• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Thursday at noon and it’s closed? So glad I planned my day around this range trip.

Attachments

• 7499BE94-B7EE-4F87-9537-51C7A0D82953.jpg
      7499BE94-B7EE-4F87-9537-51C7A0D82953.jpg
      82.9 KB · Views: 1,110

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    https://ccgovernment.carr.org/ccg/recpark/hapbaker/Hours.aspx

Hap Baker Firearms Facility Hours of Operation

The Hap Baker Firearms Facility hours are as follows:

January 1 – March 31
    Friday through Sunday

April 1 – October 31
    Wednesday through Sunday
    10 a.m. to 6 p.m.

November 1 – March 31
    10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The range is open rain or shine

Christmas Eve 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. (only if Christmas Eve falls on a normal operating day)
    Closed on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year's Day
    The facility is always closed to the public on Monday and Tuesday. However, training of law enforcement personnel may occur at the range during these closed days.

Individual user time is limited during peak hours. The range will be supervised at all times.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Yeah I know, but it still catches me when I’m not paying attention and get ahead of myself. Totally my fAult. I’ll be back tomorrow with more toys.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Yeah I know, but it still catches me when I’m not paying attention and get ahead of myself. Totally my fAult. I’ll be back tomorrow with more toys.
    It’s real fun when you take off work during a time when you probably shouldn’t, and you remember they’re not open as you’re turning in off 140, before even seeing that closed sign. Yup, done that, and I’m only 50.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I haven't been to Hap Baker in years. I recall they had the muzzle boxes at the benches and shell casing nets there, if I remember correctly, which was kinda nice. Just always too crowded. I go to a private range in Taneytown, which is nice and quiet. Have 100, 200, 300, and 400yd target mounds. I only shoot at the 100yd target so far because my eyes suck, but working on getting decent scopes. Also have a hay bail for archery, an area for camping down by the river, and river access for launching or fishing. Have clay shoots in the spring and fall on Saturdays too. If interested shoot me a PM

Odarlin1

Ultimate Member
    Long live Hap Baker! Such a treasure he was.

Clair D. "Hap" Baker, who devoted the last nine years of his life to lobbying against gun-control laws, died of a stroke and lung cancer Thursday (1997) at Gettysburg Lutheran Retirement Village in Gettysburg, Pa. The Hampstead resident was 71. Mr. Baker stepped down a week ago as president of the Carroll County Sportsmen's Association. A member of the National Rifle Association and an NRA hunter education instructor, he became a familiar figure in Annapolis speaking out against gun laws.

"He spoke the truth, he spoke what was on his mind and he spoke for the people," said his daughter Donna Schwenk of Rockport, Mass.
    Freshman legislators heard, "Watch out for the man in the red shirt from the hills," from their colleagues, she said.

When the General Assembly was in session, Mr. Baker would appear in Annapolis wearing his trademark red-and-black plaid flannel hunting shirt and his jacket decked with buttons bearing slogans such as "Crime Control, Not Gun Control." As legislative liaison for the Carroll County Sportsmen's Association, he fought handgun control and bills to ban assault rifles.

A native of Altoona, Pa., Mr. Baker attended night classes for 20 years at the Johns Hopkins University while working for Bendix Corp./Allied Signal Aerospace Division. He received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 1969 and helped design guidance antennas and radar systems for the Patriot missile.
    Mr. Baker retired in 1988 and spent seven years battling for Carroll County's first public outdoor shooting range, which the County Commissioners agreed to build in 1995 despite strong opposition. Mr. Baker designed the range and was given the honor of firing the first shot when it opened last November.
    He was a former president and treasurer of the Dug Hill Rod and Gun Club in Carroll County and a member of Gun Owners of America, the Maryland State Rifle and Pistol Association, Maryland State Certified Range Officers, United Coon hunters Association, Mayberry Archers, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 467 in Westminster and several sportsmen's associations.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1997-07-27-1997208107-story.html

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Never knew his first name was anything other than Hap. Spoke with him several times and never knew he was from Altoona, mom was born near there and spoke often of the area. He was a treasure for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom