• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    So I am looking for a 357 revolver. Nothing fancy just home protection for the wife. She is scared of the slide on my 9MMS but loves shooting my single six. I figure a good 357 would work. I know nothing about revolvers but looking for a decent recommendation. Also should I consider a used gun? Not looking to buy anytime soon with all this panic buying.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I really like this:

https://ruger.com/products/sp101/specSheets/5771.html

It is a small frame, so little and/or feminine hands can handle it, but, somehow, my fat paws can too. :shrug: It's got good sights and a 4.2 inch barrel, so you can have some accuracy at the range, too. It's heavy enough to soak up enough recoil for .38sp to be pleasant to shoot, but you always have the option of .357 if things get serious. Being Ruger, it should last for generations.

The only downside is 5 round capacity. They do make a 6 shot version in .327...but you lose some ammo versatility.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    You should definitely consider a used revolver. I have some 50 year old SW 357s that shoot better than new production.

As far as what to buy, if this thread does not give you a boner ideas then revolvers are not for you. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=13670&page=78

There are so many choices, I think you need to decide a budget first. A $2500 1960s Colt Python is a thing of beauty, likely out of range. A decent new production SW 686 is probably going to run you $700. A gently used SW model 29-3 (which shoots like a dream, but its like 40 years old), will run you 600-800, maybe more. Of course, on the lower end there is the Taurus line of revolvers (say a model 66 or 627). You can pick one up used for $400. They are less pretty than SW or Colt, but they are perfectly functional and reliable and totally get the job done. Ruger has an excellent line of revolvers as well.

When you get your dream revolver another thing I would offer is shoot 38special+P. You can shot 38 Special 357. 38 special is softer shooting, they make excellent self defense loads (Federal HST or Hornady Critical Duty) and it has all the stopping power of 9mm.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Used revolvers are usually fine if they're Smiths or Rugers and not completely beat up. I would avoid old Colts even though they are well made because of the tuning needs and the fact replacement parts are no longer made and often scarce or impossible for the old ones. New ones are awesome but man what a wait list.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I have a Colt Police positive 38spl I’m looking to offload. It’s not a 357 but if you’re interested I’d gladly send you pics.

Good condition

Pistol prices in MD never really hit panic prices thanks to the HQL. Only shotguns/HBARS and ammo.

Shoot me a message if interested

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Also, I just want to add - despite what you read on the internet, no one one who busts into your house will argue with a Ruger Single Six. If you think you are going to invaded by 65 clowns, maybe you need an AK 47, you should be looking at rifles. You might upgrade it to a SW model 617 (10 shots of 22lr), which is also a great shooter. Or not. If she shoots it well, six hits with 22lr is better than 7 misses with 357.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    If she likes the single six, a longer barrel SP101 or 4.2 inch GP 100 is not too far off in a double action option. The GP 100 comes in a 7 shot now. A 7 shot 686 is also a great option. I'd definitely try 38 specials first. There are plenty of good self defense loads in 38 special that will get the job done.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    Take a look at the S&W 60 Ladysmith. Another option would be a S&W 66 or 686. My wife loves my 66 and shoots it very well.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    She’s an experienced shooter that would be okay with amuzzle blast, substantial muzzle flash and recoil? If not, nothing wrong with a good mid sized revolver with a 4” barrel, but you might consider 38 special loads, maybe +P. Maybe harder formher tomshoot a doublemaction than a striker fired or single action auto, so practice is called for. Sw mod 19, some of the taurus revolvers get good reviews. Or a sw mod 10 for only 38. Good luck on your search. Hope shencan shoot a few before you buy. Bought my wife 642 years back. Quickly abandoned forma glock 43, and now a p365. She had a hard time shooting it.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    So I am looking for a 357 revolver. Nothing fancy just home protection for the wife. She is scared of the slide on my 9MMS but loves shooting my single six. I figure a good 357 would work. I know nothing about revolvers but looking for a decent recommendation. Also should I consider a used gun? Not looking to buy anytime soon with all this panic buying.

See what fits her grip well.

I think 38 Special is likely perfectly adequate for the majority of home defense situations (as every time that I have seen any recent video, the bad guys run after getting shot at) - and one's hearing is less damaged.

However a 357 revolver gives one the flexibility and the (typically) heavier/sturdier frame makes shooting 38 Special a breeze.

The 3 platforms that I would suggest are ...

1) the Ruger SP101 with 3-inch barrel. It's only a 5-shot, but they are a good blend of sturdy while not overly heavy. 357 loads will pop a bit when shooting them (in case you take for trail defense, in the outdoors, your ears are less subject to damage). But 38 Special won't be bad at all. It is a smaller frame gun. Great value. Used to be able to find them for $450 new on sale. I don't know current pricing.

2) a K-frame Smith & Wesson with a 4-inch barrel. This is a medium frame gun that is a 6-shooter. There are examples that are 38 Special only as well as ones that are chamber in 357 Magnum. You should be able to find a used, in decent condition K-frame S&W for $450 or less that is chambered for 38 Special and has a great trigger. At one time, this was a popular law enforcement carry. One of my favorites in my personal collection is an economical S&W Model 64 (stainless) with 4-inch barrel that I picked up used. It's so reliable and so easy to shoot accurately. The S&W Model 66 Combat Magnum is the K-frame revolver that is chambered in 357 Magnum.

3) a K/L-frame Smith & Wesson with a 4-inch barrel. This is a medium/large frame gun that is available as a 6- or 7-shooter. It is heavier than the S&W K-frame revolvers and has a full underlug. It is slightly lighter than the Ruger equivalent which is the GP100. S&W L-frame models are the 581 (blued), 681 (stainless), 586 (blued), and 686 (stainless). These run a bit pricier, but it is possible to find a used 686 for $500-600 sometimes. Great guns with great triggers. Most IPs will carry and usually have used options.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I'm a Colt guy but I have to say a S&W K-frame is one of the best ways to go. A Model 10 Heavy Barrel may be one of the best values anywhere as a self-defense revolver. Quality...reliable...everything you need and nothing you don't.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I have a Colt Police positive 38spl I’m looking to offload. It’s not a 357 but if you’re interested I’d gladly send you pics.

Good condition

Pistol prices in MD never really hit panic prices thanks to the HQL. Only shotguns/HBARS and ammo.

Shoot me a message if interested

She is NOT going to shoot .357.

Since you're only going to shoot .38 (most LEOs used .38 +P in their .357s back when) there's no point buying a .357 if a good .38 is available.

Look around for a nice police trade in S&W Model 10 (the classic M&P) if you don't go for this Colt.

Cuttyfunk

Dec 17, 2015
    Thanks for all the info. I am definitely thinking that she would shoot 38 spl or 38 +p but if I went 357 it would give it more flexibility and I might learn to enjoy it. I will start with these.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Probably out of your price range now days, but here's how I started out....

S&W Model 17 .22 cal....

0c312d3e080e3d7d43b08df5fcbc78b1.jpg

Then moved into a S&W Model 19 in .357 Mag.....

7e8e2fe296c445cba91d35471601cd37.jpg

With the exception of the sights, white outline rear/red ramp front on the 19, black on the 17 they are identical.....oh yeah, and the size of the hole in the barrel!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I'd agree with most here that a Smith & Wesson in .38 special of some flavor would be a good option. I'd probably say opt for steel frame over an alloy one to minimize felt recoil. Or if you want the .357 flexibility for your own range use, get a 686. S&W also makes a few revolvers in 9mm although they're pricey.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    A way back I was instructing women only and new to shooting handgun classes. In virtually all cases the shooters named their desired arm at the end of the classes. A 4” to 6” medium frame DA revolver shooting 38 special ammunition. Two even chose the same revolver in 22 LR. Smaller guns were harder to control and bite too much. Larger were too heavy. Their words, not mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom