• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    So far, my match goals are:

5) Don't feel the need for another gun

man, i gave up on that YEARS ago, just ain't gonna happen.

i took a class from a uspsa grandmaster a few years back. the biggest thing i got out of it was remembering trigger control, easy to forget or get lax on the basics. you hit the targets accurately the first time, you have better scores and less time wasted from making up misses.

frankly the big diff i see with the better shooters is that they don't waste any time; they are on a mission. every move (or lack thereof) is planned out with no excess movement - they have a plan and they execute it. they are ready for the next target, no surprises.

actual shooting is a small part of your overall stage time. get rid of the time wasters ( going in and out of ports, multiple shooting positions per target array, flat-footed and/or slidelock reloads, etc) and you will improve your scores.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I'm kind of in the same boat, Jim - I started last Summer and am still learning everything. Trying to go fast causes me to reinforce bad habits - I'll miss a target and then worry about needing to make up the time, etc. I tend to stop using the sight picture and start lowering the pistol sometimes also, which of course just makes everything worse. Also had 3 DQ's which SUCK, but I learned from every one. My original plan was to shoot at least a match a month, I am currently doing 3-5 a month on average. I am not doing hardly ANY live fire practice lately and I know I need to add that to my schedule ASAP.

I also always feel like I'm going 100 mph, but watching a video proves otherwise. :innocent0 My times are usually 2-3x the time of the match winners. Some folks shoot and win a match their first time out, some folks classify as an A their first time. I will never be one of those people, but I do think I can continue to improve for quite some time if I keep the practice up (I'm 48).

I started dry firing every weekday morning a couple months ago. I set up half and third scale targets in my house and am running drills in "Repetition and Refinement" by Steve Anderson. Basic things like turning, drawing, grip, start positions, etc. are becoming more natural so a few things that I need to worry about / focus on less.

As far as the food, do you use a cart? I just pack a small lunch, put a cooler in my range cart and eat when I get hungry. Or leave a cooler in your car and grab something from it in-between stages, etc. And start hydrating at least a day before a match.

Lastly, for the folks on the fence, take David's advice and just go to a match. Be safe and have fun, you'll absolutely love it no matter what your skill level is.

I hadn't heard of him, looks like he passed in February. Where did / do you recommend looking for action pistol coaches, just asking friends or at matches?

I forgot to mention grapes, banana's and other fruit. I've seen guys open up tupperware with mixed fruit all cut up in bite size pieces.

I'd be even worse. Tried an IDPA intro match some years ago. Besides being slow, I had a hard time remembering the various commands...felt like a ninny. Never tried it again. I've reconciled to being a static shooter. Fixed position and fixed target, stop to count the holes, reach for a sip of coffee and repeat. Such is life.

After I got used to being embarrassed every match, I kind of enjoyed it. ;)

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    So far, my match goals are:

1) Get there early so I'm not Late Guy
    2) Leave with all or at least most of my blood still inside me
    3) Nobody gets mad at me
    4) Somebody says, "Hey, that was a lot better than your last run."
    5) Don't feel the need for another gun

Doing 100% on 1 through 4.

Did you get hacked? #5 sounds communist or something. :nono: I think I understand your meaning, but it could be phrased in a more American way ;)

The only useful bit I can add to the conversation is about keeping yourself fueled. I keep one of these near me just about everywhere:

https://www.naturevalley.com/product/fruit-and-nut-bars-trail-mix/

They don't have chocolate to melt in them. They are soft, but a little sticky, so you don't have to worry about crushing them in your pocket. If you do, you can just mush them back into an edible shape. While hydration should be happening all the time:innocent0, I can choke one of these down dry if I have to. They taste pretty good, too.

That's about all I can offer from experience :o I've heard that physical conditioning (completely independent of shooting) can help too...can't hurt :shrug:

Also, if you are having trouble getting all your stuff from stage to stage on time, could you convince/bribe a family member or friend to "caddy" for you? If someone else can be worried about your stuff, and maybe keep you fed and hydrated, you can just worry about shooting. Just a thought.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    After I got used to being embarrassed every match, I kind of enjoyed it. ;)

That is the part that I wish my father could get over so he would join me and the local steel shoot.

As long as you don't hurt anybody and seem to have a little bit of fun, nobody's gonna care or make fun of you. :shrug:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That is the part that I wish my father could get over so he would join me and the local steel shoot.

As long as you don't hurt anybody and seem to have a little bit of fun, nobody's gonna care or make fun of you. :shrug:

Everybody thinks they need to be Bruce Piatt(including me:o).

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I use a red wagon, with a cooler filled with drinks and food. I just forget to eat and/or drink until I get to the point where it won't help. And the last time I had someone help, I started a stage with two half filled magazines.

And I did take a class earlier this year, I should do that again. That did help me out some, but too much information and was overloaded to get it all to stick.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    I've been shooting some kind of action shooting sports for 10 years now. My delimma in shooting pistol in action shooting is I'm suddenly unable to perceive time once the timer starts. While I'm shooting, it feels like I'm doing good time wise, but my actual times are telling me I'm poking along. What I think is taking me 30 seconds is taking me 50+ seconds. I'm not sure how to rectify this. Any pointers or suggestions?

1. Learn and make reflexive, Trigger Reset;
    2. Shoot precision (aka- "Bullseye")
    3. Dryfire
    4. Use #'s 2 & 3 to make # 1 reflexive (It'll take awhile but, you'll know you're there when you cant pull a trigger on anything without resetting it :thumbsup:
    5. Take THE COURSE required for "officiating" in that discipline (NROI Range Officer for USPSA; Safety Officer for IDPA, etc.)

Do these 5 things and, guaranteed, 50 seconds becomes 30 - Best o' Success! :party29:

...My delimma in shooting pistol in action shooting is I'm suddenly unable to perceive time once the timer starts.

This is natural and quite to your advantage (especially if you incorporate #'s 1-5, above

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Did you get hacked? #5 sounds communist or something. :nono: I think I understand your meaning, but it could be phrased in a more American way ;)

OK, so what I meant to say is that I live in Maryland, so it’s actually possible to go to matches more often than I’m allowed to buy guns. So, I have to pace myself.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

Point out to him that in reality no one is really watching when you shoot. Especially as a new shooter. Most guys will be BS'ing with their buddies or complaining about how they screwed up on the last stage.

It's not until you start winning, then people will squad with you just to see how you shoot something. That's when people start to watch, and expect you to be something. That's when the pressure starts.

ralph.mclean

GOC (Grumpy Old Cop)
    Jan 27, 2018
    Edgewater, MD
    Try This

Have someone videotape your practice, or even your competition, so that you can see where you are losing time... If you have any old videos, compare with those.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I decided to change up my practice regimen. Normally, I'm shooting 100 rounds a day five days a week, then shoot a match. Just loading and shooting one target. Now I'm using my holster, shooting double taps from the draw, going out from 7, 10, then 15 yards. Apparently my grip is different from the draw versus just picking up the gun. I've also Incorporated draw and shoot multiple targets. That's all I did for the past week. And some dry fire. I'm also making a plan, memorizing the plan, then implementing the plan. No on the fly changes. I placed 8th out of 19 at today's match. I also placed highest of the major power factor shooters. The bigger test is tomorrow at Quantico.

johnkorz

Feb 25, 2013
    Savage
    I would have to agree with this comment. Having someone coach you, who is doing well in a particular event can highlight what you need to improve and focus on those issues.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I decided to change up my practice regimen. Normally, I'm shooting 100 rounds a day five days a week, then shoot a match. Just loading and shooting one target. Now I'm using my holster, shooting double taps from the draw, going out from 7, 10, then 15 yards. Apparently my grip is different from the draw versus just picking up the gun. I've also Incorporated draw and shoot multiple targets. That's all I did for the past week. And some dry fire. I'm also making a plan, memorizing the plan, then implementing the plan. No on the fly changes. I placed 8th out of 19 at today's match. I also placed highest of the major power factor shooters. The bigger test is tomorrow at Quantico.

Absolutely! I don't do the big competitions like you, but have been getting more active in the local steel challenge. Many a stage I know I've blown before the muzzle fully clears the holster because I'm thinking, "Oh crap, I don't have the right grip on this thing..." Then, instead of focusing on the basics, I'm trying to wringle my hands around to make the best of what I've grabbed.

Good luck tomorrow. Remember, hydrate to dominate.:thumbsup:

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009

If it were me, I'd probably take that 500 rounds and split it into two 250 round sessions instead of five 100 round sessions. Then on those off days I'd spend extra time dry firing instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom