• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James200319

Mar 3, 2016
    Local matches might let you slide on the 17'er. If it's a stage that used the box as part of the stage, then load one in the pipe and put in a 10'er. First time out is even more reason to give you room to adapt.

Talk to the match director when you get there or email them.

Race gun yet? Now that isn't IDPA at all. Who knows, you may grow to want to move on to USPSA/IPSC where the race guns live. It's a fun game, too.

I've heard Race gun thrown out there a few times. I rather use what I got since I know it instead of a special gun. I'm up to learn and have fun doing it.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    The York Fun Match is next Saturday. This is a good place for your first match, if you want to practice what you know without as much pressure. There's a timer and you can keep score, but it's not recorded anywhere. It's good for brushing up on skills, using it for new equipment you want to try out. I personally haven't been in a few years, but I keep hearing it's kind to newbies as it always has been.

There should be something posted about it in a few days. You can scroll down a bit and see what May's match had to offer here: https://yorkpistol.blogspot.com/

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Hmm - The only other options I have is to use my 23 Gen 4, but didn't count on running .40 cal at the event. Haven't considered buying a "race gun" yet.

You should be good to go with the mags you have for your Ruger. Your two 17 round mags are standard size for the gun are they not? I would think they are the same physical size as your 10 round mags. Assuming they are, your two 17 round mags plus your two 10 round mags will be plenty for the match. Three mags are all you really need as you will always have the opportunity to reload after a stage or string (course of fire.) Having more than three magazines is smart though. Not only will it speed things up because you are not reloading your mags as often, but it gives you backups if one or more of your mags has reliability issues. It's a good idea to number your mags so that if one does have a problem, you know which one it is and won't confuse it with the others.

Load your magazines with 11, 10 & 10 rounds. Make sure you use the 11 round magazine to load your gun when given the "load and make ready" command. This way you only need to insert one magazine and rack the slide to chamber a round. Then holster your gun. You're now ready for a standard IDPA loaded start, 11 rounds in the gun (but only 10 in the magazine) plus 10 rounds in each of the other two magazines you have on your belt. All magazines filled to 10 rounds at the start signal (for SSP and ESP) - that's the IDPA rule.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    You should be good to go with the mags you have for your Ruger. Your two 17 round mags are standard size for the gun are they not? I would think they are the same physical size as your 10 round mags. Assuming they are, your two 17 round mags plus your two 10 round mags will be plenty for the match. Three mags are all you really need as you will always have the opportunity to reload after a stage or string (course of fire.) Having more than three magazines is smart though. Not only will it speed things up because you are not reloading your mags as often, but it gives you backups if one or more of your mags has reliability issues. It's a good idea to number your mags so that if one does have a problem, you know which one it is and won't confuse it with the others.

Oh yeah? :lol2: I think a few us, (well, me anyway), pictured them sticking out of the bottom, aka Glock 32 rd'ers...jokes on me.

It you're right he's gonna be fine.

:sad20:

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland

Load your magazines with 11, 10 & 10 rounds. Make sure you use the 11 round magazine to load your gun when given the "load and make ready" command. This way you only need to insert one magazine and rack the slide to chamber a round. Then holster your gun. You're now ready for a standard IDPA loaded start, 11 rounds in the gun (but only 10 in the magazine) plus 10 rounds in each of the other two magazines you have on your belt. All magazines filled to 10 rounds at the start signal (for SSP and ESP) - that's the IDPA rule.
    Depends on the model he got...

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr9/models.html

Im really curious now.. lol

If he got the 10+1... 17rd mag will have extender.

James200319

Mar 3, 2016
    IMG_6569.jpg

IMG_6570.jpg

IMG_6571.jpg

James200319

Mar 3, 2016
    I have a two mag pouch and an Aliengear OWB. Still need to watch the safety and gear video from above, too.

Thank you all for the help and excited for the shoot.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    I have a two mag pouch and an Aliengear OWB. Still need to watch the safety and gear video from above, too.

Thank you all for the help and excited for the shoot.
    Main importance is safety. Take your time first few matches and not worry too much about time against others. Use your own phase. People trying to speed things end up getting dq'd. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom