRC scores up on Practiscore. Curious to see where I ended up. Pretty sure I’m in the bottom half but did pretty well for my first time out.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    yeah i'm anxious to see them as well. i hit every target but one, although a few needed more than one shot for the hit. i shoulda volunteered to take all the scoresheets and coulda knocked that out in an hour or so. they're closed mon & tues so maybe tomorrow we'll see them.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    yeah i'm anxious to see them as well. i hit every target but one, although a few needed more than one shot for the hit. i shoulda volunteered to take all the scoresheets and coulda knocked that out in an hour or so. they're closed mon & tues so maybe tomorrow we'll see them.

I missed more than that but with one exception (Mis-dialed an elevation change) I wasn’t really far off with my misses.
    Always learning.

S1gnal

Stereotype breaker
    May 2, 2008
    Central Maryland

Dont feel bad I think I screwed up my scoresheet as well. I think misses meant if you failed to hit the target after all 3 attempts. I think I counted misses on my first or second even when I got a hit.

I was in squad 2 btw.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Dont feel bad I think I screwed up my scoresheet as well. I think misses meant if you failed to hit the target after all 3 attempts. I think I counted misses on my first or second even when I got a hit.

I was in squad 2 btw.

Total misses are counted. Look up one of the old match results on PNTC’s website. They have shooters with 20,30,40 or more missed. They count every shot taken in one way or another.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead

I was in squad 2 btw.
    I was in squad 2 as well. Was scheduled for squad 3 but Davsco convinced me to move to #2 the morning of, and as he graciously showed me the ropes around the match and that part of the range. I shot #3 in the final string of our squad. I had the red, white, & blue distressed American Flag Howa rifle, wore the tan FN ball cap. Sorry we didn’t get to officially meet. Hopefully next time.

Yeah, as far as misses go, I counted those correctly. 22 total (12 of them were 3 miss targets x 4 targets). 21 real hits, only 14 1st rounders, 4 2nd rounders, and only 3 final rounders. The bonus hit rule for 10+ 1st round hits got me to 22 by score. 22/14/22. Not too good, but I didn’t really have any bad misses, maybe 2 and they were elevation mistakes later when it got really hot & I finally figured out I had to adjust my dope for the higher temps. For only my 3rd time ever behind a rifle shooting longer than 200 yds, I was ok with how I did for the most part. I will definitely be better next time.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Wonder why they didn’t post them on Practiscore, that’s where I’ve been looking.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    prob a way bigger PITA to get all that into PS vs just keying it into excel and converting to pdf.

Yeah I’m sure. Just wondering since they said they were putting everything on Practiscore from now on.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    The match isn't run in Practiscore software. It is scored on paper, like most field matches. Practiscore doesn't have a format that works for field match and the LRC is scored similarly to one of those that I shoot down in South Carolina. The "PRS" practiscore format won't work as the LRC has a three tier scoring method (hits, first round hits, misses). From what I was told by the guys down at Frontline (range in north carolina), if the match isn't scored in practiscore devices, they don't mess with trying to make the results work in practiscore. I would assume pntc is doing the same thing.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    The next LR Challenge is on Sat Dec 7th. That’s the 2nd Saturday of MD deer firearms season. Will attendance be affected by this, or do not many LR shooters deer hunt (& I suppose hunt in MD at that) ? Seems like a Sunday would be a better day for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom