• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    My large safe is in my home office, but my bedside gun (Glock 19) has been sitting under my night stand (secured by magnet) for the past few years. Because of that, I've always kept a loaded mag but no round in the chamber. My 8 year old is a very responsible little girl and shoots with me. However, our little one is a nosy little booger and gets into everything. My wife wants me to get something better to secure our bedside gun. I do NOT want anything Biometric but I want something that provides quick access. I'm really interested in the SpeedVault....Is there any reason to stay away from this model? If so, what else would you recommend? Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/Gunvault-SpeedVault-SV500-gun-safe/dp/B006OGNLKA

Attachments

• 917MAXdR47L._SL1500_.jpg
      917MAXdR47L._SL1500_.jpg
      50.8 KB · Views: 493

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    Amazon has hundreds of reviews but they lump the Biometric model in with your model. There seems to be rare but significant issues with both of them when the batteries run down.
    My son bought something biometric, he is off skiing now, I will ask him when he appears online again.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I have been considering one of these as well. I have seen the not so great reviews and got blasted when I bought the GunVault GV2000Biometric. Now that I have had it for about 8 months, I can say that it has been very good, but not perfect. The bio metric can fail if you are lazy or don't get your finger on there well. The bad part is that this could happen if you are under pressure or stress in a real life scenario. Then again, you could also mess up pushing numbers. I open mine the equivalent of every 1.5 days and the batteries are still good. It has failed to open on the first try 2 or 3 times. The thing that I like the least is the stupid beep when you open it. I have not attempted to disable the speaker yet.

I would get one of the SV500 for the bedside or under an office desk.

Garet Jax

Not ignored by gamer_jim
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2011
    Bel Air
    Thanks for all the replies. Engine4, do you know if this can be secured to anything? The reason I was looking at the SpeedVault is for its ability to be secured to the wall, night stand etc.

Yes it has 4 holes in the bottom that look like they were intended for screws with Washers. I don't know if the screws are spaced so they line up with joists or expect to be screwed into a sub-floor.

PS - Recognize that the simplex lock only has ~1000 possible combinations so to open it using a systematic approach will work. I have read that it takes about on average 30 mins. I own one of these guys and this last point is what is giving me pause about using it.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Do you know if that is the one big enough for a full size 1911?

I believe so, it's the large size one they sell. The simplex lock is (to me), better than a biometric one. I hear the combination can be figured out after awhile, how long I don't know. But it's not supposed to be used for absolute storage anyway, just to keep a defensive weapon handy & out of reach of little ones.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    Yes it has 4 holes in the bottom that look like they were intended for screws with Washers. I don't know if the screws are spaced so they line up with joists or expect to be screwed into a sub-floor.

PS - Recognize that the simplex lock only has ~1000 possible combinations so to open it using a systematic approach will work. I have read that it takes about on average 30 mins. I own one of these guys and this last point is what is giving me pause about using it.

I'd be more worried about the tubular lock on the front that can be picked in 5 secs with a tool that requires zero skill to use.

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    I'd be more worried about the tubular lock on the front that can be picked in 5 secs with a tool that requires zero skill to use.

All of my toys with the exception of this one are locked up in my large safe. I am more worried about little hands accessing it than anything else.

Grey_Man

Feb 25, 2010
    Fruitland
    I got one from Palmetto State Armory for a GREAT price. I like that uses buttons instead of biometric. You can customize the codes and turn the beep noise off or on. I wouldn't keep a gun in there at all times, since it could be pretty easily broken in to or just yanked off the wall. I would leave that up to a good safe. But for keeping it out of your kid's hands, it should do the trick.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Since this was brought back to life... I posted back in Feb 2014 (above) 8 months after I bought a GV2000 biometric. So now it has been almost 4 years ago.

I can say that things have not changed a bit. I have replaced the battery two times in that 4 years. The thing still hesitates to open on occasion, and I have not disconnected the speaker. It does what I want it to do, but I will not rely on it for my "In Case of Emergency" weapon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom