What do folks think about fanny packs for CCW?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Unless they look like an elderly tourist, any time I see a man with a fanny pack I assume he has a handgun. Frankly it's almost open carry.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Did somebody say Dong Purse? Then might as go with he original Dong Purse

image.jpeg

Puffy Shirt and Pirate Vest Optional

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I'm going to back you up on this. I think a fanny pack actually IS a good idea for CCW.

My only concern would be, where are you going to store your maxi-pads and makeup?

GTFOuttahere.

Anything that's not in your absolute immediate control is not a good idea. Same reason I don't like the idea of backpacks.

Plus,.... they're ghey.

Dec 6, 2011
    It's going to be in the 20's tomorrow morning. Put it in your M-65 field jacket pocket for the next 5 months like the rest of us.

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Yes but you have to do it right. Do not put the pistol in the fanny pack, instead put a dye pack in it and the gun on you. You let them take the pack and while they are getting a dye job you can draw your gun at your leisure :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Well, if you need to conceal 6in .44 while wearing speedos , then fanny pack is the way to go.

A fast access , low profile gun case is better than in safe at home, but not as good as actual carry.

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    This thread has me belly laughing. This website has some clever individuals. When I read dong purse I literally cried. :lol2:Thank you for the feedback and I will stick to my IWB carry.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most people do not carry or those who do, have other state permits and carry there occasionally, but don't carry everyday here in Maryland. So most people are still "new" and "dumb and happy" so "if it ain't in a holster on ya, it ain't the right way". BS

Situation dependent. If you wanna throw a pistol in a man purse and carry it from the parking lot into starbucks or wherever you might sit for awhile, then do it. As practice though, I wouldn't wear it all day, walking, shopping, etc... You can get a generic (meaning non 5.11 or Blackhawk!) type pack from REI, etc... so they don't look like gun packs.

"OMG! You won't be able to draw the pistol in .002 of a second" Well, sometimes you need a slow, stealthy draw.

Anyway, fanny packs have their use....

Attachments

• MnJedit.jpg
      MnJedit.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 410

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Hey I think I recall taking a flight (of beers) with that guy once.

carrying 'off body' is an option for some, and only option in some circumstances. It's been a long time since fanny sacks were fashionable, but you do still see them, and for some folks in certain settings, they do fit in.

Other off-body options might be: jacket pocket, briefcase, gym bag, sling-bag, etc. Just make sure it securely holds the gun, protects the trigger, and you can access quickly. Train with it. Mdeng knows his stuff!

I know some serious people that carry casual with bags; but personally, I don't like the extra risk of theft, nor the extra time and training to draw effectively. It's just not my bag baby.

When I see a fanny sack, it screams 'gun' to me. Unless it's an old person, or jogger, or at a beach, or on vacation, or a cop convention, or anywhere during 1980-1990's.

But I'm cool with it. I like knowing who's carrying - and I don't ask; that would be rude.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I have my pistol in a day pack right now. Oh the horror!!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1448118056771.jpg
      uploadfromtaptalk1448118056771.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 307

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I use one for going to and from the boat while wearing a swimsuit. Fanny packs seem normal here, because people will carry their keys, cell phone, etc. that way and then toss the fanny pack into a storage compartment on the boat (which is often lockable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom