• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Can anyone name the different car shooters in the pic below?

From top left ...
    ... to bottom right.

Sorry, no karma prize. :)
    0a05d69414a66d08bb010a182724561e.jpg

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    K frame S&W and a couple of speed loaders. Every lady I have let try mine want to buy them but, they are not for sale. Model 10, 15 or 19 with a 4" barrel.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I would NOT take an inexperienced or not 100% enthusiastic shooter to an indoor range for the purpose of scaring them with magnum shooting. :sad20: Might as well hand them an AR pistol with a muzzle brake and really get them to hate guns.

.38sp only revolvers have their place as either being old timey (nothing wrong with that) or really small (nothing wrong either...although I got the impression that the OP was not looking for CCW). I know there are some modern full size revolvers in .38, and it just seem silly to me when they are more than big enough, especially with 21st century materials, to be .357 :shrug:

Even if you (she) don't (doesn't) want to shoot .357, it's always good to have the option. It also brings confidence, right? If someone is really scared of it, load the first two chambers with .38. If they are in a defensive situation that has not been resolved with two shots of .38, are they really going to notice that the next one is blast-ier? They might even be hoping for it.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    And then there is the remington 870 with an 18” barrel ( but those .38 sp rds will slide down the barrel and not chamber)

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Can anyone name the different car shooters in the pic below?

From top left ...
    ... to bottom right.

Sorry, no karma prize. :)
    0a05d69414a66d08bb010a182724561e.jpg

Your numbering plan is a bit obscure for me, but top left is a Smith model 27 (or pre-27) with the 3.5" barrel; nice grips, BTW. My original magna grips truly suck on this one without some enhancement like a Tyler T-grip. Heavy gun, sort of unbalanced, but I love the look.

Below that are two recent Smiths; no pinning of the barrels - one of the many reasons I prefer the older ones. I can only hope they lack the Hillary holes.

Top right is a Ruger single-action; New Model Blackhawk.

Not sure, but the one below the Ruger might be a Korth, or Manurhin?
    I desperately wanted a 3" Manurhin when Allan's Armory was selling them cheap, but no HQL, so no luck.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Your numbering plan is a bit obscure for me, but top left is a Smith model 27 (or pre-27) with the 3.5" barrel; nice grips, BTW. My original magna grips truly suck on this one without some enhancement like a Tyler T-grip. Heavy gun, sort of unbalanced, but I love the look.

Below that are two recent Smiths; no pinning of the barrels - one of the many reasons I prefer the older ones. I can only hope they lack the Hillary holes.

Top right is a Ruger single-action; New Model Blackhawk.

Not sure, but the one below the Ruger might be a Korth, or Manurhin?
    I desperately wanted a 3" Manurhin when Allan's Armory was selling them cheap, but no HQL, so no luck.

You're good. ;)

Top left is a pre-27. I have the original grips, but liked the look of the newer ones as they set off the graceful bluing of the steel. Love the feel of the turn of the cylinder when shooting it in double action. Slams into place with authority.

Middle left is a relatively new 586. Square butt but with the Hillary hole.

Bottom left is a Talo 686+ with the Hillary hole.

Top right is as you said.

Bottom right is indeed a Manurhin MR73. Newer MR73 grips from Manurhin, but still have the originals.

A few more pics of the same 357 Magnum guns and friends (yeah, and sorry for the thread diversion, Cuttyfunk ... there are too many good options in this category ... let your wife try a few at the range first) ...
    da9352e4144634a5135cb06506361b74.jpg
    f9fc8ab80d5be223b9686aec3928020f.jpg
    e0c2168e285e26fb103a9537bb2ddfd1.jpg
    213a4ad2653a454594c2670e0c6ae224.jpg
    6d462ba29d1daa4a382c74e9718aca3e.jpg

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    For years, I recommended the S&W 13, the best drawer gun $$$ could buy. It was (to me) as beautiful and well made as a Colt Python. The wood stocks felt very solid and reminded me of the wood on my Browning Hi-Power. I'm sorry S&W stopped making it.

If you ever get a chance to get one, it is a fantabulous gun! A close runner up is the stainless steel Ruger Security-Six (bellow). It, too, is a .357 mag revolver, and technically it's better than the aforementioned Model 13. I just loved the look and feel of the 13.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    Well, you are half right. It was designed for the FBI to go back in time and shoot through cars. 357 is pretty powerful!!

To do this, one needs the FBI street load that generates 1.21 gigawatts.

OMCHamlin

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    May 17, 2017
    The Cumberland Plateau
    The LCRx w/3" barrel might be worth getting her hands on as well.

No, at least not the .357, they are a handful! I have one, and I've shot quite a few 357s through it, but if someone is recoil sensitive, 38s only. It does carry like a dream though, and after I had Ruger send me a front sight from their .22 LCRx version, it hits to point of aim without the rear sight being cranked up way past being stable in it's mount.
    Actually, the slight extra weight of the LCRx 357 3" MIGHT just be the best compromise for her with 38s or 38 +Ps, and retaining full punisher capability for you, OP!

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I agree with what others have said. SP101 is a great choice IMO. Overbuilt and all steel. I never understood why they market these lightweight aluminum revolvers to women, or even men for that matter. They serve a purpose but they are not for noobs or the recoil sensitive.

That being said, my pick would be a S&W Model 29. Steel construction and was also the first revolver offered in stainless steel. It's only a 5 shot, but I think it's the classic compact revolver. A S&W 629 is also a good choice but might be a little on the larger size similar to a Ruger GP100.

randyho

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 21, 2009
    Not His Happy Place
    Actually, the slight extra weight of the LCRx 357 3" MIGHT just be the best compromise for her with 38s or 38 +Ps, and retaining full punisher capability for you, OP!
    That's what I was thinking but neglected to mention. I have a colt cobra that is no fun to shoot 38's from. I get it.

rcreynolds

Nov 4, 2015
    Defense hand gun

Make it a short barreled double action revolver. A 357 may be a bit much, go with a 38 special as it's easier to control, ammo is affordable to practice with and would still "hurt" a lot.

deputyG23

Oct 8, 2017
    4” S&W M10 or 64 for the win when you figure availability and cost.
    3” versions and .357 M13/65 models are usually much more expensive and harder to find.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    So I am looking for a 357 revolver. Nothing fancy just home protection for the wife. She is scared of the slide on my 9MMS but loves shooting my single six. I figure a good 357 would work. I know nothing about revolvers but looking for a decent recommendation. Also should I consider a used gun? Not looking to buy anytime soon with all this panic buying.

I'm a big fan of the S&W 686 and wheel guns for home defense...
    You never have a fail to feed, or a magazine spring go south from sitting loaded too long.
    muliple lengths are available
    https://www.smith-wesson.com/search/node/686

S&W is still an American Owned Company 100% Made In USA with 100% Made In USA Materials & Resources by Americans!

and budsgunshop.com usually has them, if they don't put the one you like that shows out of stock and request a in stock product notification. They get stuff in everyday, even now during this crazyness.

I've been doing business with Bud's over 10 years.

AND of course with a .357 wheel gun you can run .38 Special, .38 Special +p and .357 Magnum loads, so it gives you lots of options for loads to find the one she likes best, start light and work your way up with over the counter loads.

Also heavier is better, when it comes to felt recoil.
    Those light weight, airlites and others are horrendous to shoot magnums & large calibers through.

Shot placement matters most.

Last edited:

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    For HD/SD, nobody is going to fill their wheel with 357 or 38+P+

You're probably going to 38 +P in a nice JHP that will expand into a nice, consistent death daisy pattern upon pernetration of the perp or one of the surrounding walls.

So a Snubbie (3" or less) would be fine if it she likes the grip, feel and heft of the revolver. My suggestion if for a nice set of Crimson Trace grips so she can paint her target with the laser and know where the shot is going to land. Saves time and fustration on teaching her to use the front site or point shooting under stress and possible low light conditions. After using the laser for awhile then point shooting is just going to come naturally to her.

If she hasn't read any of Pat Quigley's books, I strongly recommend she does to help get her headspace timing adjusted to women's SD in our modern times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom