Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 21st, 2020, 09:33 AM #1
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

45 LC entry questions

I have never bothered reloading and most of my shooting is black powder. Since my wife has started shooting I am starting to move from 44 cap and ball to 45LC. Just absolutely shocked at the prices. With buying BP, caps and making my own wads and casting balls, I guess I have been a bit sheltered.

Anyways, I will never be reloading as you all might. I am a hunter first and shooting is only don;t to make sure I am effective. I do not shoot as a hobby. I shoot my rifles to be sure I can kill game and pistols in case I ever need to defend the home, that is all.

I was considering the Lee 90263 classic loader kit and hand loading them. I had not really wanted to invest in press to just reload one cartridge. I am sure in an afternoon I could easily set 200 and last me a year. A press would just waste work bench space for me. Any problems with this?

Also, how about casing a 452 bullet and not sizing it?
Archeryrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 09:51 AM #2

.452 is the correct size so I don’t think you need to size it. LEE loader will work for your needs. I would add one tool, and that would be the LEE hand priming kit so you can prime cases ahead of time. I started on a single press for couple calibers, really doesn’t take much room. Found this too.

Old November 21st, 2020, 09:57 AM #3

Casting to size will vary. Not all revolvers have the correct throats size (or even all the same size) and bores may vary some.

Also, what you cast with will vary the final size of the bullet. Pure lead will come out of the same mold at a different weight/size than alloys. So, it may be all fine without sizing or not. Several variables there.

If you have some you have already cast and they are correct for your gun and you can replicate them then you should be fine.

Given how many you seem to be shooting I would slug the gun(s) and simply buy 500 of the right diameter and be done with it.
SAF Life Member
GOA Member
JFPO Member
ohen cepel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 10:02 AM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
I have never bothered reloading and most of my shooting is black powder. Since my wife has started shooting I am starting to move from 44 cap and ball to 45LC. Just absolutely shocked at the prices. With buying BP, caps and making my own wads and casting balls, I guess I have been a bit sheltered.

Anyways, I will never be reloading as you all might. I am a hunter first and shooting is only don;t to make sure I am effective. I do not shoot as a hobby. I shoot my rifles to be sure I can kill game and pistols in case I ever need to defend the home, that is all.

I was considering the Lee 90263 classic loader kit and hand loading them. I had not really wanted to invest in press to just reload one cartridge. I am sure in an afternoon I could easily set 200 and last me a year. A press would just waste work bench space for me. Any problems with this?

Also, how about casing a 452 bullet and not sizing it?
Sounds like your interested in venturing in towards reloading to a certain extent.
I have a friend who hunts all over the continent for all types of game.
He buys specific ammo for the rifle from the builder to suit his purpose and doesn't even think about the cost. I'm astounded at what he pays but versus the cost of the hunt the ammo is an ancillary cost to him that he doesn't worry about absorbing.

I hand load ammo for specific types of rifles I choose to hunt with that are cost prohibitive or not always readily attainable these days because I like to shoot them frequently off season.
Weird stuff like 7.7, 303, 30/40 275 etc. I get savings and satisfaction when game taking happens and enjoyment at the range.

When I want to get it done or haven't tagged out, I use factory offerings for a 270 rifle because its cheaper and easier to manage once you get a little stock pile going on plus, if I happen to have a problem with the rifle I don't have to worry about boutique ammo to keep it in the running.
I keep other rifles that use the same ammo for game taking only.

44 or 35 cal rifle I do batch loading and then supplement as needed just like your describing. After a while you'll have a ton of ammo/components at your disposal.

Maybe someone near you has a press and components to help you out to focus on getting a cartridge inventory together.
Then you can go from there.
If I was near you you could use my stuff and have at it.
Doco Overboard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 11:33 AM #5
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Tough time to start reloading almost everything is out of stock.

The Lee Loader is an easy way to get started I have one for each caliber I own if available:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-45-colt.html

If you want to use dies but don't have bench space Lee makes an inexpensive hand press:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-45-colt.html

Bullet size will vary somewhat with alloy and casting temperature but if you need it Lee also has inexpensive sizing dies, needs a press:
https://leeprecision.com/bullet-szr-punch-.452.html
or
https://leeprecision.com/new-lube-size-kit-.452.html

And for less than MSRP pricing try Natchez Shooters Supply:
https://www.natchezss.com/reloading.html

And don't forget a reloading manual, the Lee manual will have additional dipper measured loads that are not included with the Lee Loader:
https://www.natchezss.com/lee-modern...d-edition.html
Old November 21st, 2020, 12:05 PM #6

The Lee can certainly make good ammo. It just can't do it quickly. If slowly is quick enough for you, then that's all that matters, and all is good for a small investment.

Not sure what you're shooting. Maybe a tight throated Ruger? Maybe a loose Smith 25? Maybe something else. But yeah, can always modify if needed. Maybe try a few .452 and bench some rounds in whatever you're shooting to see how they perform.
Uncle Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 12:53 PM #7
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Duke View Post
Not sure what you're shooting. Maybe a tight throated Ruger? Maybe a loose Smith 25? Maybe something else.
Pietta 1858's and adding a conversion cylinder to a steel one and probably buying a steel sheriff to add a Kirst Konverter too.
Archeryrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 12:59 PM #8
American Patriot

American Patriot

I used a Lee tool way back when for the off caliber stuff I loaded. It is slow and measuring with a dipper is not a fine art, but you can do it. I found that slower powder loads gave better consistency since a couple .10's off didn't matter as much as with a faster powder. If you are using it for shooting at 100 yards, you can make ammo good enough to kill deer at 100 yards. 50 yards will give you tighter groups.

Just my .02.

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount of up to and including my life. That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
(credit to a USAF pilot)

For those who gave all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUZHTE1jMXg

Proud Patriot Picket
John from MD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 01:28 PM #9

I started reloading using that Lee Loader. For low volume on a budget it will work fine.

Couple things:
Resizing .45 Colt takes some pounding. I think Lee even calls out it takes more force than other calibers. A little Lee case lube helps some. Itís not that bad though...

Buy the Lee Loader first or search for the powder list (I can take a pic), then buy powder to match the scoop. Of course you can buy the whole Lee scoop set for about 10 bucks. It comes with a chart for most powders.

Not necessarily needed since the scoops tend to measure on the low side but a scale is a good idea.
LRSTC Frequent Shooter Program Member
linkstate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:00 PM #10

You mention casting, if your loading only a couple hundred, better off buying the bullets already casted and sized. Your equipment to cast and all the time to get things consistent will cost you more than the bullets for low volume IMO.

If all you have to do is a couple hundred bullets, you could probably barter for it if you want to keep costs down.
Melnic is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading