• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hello all, I’m new to the forum so excuse me if this topic has already been discussed. I’ve been looking into getting an AR pistol but I’m confused as to the legality of owning one in MD. Do I need an HQL since it’s a pistol and not a LR? Do I need a HBAR since it is an AR? Planned on purchasing the lower @ a gun show in VA in a few weeks and having built it there. Any information greatly appreciated.

Looking to build something similar to this

Attachments

• 7E56E745-03F5-4515-9173-AB5B29EFEECB.jpg
      7E56E745-03F5-4515-9173-AB5B29EFEECB.jpg
      61.7 KB · Views: 518

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    There are other threads on here about with your exact questions. Quickly, if you purchase one already together, you need an HQL. If you build from scratch, you do not need an HQL. It is a pistol, not rifle so no HBAR requirement. Some here actually get fluted barrels for AR pistols. If building from scratch, follow the rules on overall length and brace versus stock. Stock is a SBR- needs stamp. Some on here build as a pistol and do a stamp. Once stamp has come back, they put stocks on them.

Also, go to the welcome thread to introduce yourself. Welcome aboard. As the wise Stitch said- "This is my family I found it all on my own It s little and broken but still good Yeah still good." :). Seriously, you will learn a ton on this forum. Really smart people....

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Also, HBAR is only for Rifle .223/5.56. All other caliber AR rifles do not need the HBAR designation.

One other thing. Gymratz in Mechanicsville may have some AR pistols, like from Ruger or the Springfield Armory Saint Pistol. All depends on price range, as well. There is a great recent thread on the particulars of optimal barrel lengths depending on what caliber you choose.

Also, HBAR is only for Rifle .223/5.56. All other caliber AR rifles do not need the HBAR designation.

One other thing. Gymratz in Mechanicsville may have some AR pistols, like from Ruger or the Springfield Armory Saint Pistol. All depends on price range, as well. There is a great recent thread on the particulars of optimal barrel lengths depending on what caliber you choose.
    Thanks a lot. I’ll check out the place in Mechanicville.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Hello all, I’m new to the forum so excuse me if this topic has already been discussed. I’ve been looking into getting an AR pistol but I’m confused as to the legality of owning one in MD. Do I need an HQL since it’s a pistol and not a LR? Do I need a HBAR since it is an AR? Planned on purchasing the lower @ a gun show in VA in a few weeks and having built it there. Any information greatly appreciated.

Looking to build something similar to this

If you’re purchasing an AR lower in VA, it needs to be transferred to a MD FFL AFAIK.
    Why wouldn’t you just buy a lower in MD and build it here?
    You don’t need an HQL but it will have to go on a 77R through the MSP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yup

If you’re purchasing an AR lower in VA, it needs to be transferred to a MD FFL AFAIK.
    Why wouldn’t you just buy a lower in MD and build it here?
    You don’t need an HQL but it will have to go on a 77R through the MSP

purchasing a lower out of state will require an FFL transfer and a 7 day wait, along with the 77R. Then you have the transfer fee. So, all those great deals may not be so. Also, if you decide to purchase the parts, make sure you do the lower as "other". That way you can make it into a pistol, rifle, pistol, rifle, pistol. Build as a pistol first then switch ad nauseum. Legality reasons, HQL, etc. And if you specify the lower as pistol then you can never change the lower into a rifle. If I need corrected, others will be along to correct.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Buy your lower in Merryland. No point paying a transfer fee for something you can buy around the corner. If it is a 5.56 type lower, you will have to suffer the 7 day wait. Any other AR type lower(AR10, AR9, etc.) will be cash and carry. No wait. Welcome RW! :)

Buy your lower in Merryland. No point paying a transfer fee for something you can buy around the corner. If it is a 5.56 type lower, you will have to suffer the 7 day wait. Any other AR type lower(AR10, AR9, etc.) will be cash and carry. No wait. Welcome RW! :)
    Thanks. I was told that I could buy the lower @ the gun show in Dulles cash n’ carry and just go over to a vendor that sells uppers and buy one there. So that’s not the case? I would like to do a pistol build first and then move on to a rifle build.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks. I was told that I could buy the lower @ the gun show in Dulles cash n’ carry and just go over to a vendor that sells uppers and buy one there. So that’s not the case? I would like to do a pistol build first and then move on to a rifle build.

purchasing a lower out of state will require an FFL transfer and a 7 day wait, along with the 77R. Then you have the transfer fee. So, all those great deals may not be so. Also, if you decide to purchase the parts, make sure you do the lower as "other". That way you can make it into a pistol, rifle, pistol, rifle, pistol. Build as a pistol first then switch ad nauseum. Legality reasons, HQL, etc. And if you specify the lower as pistol then you can never change the lower into a rifle. If I need corrected, others will be along to correct.

See above.

AFAIK, anything that can be built into a pistol needs to go through an FFL in the state of residence. Being that any AR lower can be configured as a pistol, that would include all AR lowers.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    See above.

AFAIK, anything that can be built into a pistol needs to go through an FFL in the state of residence. Being that any AR lower can be configured as a pistol, that would include all AR lowers.

I don’t believe AR10 lowers do, I think those are cash and carry in MD IIRC. Doesn’t make sense, but this is MD.

See above.

Ok thanks. So what about the M&P 15-22, saw on for dirt cheap at the last show. That would have to be transferred too right?
    Was thinking about picking one up so my 10yo son can shoot with me at the range. Figured an M&P 22 would be good practice for him until he’s ready & able to handle an AR.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Ok thanks. So what about the M&P 15-22, saw on for dirt cheap at the last show. That would have to be transferred too right?

Was thinking about picking one up so my 10yo son can shoot with me at the range. Figured an M&P 22 would be good practice for him until he’s ready & able to handle an AR.

Rifles can be bought in other states from an FFL in that state providing the rifle is legal in both states. Cash and carry (with a NICS check and 4473)

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I don’t believe AR10 lowers do, I think those are cash and carry in MD IIRC. Doesn’t make sense, but this is MD.

If you're saying an AR10 lower can be bought out of state, I honestly can't say. I've never bought one. I do know that a dedicated AR9 lower needs to be transferred into Md through a Md FFL. And so does a 5.56/.223 lower.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Wow....I thought it was a lot of stuff to go through for a handgun in MD....WTF

It's weird.

I think rbird7282 was confused by my post. My bad.

You can buy a dedicated 'non 5.56/.223 lower' in Maryland, cash and carry. It can be legally built into a pistol in Md.

You can also buy an AR10 lower in Md, C&C. No 7 day wait as well.

They all must go through a Md FFL AFAIK.

ETA: Every lower I mentioned could not have started out as a rifle. You can not convert a rifle into a pistol, as per federal law. To do that, you would be creating(making) an SBR and would necessitate adherence to all NFA regulations.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's weird.

I think rbird7282 was confused by my post. My bad.

You can buy a dedicated 'non 5.56/.223 lower' in Maryland, cash and carry. It can be legally built into a pistol in Md.

You can also buy an AR10 lower in Md, C&C. No 7 day wait as well.

They all must go through a Md FFL AFAIK.

ETA: Every lower I mentioned could not have started out as a rifle. You can not convert a rifle into a pistol, as per federal law. To do that, you would be creating(making) an SBR and would necessitate adherence to all NFA regulations.

Got it. I assumed (you know what happens when we assume) that because it was cash and carry in MD (AR10 lower) that it would be just like buying a long gun in another state because it’s on a 4473 and a NICS check just like a long gun.

GSXR750

Nov 28, 2012
    I would suggest building one from an 80% lower, or a complete lower that you go through your ffl to purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom