• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    For those of you considering DE to retire keep this in the back of your mind. There is no indication as to how this may affect other property owners, and could bite the Plaintiffs in the ass.

Judge rules outdated Delaware tax assessments unconstitutional

Rather than quote pieces of it you're better served to read the whole thing.

https://delawarebusinesstimes.com/news/del-tax-unconstitutional

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    In places that tax is based on what they believe to be current value, the down values don’t keep pace with declines. Like the crush in the late 00’s. and when the did downgrade the values, they increased the rate.

You know, because that’s how .gov rolls.

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    The most disturbing part of this was the government saying "There was no political will to update our tax system" which means the people of the state didn't want to change it.

So the government basically sued the will of the people to take more money from the people against the will of those people.

That sounds dangerously close to taxation without representation and gives the defense, and a couple million homeowners, a pretty solid rebuttal on appeal

Of course at no point did the government consider the economic impact of people with limited means suddenly owing maybe 10 times their current property taxes (not unreasonable at all to think a property has gone up 1000% in dollar value over 40 years)

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Carney wants to partner with Jersey, New York and Mass. A lawyer somewhere will teach the local officials how to spot asses like Pa. and base tax millage off purchase price of the new home. Once the legal dust settles the new normalcy will have already been established. There's ribbons of new homes east of 13 to create the potential windfall environment for certain people. Local politicians will learn to promulgate their officialese and continually prosper.
    Everybody will mostly be non essential once they get the chicken plants closed and no one is farming anymore. Service and gig jobs only.
    Someone else is going to make a mint replacing all the shingles on those places one day because they will have inside angle from DNREC for hazardous disposal. One day household trash will only be able to be collected and disposed of by the right or connected person.
    I can see it happening right now and how things have changed in the last few years. Nobody is local anymore and the south side is getting ruined for the quality of life it once was.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The only real inequity in property taxes in Sussex is that you can have some with a beach or bay mini-mansion paying less the a couple of DINKs paying on their inland tract house in a development.

Now seniors do get a nice retirement break with no School & Library tax after age 65

We're still paying far less on the Lewes house then our Md townhouse.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    I dont know why anyone would want to live in DE. Its growing WAY to fast, and on its way going left really quick.

It's nice for now but we'll probably push on once our daughter is in college in 4 yrs. Too many Philly and NJ retards are moving into the LSD. Gawd, they all seem they can't drive for sh*t and most are obnoxiously loud when they talk in public.

dieselfarmboy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2009
    Snow Hill, MD
    It's nice for now but we'll probably push on once our daughter is in college in 4 yrs. Too many Philly and NJ retards are moving into the LSD. Gawd, they all seem they can't drive for sh*t and most are obnoxiously loud when they talk in public.

Yes, ive watched LSD change big time. Its sad, its just like MD if not even worse cause you have the retired people moving in. I give it a couple more years and I say its done for.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The only real inequity in property taxes in Sussex is that you can have some with a beach or bay mini-mansion paying less the a couple of DINKs paying on their inland tract house in a development.

Now seniors do get a nice retirement break with no School & Library tax after age 65

We're still paying far less on the Lewes house then our Md townhouse.

If you dont mind me asking and your answering where in Lewes?? My wife and I stay at the American INN right behind RBFD Station 2 every time we go to Rehoboth.. She loves to shop at the puzzle store their in Lewes as well.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    If you dont mind me asking and your answering where in Lewes?? My wife and I stay at the American INN right behind RBFD Station 2 every time we go to Rehoboth.. She loves to shop at the puzzle store their in Lewes as well.

The 2nd house is in Angola Beach and Estates. Our daughter goes to Cape Henlopen HS which was a much better alternative to AACPS choices available at our Severn house.

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The 2nd house is in Angola Beach and Estates. Our daughter goes to Cape Henlopen HS which was a much better alternative to AACPS choices available at our Severn house.

My wife and I know where that is and I must say not a bad area at all. I do agree with you CHHS is leaps and bounds ahead of AA public school as well. My wife and I had taken a hard look at the retirement community that was built along that road if you turned right at the traffic light where the entrance is on the left to the high school but they wanted way to much per month..

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    My wife and I know where that is and I must say not a bad area at all. I do agree with you CHHS is leaps and bounds ahead of AA public school as well. My wife and I had taken a hard look at the retirement community that was built along that road if you turned right at the traffic light where the entrance is on the left to the high school but they wanted way to much per month..

Locals call it Cape. ;)

And Indian River HS is called IR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom