Spotting Scopes - You Get what you pay for!

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I used my Vortex Razor HD spotting scope (old model I got on sale) for the first time today. At the 20X setting at 100 yards and could clearly see 17 HMR holes. My other spotting scopes I had to crank up to 60X. Not this one! I was really shocked at the quality of the image. This scope EASILY could spot holes at 200 yards, and perhaps even 300.

I have seen post after post saying you need to drop some serious money to get a good spotting scope. It's true, way more so for a spotting scope than a rifle scope.

I gave my old $250 spotting scope to my son. I paid about $1000 for this scope and it is worth every penny.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Been spotting a few deals on those things recently, wanted to look into them myself. I’m glad you posted this, because this is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Particularly the comparison between the different models and the clarity at the various powers & distances. I have an old Tasco 18-36X that I used to use, and it frankly is only good to 100 yds and garbage at 200. It’s good to hear of the quality of the glass, and that the higher cost isn’t just for show or prestige. Thx for the write-up.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have the same scope. VERY nice.

And I love being able to use the eyepiece of retical when spotting for someone shooting long range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pretty much true for all optics.

There are some good lower cost ones. But the more expensive really are a lot better.

So with spotting scope, since you only need one, get a GOOD one.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    No argument here. I use a trash Firefield spotting scope, and it shows. Usable at 100yds, but kinda runs out of steam much past that. Also broke its plastic mount once. I don't have easy access to a range beyond 200yds, so I put up with it, but if I were regularly shooting at 300+, I'd definitely invest the money in a good one.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    My Pentax PF-100ED scope retailed for $2000 (w/zoom) when it was new (I bought it used). Its zoom power goes from 26x-78x (and I have non-zoom Pentax eyepieces that can add 89x and 120x). It can see .30 caliber holes in the black at 1000 yards depending on the atmospheric conditions. There are reviews of this in the past on Accurateshooter.com and 6mmBR.com shooting sites. I don't think Pentax sells anything larger than their PF-80ED scope these days.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    So i've decided to finally upgrade my spotting scope (a Simmons which is fine for 100 yards) to something much better. Looking for something for reading wind for up to 1000 yd targets. Ideally would like to keep it under $1,000. I do like Vortex optics, how much of a difference is there between the Viper HD and Razor HD?
    Doesn't neccisarily have to be Vortex. I've heard good things about Pentax (in the post above) and Bushnell Elite also.
    Also should I opt for higher magnification (20-60) or better glass with 15-45 magnification? (If I have to choose between the two)

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county
    I used my Vortex Razor HD spotting scope (old model I got on sale) for the first time today. At the 20X setting at 100 yards and could clearly see 17 HMR holes. My other spotting scopes I had to crank up to 60X. Not this one! I was really shocked at the quality of the image. This scope EASILY could spot holes at 200 yards, and perhaps even 300.

I have seen post after post saying you need to drop some serious money to get a good spotting scope. It's true, way more so for a spotting scope than a rifle scope.

I gave my old $250 spotting scope to my son. I paid about $1000 for this scope and it is worth every penny.

I like the ones with the bent eye piece myself, also can you turn the scope? When i am sitting at the bench i want to be able to have the eye piece facing me and not have to get up to look through it .

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I like the ones with the bent eye piece myself, also can you turn the scope? When i am sitting at the bench i want to be able to have the eye piece facing me and not have to get up to look through it .
    The angled ones are designed for bird-watching. The straight ones are used for shooting because you can still use them in the prone position with a short enough tripod or standing all the way up. I always found I got a crick in my neck looking down into the angled ones. These days I usually sit in a chair and use a short tripod with a fluid head (A HD one because the 100mm Pentax is heavy).

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The angled ones are designed for bird-watching. The straight ones are used for shooting because you can still use them in the prone position with a short enough tripod or standing all the way up. I always found I got a crick in my neck looking down into the angled ones. These days I usually sit in a chair and use a short tripod with a fluid head (A HD one because the 100mm Pentax is heavy).

Look at how the service rifles guys use them.

They set them up with the angled eyepiece horizontal. So in prone, ou turn your head and look into the scope. I have seen them set up to the right or left of the rifle.

Oldcarjunkie

R.I.P
    Jan 8, 2009
    A.A county

They set them up with the angled eyepiece horizontal. So in prone, ou turn your head and look into the scope. I have seen them set up to the right or left of the rifle.

That is how i do it but on the bench or prone , you can kind of see it in this pic

Attachments

• 64708197_487564818682287_8437085901460340736_n.jpg
      64708197_487564818682287_8437085901460340736_n.jpg
      28 KB · Views: 255

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    Lots of rifle shooters use the angled eye piece. I can't think of anyone who uses the straight eye piece anymore. I'm sure there are some, I just don't know them personally.

Norbalco

Feb 24, 2017
    Tripod

What kind of tripods are you all using? Need a portable one if possible so I can use in the field too.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia

I have seen Bullseye shooters doing it that way also with the scope mounted on the lid of their gun box sideway angled towards them. They also mount them that way using the straight thru scopes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom