• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    All the guys on the Milsurp World podcast seem to agree that 1911s are obsolete as combat handguns. The main reason seems to be the 7 round magazine. Only double stack assault handguns need apply?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Then why do so many carry single stack .380 and 9mm pistols concealed as well as 5-shot .38 snubbies or North American .22 revolvers? A .45 caliber pistol is obsolete but those handguns are not? It's the person welding the piece that makes it a weapon...the piece itself is but the tool he chooses. Gun show commandos and gun writers who don't carry for a living should be avoided.

The-1911.jpg

Laj

Dec 5, 2016
    Sheriff Lewis (Wicomico) of recent "we will not comply" fame was carrying a Kimber 1911 on gun bill days. I don't see how capacity makes it obsolete when Glock 42/43 and S&W Shield and other single stack cc guns are so popular.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    I like 1911s but there is a big difference between a single stack 7 round pistol that will fit in your pocket and a very large single stack 7 round pistol. You trade the extra rounds that you could have in a full size for the ability to conceal. If you are going to carry a full size handgun anyway why would you not want as many rounds as possible?

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    While you will occasionally find a 1911 from any gunmaker that's unreliable...just like with any gun...the basic problem with the 1911 platform is its success. The pistol is so modular and there's such an aftermarket of custom tacticool parts too many Bubbas out there mix and match parts of varied quality without any fitting and expect the pistols to run like a scalded cat...and when they won't Bubba blames the pistol and not himself for screwing up the pistol.

The same can be said for the AR platform and others that have a big following and a big aftermarket base.

John Browning had it right. The only real improvements since have been technical such as improved metallurgy and details such as better sights and a few other things.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    While you will occasionally find a 1911 from any gunmaker that's unreliable...just like with any gun...the basic problem with the 1911 platform is its success. The pistol is so modular and there's such an aftermarket of custom tacticool parts too many Bubbas out there mix and match parts of varied quality without any fitting and expect the pistols to run like a scalded cat...and when they won't Bubba blames the pistol and not himself for screwing up the pistol.

The same can be said for the AR platform and others that have a big following and a big aftermarket base.

John Browning had it right. The only real improvements since have been technical such as improved metallurgy and details such as better sights and a few other things.

Spot on. Most reliable semi-auto I've ever owned was an Imbel made Springfield G.I. .45 1911A1. It'd eat anything you gave it and never once jammed or had any other failure despite the massive volume of ammo I put through it. It's the one I should never have sold.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    In the combat handgun role, capacity matters. Your targets move and multiply. 45acp is a great round. Better pistol choice are available.

In a CC handgun role. It's a viable option. A LW commander is a great choice.

For LEO, refer to the combat role. A chief LEO can carry a 1911. He is less likely to use it in duty role.

Those are my opinions.

Chris

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jun 21, 2005
    Cecil Co, Maryland
    While I'm not a huge 1911 fan, I own a few. The 1911 played a part in winning a couple of wars, I think that speaks for itself. Many shooters get caught up with the next shinning gun. The 1911 is tried and true. One can with practice do very well with magazine changes. Chris

Laj

Dec 5, 2016

:beer:
    Yes this. Especially with AR's. I'm so tired of hearing "the AR platform sucks. I've never been able to build on that actually works reliably."
    Come on. Go buy one or at least take a build class before you go bashing a whole platform just because you weren't successful at trying to build one using a claw hammer, a Crescent wrench, and a Glock punch tool because the guy on YouTube swears that's all you need.

I've had so many people give me their builds and ask me to figure out "what part is bad and needs to be replaced" because it's not working. Its so gratifying to explain politely that "none of the parts were defective but this detent was in backwards with no spring and your gas block was about 35 degrees out of alignment."

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    All the guys on the Milsurp World podcast seem to agree that 1911s are obsolete as combat handguns. The main reason seems to be the 7 round magazine. Only double stack assault handguns need apply?

There's nothing a 1911 can do that a double-stack 10mm gun of equivalent size can't do better, other than making boomers and fudds get that funny feeling in their pants, I guess.

1911s are fun in the same way that AKs are, but like AKs they also have their share of flaws, and unlike AKs, their boosters are far, far, far less likely to actually be honest about those weaknesses and failings.

Attachments

• 641916_ts.jpg
      641916_ts.jpg
      54.7 KB · Views: 600

54rndball

take to the hills
    Mar 16, 2013
    Catonsville
    A handgun is a defensive weapon and if a 7 round mag should be enough. Take an AR or AK if you are assaulting enemy formations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom