Thoughts on Windham Weaponry Multi-Caliber AR's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland
    If it is purchased as a rifle and kept as a rifle, meeting the stock and barrel length requirements to keep it a rifle, then it should be okay. If you change it to an SBR or pistol it might be an issue.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Pretty neat looking idea... but I have to wonder about the functional reality of it. Seems like a lot of work and parts to carry to a range, then try to swap parts out without dropping them on a live range, all while making sure your gun parts are pointed in a safe direction. Then I have to ask about the cost. Looking at Windham's website, they've got all sorts of stuff related to the MCS. I don't see a single kit where you can buy one package that has everything you need. Then I have to wonder about the accuracy of something that is so easily disassembled.

Seems to me I would rather have a separate AR15, AR9 and AK that all perform well, rather than one gun that can do everything but is likely pretty expensive and maybe not as accurate and I'm likely to drop a part or forget a part when I go to the range.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    You still have to swap optics, or re-zero one optic. And there's a lot of non-standard parts in that package. It looks like you're stuck with their handguard. I'd rather have two rifles that are complete, and made to a standard pattern.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    After the Bushmaster name was sold to Remington and before Windham due to the non-compete clause of the sale they started a company called MGI that developed the multi caliber Hydra rifle as proof of this concept. Very well made rifles but expensive compared to other AR platforms.

Windham shares its' DNA with the original Bushmaster and MGI. This is a very proven system that allows you to tailor your rifle to your mission profile even a multi-mission profile. Windham is just breathing new life into the product.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    What do you guys think of this? It's a Windham Weaponry rifle that has 556, 300 Black, 7.62x39, and 9mm all in one AR system. Course not MD legal, but still curious.

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/firearms/rifles/mutli-caliber-systems/

It certainly is an interesting system. It seems a little expensive, but it I am not sure why you think it is not MD legal. The receiver is not the same as an AR so it cannot be considered an imitation or copy. The receiver is approx half the size since the magwell is not permanently attached.

The quad rail is an old configuration that is no longer popular.

I think the best part about it is that you don't need to have an HBAR to own it in MD.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    After the Bushmaster name was sold to Remington and before Windham due to the non-compete clause of the sale they started a company called MGI that developed the multi caliber Hydra rifle as proof of this concept. Very well made rifles but expensive compared to other AR platforms.

Windham shares its' DNA with the original Bushmaster and MGI. This is a very proven system that allows you to tailor your rifle to your mission profile even a multi-mission profile. Windham is just breathing new life into the product.

I am not sure this is entirely correct.

From https://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=29 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Firearms_International
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/about-us/company-history/

The common DNA is Mack Gwinn. It appears that he started Bushmaster in the early 70s but sold it to Richard Dyke due to bankruptcy by 1976. It is unclear if Gwinn still had some interest in Bushmaster after the sale.

Gwinn then created created another company (MGI, M(ack) G(winn) Industries) and developed this modular rifle.

Bushmaster was eventually sold to Remington, who closed the Windham location. Dyke then started Windham Weaponry at the closed Windham location.

It appears that the two eventually came to some kind of arrangement for Windham to sell the firearm.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I am not sure this is entirely correct.

From https://www.mgi-military.com/index.php?id=29 and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushmaster_Firearms_International
    https://www.windhamweaponry.com/about-us/company-history/

The common DNA is Mack Gwinn. It appears that he started Bushmaster in the early 70s but sold it to Richard Dyke due to bankruptcy by 1976. It is unclear if Gwinn still had some interest in Bushmaster after the sale.

Gwinn then created created another company (MGI, M(ack) G(winn) Industries) and developed this modular rifle.

Bushmaster was eventually sold to Remington, who closed the Windham location. Dyke then started Windham Weaponry at the closed Windham location.

It appears that the two eventually came to some kind of arrangement for Windham to sell the firearm.

Well, I guess the MGI folks I met at a Chantilly show were just bullshitting me.

If Windham is incorporating the Hydra design into their rifles, there must be some connection between Dyke, Gwinn and employees that worked for all 3 companies at one time or another.

Ain’t got a dog in the fight except for my original Bushmaster Heat Dissipator carbine that I love and is my only AR att. But I have had my booger hooks fingering, foundling and firing their rifles and both MGI and Windham build some really excellent shit.

Last edited:

Sirex