How have your thoughts about optics changed over time?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Just like the title says: how have your thoughts about optics changed over time?

I personally followed that stereotypical journey of people who get into shooting as carbine/pistol shooters:
    1. Got into shooting, bought some cheapo trash Chinese optics because I didn't know better. (Hey, they put a dot up and didn't die under recoil!)
    2. Became a good enough shooter where I realized they sucked; one was so awful that I threw it in the trash because I felt I couldn't ethically sell it to someone.
    3. Spent a few years with Primary Arms optics. They got the job done. Some drama with the mediocre mounts the reflex sights come with, but did some decent work with them, especially the prism sights.
    4. Bought my first quality optics: a used Aimpoint (CS), ACOG (TA01NSN), and a new Mepro (Tru-Dot RDS); discovered that quality optics make a real difference.
    5. Stopped buying cheap optics. Started slowly upgrading my "serious" rifles to at least mid-range optics. Lots of used and discounted stuff purchased.
    6. Got into dot pistols; the RMR and I became friends.
    7. Started shooting precision bolt guns and splurged on a couple of Tango6 scopes; finally started understanding how all those high-end $2000+ MSRP scopes are worthwhile, and why some reticles are better for certain things than others for certain use cases and platforms. Discovered some earlier purchases of some good scopes were not necessarily appropriate for how I wanted to use them.
    8. Became a low-level optics snob; I'll graduate to high-level when I start buying S&B scopes. :)

Further notes:
    1. Chinese and Filipino optics have gotten MUCH better than when I started shooting more than a decade ago. I'm still trying to avoid them, especially the low-end Chinese and Filipino stuff, but there are certain niche use cases where they are simply the best fit for the money.
    2. I have not changed my opinion about BDC being a good thing for rifles that are going to be used when dialing is not an option; I am, however, a lot more careful about running those reticles through Strelok Pro with my loads to assess fit.
    3. I used to be somewhat down on magnifier + reflex sight setups. I still think LPVOs are better overall, but I like having magnifier setups more for carbine classes, where you're not shooting far and access to a straight reflex sight for weird positions can be helpful.
    4. I also used to hate SFP; I've changed my mind slightly with regards to the Mark5HD and Whiskey5 fiber optic LPVOs, which are just stupidly fast to shoot with. Still wouldn't choose SFP for anything with a top-end magnification > 6x, though... fixed, FFP, or DFP, every time.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've always subscribed to the saying "Less is More"...only those options that actually enhance my ability to shoot accurately and not to look "tacticool". Keeping things simple means less to go wrong. I did scope rifles that I used for longer ranges and stuck with quality glass. Now...as my eyes have gotten older and less precise I've come to appreciate red dot sights for carbines that are only for shorter ranges. Even then it took me awhile to try one and now I like them. Again...I stick to quality products that have a track record of reliability and not the knock-offs or unknown (to me) brands.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    The OP post pretty much covers it. I learned on iron sights, and optics were not as wide ranging as they are today. It was considered a "luxury" item. I believe technology and manufacturing advances over the years has brought quality optics to folks that were once reserved to more affluent folks. You can see the different ranges of optics and their respective price points. As I get older, the eyes need all the help they can get.

Q

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    The OP post pretty much covers it. I learned on iron sights, and optics were not as wide ranging as they are today. It was considered a "luxury" item. I believe technology and manufacturing advances over the years has brought quality optics to folks that were once reserved to more affluent folks. You can see the different ranges of optics and their respective price points. As I get older, the eyes need all the help they can get.

Q

this is my story as well. I also learned the opposite end of the spectrum, just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it is better suited for a task

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Although they are kind of heavy, I prefer etched reticle prism sights over a red dot since all red dots have a star burst pattern to me.

Yup! I've always had a whisper of an astigmatism, but never enough to matter until a couple or so years ago. Classic (and lighter, and less expensive) red dots still work of course - especially in a typical self defense type application - but the etched reticle flavor are magic!

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I don't know if I would go out and buy a two grand rifle scope; I still think the state of the art has advanced enough that less expensive scopes (something under $1,000) work well enough for me. However for spotting scopes, you REALLY do get what you pay for, and would not recommend anyone pay less than $1,000 for a spotting scope unless it was second hand and a great deal. And that's just the spotting scope; a quality stand is not cheap either. So two grand on a spotting scope and stand? Yes, worth it. Two grand on a single rifle scope? hmm - I don't think so, not for the kind of shooting I do.

[EDIT] of course I am not fortunate enough to have access to a longer rifle range, or skilled enough to use uber high end scopes at said longer ranges - so consider the source.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My first red dot was an Aimpoint. I've gone up and down the scale since then. I've only found one good red dot under $100, the TRS-25. Anything under $200 is avoided now. Crapping out during a match is grounds for trashing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom