Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Preppers
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 21st, 2020, 10:50 PM #1
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Radio code plugs

With many people buying GMRS and ham radios with little experience with them, it may be helpful if some us with more experience share some regionally useful code plugs of the local repeaters and calling frequencies.

"Code plug" is the radio programming lingo for the computer file with all the settings for a 2 way radio that can be downloaded from a computer or laptop to a radio so you don't have to manually enter each character from the radio's keypad buttons - which can be tedious with some radios.

For the radios that can be programmed to receive other VHF like marine, air traffic, MURS etc, adding them for prepper monitoring would probably be popular as well. I know some radios even have a feature for preprogrammed NOAA weather frequencies; these could be added to radios that don't come preprogrammed.

The radios I have use .img .dat .icf and .rdf file extensions for their program plugs. These aren't directly attachable on posts here, but I think we may be able to compress and upload them as .zip files that can be attached here.

I'm certain the most popular code plugs will be for the dual band Baofeng and BTechs

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM #2

Sounds like a great idea to me. I just purchased the Baofeng UV-5R and without too much difficulty I managed to download and use the CHIRP program to upload some NOAA codes to the radio. I can listen to the NOAA weather forecast for the DC metro area now.

Iím thinking about studying to get the lowest level amateur radio license - the Technician level I think they call it.

BTW, I live in Maryland, frequent the Richmond, Va area and also vacation in the outer banks, NC area. I was surprised looking at the OBX area at the number of repeaters. Man, they really have the OBX area covered. Actually, NC in general seems to have a lot of repeaters.
HokieKev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM #3

Location: In Comminuest Monkey Cnty,In the NON Free state of Marylandstine

Location: In Comminuest Monkey Cnty,In the NON Free state of Marylandstine
And then their are some of us who have been working with mother motorola codeplugs,BK/RELM radio codeplugs,EFJohnson 5100,5300 and the viking radio codeplugs,and Harris Radio codeplugs as well. It goes without saying working with software for these kinds of radios is on a whole different level altogether as well. Hint, the software and radios are not cheap at all.
motorcoachdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM #4
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

I'm working on Yeasu FT-7800, Icom 880H and FT-221, Anytone 578 and Alinco DR-235 code plugs. When Chirp doesn't support a model and you have to use the manufacturer's proprietary software, its like learning a new language with each one.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Old Yesterday, 10:53 AM #5

What about software defined radio? I've had this inkling to play, explore them.
FrankOceanXray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM #6
HVAC Expert

HVAC Expert

Different bird. Not as much a prepper thing as it is internet dependent. Discussion of it would be in its own thread in the Water Cooler.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 PM #7

Iíve got a standard code plug I use in all handhelds. Typical Baofengs have I believe 128 programmable slots. I loosely group them as follows and print out a tiny sticker I keep taped to the inside of the battery compartment for reference if needed. I create channel abbreviations I can recognize the sticker is just a backup.

****As a precaution I block transmission in specific channels where appropriate****

First group - All FRS/GMRS/MURS frequencies

Second Group - All regional county and municipal EMS/Dispatch.

Third Group - National call frequency plus federal FEMA frequencies but Iíve never once heard any traffic here.

Fourth Group - Local TV stations. I can pickup WJZ all the time but sometimes WBAL. I have DC affiliates programmed too.

Fifth Group - Local Repeaters

Sixth Group - Regional NOAA frequencies.

There have been a few times Iíve gone on vacation and Iíve created special code plugs for those areas if we were going to be there for a while.

I was going to share my example with the into class.
Honorable people with a good work ethic and strong character have shaped our communities and nation more so than presidents and congressmen. The crisis of character we see in our political leaders is a symptom of our nation's sickness not the cause for the disease.
ToolAA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM #8

This would be greatly appreciated.

Is licensing even being done right now? I'm one of the new baofeng guys. Have no idea what I'm doing.
randyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM #9
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankOceanXray View Post
What about software defined radio? I've had this inkling to play, explore them.
If you want to check it out on the (mostly) High Frequency side without buying any hardware you can go to: http://www.websdr.org/

and use other people's SDRs around the world, through your browser with a limited funky interface.

For the low end "dongle" type SDRs go to: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/about-rtl-sdr/

Beyond that, you can drop up to $10K on what is essentially an SDR radio although it may not rely on an external general purpose computer. The technology is replacing most of the amateur and commercial transceivers at least on the receiver side (for now).

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.Ē - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM #10
Purity of Essence

Purity of Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyho View Post
This would be greatly appreciated.

Is licensing even being done right now? I'm one of the new baofeng guys. Have no idea what I'm doing.
Do you mean Amateur licensing?

Yes. Testing is being done but on a limited basis. If you find a test sign up ASAP because there are fewer tests and a back log of people wanting to take them. There is virtual testing but last I looked into it it was one person at a time so that's slower.

You can check out this link for in-person testing: http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-...e-exam-session

From what I have seen the Ft. Washington club has been doing the most consist job of testing since the Chinese virus hit. https://www.fwarc.net/

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

ďIf there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.Ē - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!

Last edited by K31; Yesterday at 08:46 PM.
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Preppers