• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hakuna Matata

May 14, 2014
    I'm going to try to get over to Indiana Ave to apply tmrw, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    There's also a question of them not accepting non-DC approved trainers; although the statute obviously implies non-residents can apply for the exemption with a "qualified" trainer. What or who they consider qualified may depend on which day of the week it is.

If you have taken the 16 hour training from a MD approved trainer within two years they will accept that regardless if that trainer is DC approved. They did for mine.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    Yes. Any non resident permit you have will qualify you to get a DC permit. DC is kind of like Florida, they don't issue non resident permits, they issue permits to non residents.

Ideally you would use you MD permit but......

I took the 16 hr class at MSAR. Mo Mosrie was asked several times and he reiterated that another permit is NOT required for a non resident looking for a DC permit. Just to beat this horse again, are they saying at 300 (since the ruling) that a permit IS required?
    I’m making sure someone actually put this requirement to the test since the ruling.
    Thanks

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I took the 16 hr class at MSAR. Mo Mosrie was asked several times and he reiterated that another permit is NOT required for a non resident looking for a DC permit. Just to beat this horse again, are they saying at 300 (since the ruling) that a permit IS required?
    I’m making sure someone actually put this requirement to the test since the ruling.
    Thanks

No disrespect to your trainer, but it wouldn't be the first time one didn't know the law. The Worth A Poop thread comes to mind, but I digress...

Take it from someone who has been through the process, you need a permit from somewhere.

And BTW, have you popped into the rally thread to let us know you're coming Sunday?

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=4982980#post4982980

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There isn't a test. It's in the regs.

Sad a trainer doesn't know this. Remind me to stay away from MSAR for training.

The Wrenn ruling changed nothing except the G&S requirement being struck down. This requirement has always been in the regs since DC was forced to start issuing permits.

Attachments

• license.jpg
      license.jpg
      76.3 KB · Views: 160
    • part2.jpg
      part2.jpg
      46.3 KB · Views: 163

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    the non resident license was made available after the DC Council passed the The License to Carry a Pistol Emergency Amendment Act of 2014

see number 5

I attached the entire act but it's been amended because of Heller III and Wrenn

Attachments

• part3.jpg
      part3.jpg
      86.6 KB · Views: 165
    • DC Firearms Control Act of 2014.pdf
      844.9 KB · Views: 123
    • STU.jpg
      STU.jpg
      31.6 KB · Views: 161

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I can't swear MSAR doesn't other people who might have a random instructor certificate , but Mo is a great trainer who is on the short list I recomend . He has a security and training company of his own, in addition to the classes he gives thru MSAR .

Usually well Informed, I can only guess his former colleagues at MPD training branch have only yet recieved fragmentary information from MPD licensing division .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The requirement has been in the DCMR since at least 2015.

The regs are available for anyone to read. You don't need the Training Division at MPD to read them.

Just making the point.

I'm not an instructor and I was aware of all this.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    I respect your experience without reservation, but however the MPD enforces the rules, I still read the section 2332 f) 1, 2, or 3:
    1) is that residents are eligible
    2) is that US residents with a permit are eligible
    3) is that US residents with the proper licensing (training, registration, law training etc) are eligible.

Sadly, not able to exercise my constitutional rights because IANAL.

Sent from my bunker using Tapatalk Pro

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Please apply without using another state's CCW and let us know the results.

Note question 20 from the app.

Attachments

• dc app.jpg
      dc app.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 182

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL

It also says if you answer yes, attach a copy. It doesn’t say you are ineligible.
    Not arguing the issue, just ranting.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    It also says if you answer yes, attach a copy. It doesn’t say you are ineligible.
    Not arguing the issue, just ranting.

You answer yes, and attach a copy of your (any) state permit to the application. Easy peasy.

Don't sweat it, you'll be fine. You know I won't steer you wrong.

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    The seller info and the new box is only checked when you buy a new firearm outside DC and have it shipped to the only FFL in DC, Charles Sykes, at the CWS exchange, located in MPDC HQ at 300 Indiana Ave.
    Seller info is also done:
    a) with a long gun if you decide not to use sykes.*
    b) if you are doing an in family transfer, which DC MPD will also do without going through Sykes. I know, I have done it.

*There are circumstances where you may use sykes with a long gun, say if it is >$75 cheaper online or, depending what your time is worth, since you do need to go twice to a local bricks and mortar if you don't use sykes, once to fill out the DC forms with the selling store, and once to pick up

rascal

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013

FYI As I have non res permits in other states I asked twice about this directly concerning non resident permits in other states and was told: for DC residents who have non resident permits in other states, that this should be checked "no."

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Understood but most of the people who are reading this thread don't live in DC.

A MD resident asked if a non resident permit from another state is required by DC.

The answer is yes.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Seller info is also done:
    a) with a long gun if you decide not to use sykes.*
    b) if you are doing an in family transfer, which DC MPD will also do without going through Sykes. I know, I have done it.

*There are circumstances where you may use sykes with a long gun, say if it is >$75 cheaper online or, depending what your time is worth, since you do need to go twice to a local bricks and mortar if you don't use sykes, once to fill out the DC forms with the selling store, and once to pick up

You must remember to remind people you live in DC.

Different rules for residents and nonresidents.

CypherPunk

Opinions Are My Own
    Apr 6, 2012
    Does anyone have information on why D.C. may have decided to require a permit from any other jurisdiction?
    Just to be difficult?
    Because they don't trust their own ability to do background checks?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Perhaps they think it would limit their liability in the event of s lawsuit? They can blame another state? Just guessing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom