Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 21st, 2020, 10:37 PM #31

Wishing to avoid all males. Although I can imagine a womans perspective on other things such as recoil and grip could be helpful too. A big man with big hands has a different perspective than someone with small hands. However, a good instructor should understand that I would hope. With long guns, a woman has first hand experience on what kind of bra to avoid.
Old Yesterday, 07:14 AM #32
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovotny View Post
Wishing to avoid all males. Although I can imagine a womans perspective on other things such as recoil and grip could be helpful too. A big man with big hands has a different perspective than someone with small hands. However, a good instructor should understand that I would hope. With long guns, a woman has first hand experience on what kind of bra to avoid.
That may be true for some, but not all.
If there is a lack of women firearms instructors(and I believe there is), then it's up to women to fix that.

...and as far as big man hands go, I remember a certain date...
Attached Images

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM #33

Sheepdog

Sheepdog

I went back and asked her the question that was raised here. As many have noted, it's the gender of her fellow students that's the bigger concern than the gender of the instructor. She doesn't want a class with men as fellow students because of the "bro" factor as the guys all try to impress the instructor with how much they already know. While the mechanics of shooting are indeed the same for everyone, she wants to ensure that the kind of guns she's handling are more appropriate to a woman. Any of us who've ever taken a smaller person to the range know that you need guns with smaller grips, smaller recoil and you work up from there. She wants an instructor who understands that and isn't going to give her too much handgun and tell her that this caliber is the entry level for self defense, deal with it.

TL;DR- guys can be competitive dumbasses around guns, she doesn't want to deal with that. Her hands are small, she wants to be shown guns which are appropriate.

If you must make a compromise to carry a concealed handgun, compromise on fashion, not the firearm.
joppaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM #34

I know that the AGC would periodically host NRA Women on Target classes. I belive they were put on by Monumental. Someting like that seems perfect.
Member- Maryland Shall Issue
ROLL TIDE!!
rseymorejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM #35
Deplorable Welder

Deplorable Welder

I love that women are wanting to learn , so for that reason there should be an outlet for that . By that i mean women classes with male or female instructors . I think the biggest problem at least this year with the scamdemic is the problem of women in classes are magnified .
We as a gun community need to be thoughtful about this segment of training , hopefully the OP's friend will find a class that fits her needs .

Iron Sharpens Iron
welder516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM #36
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joppaj View Post
I went back and asked her the question that was raised here. As many have noted, it's the gender of her fellow students that's the bigger concern than the gender of the instructor. She doesn't want a class with men as fellow students because of the "bro" factor as the guys all try to impress the instructor with how much they already know. While the mechanics of shooting are indeed the same for everyone, she wants to ensure that the kind of guns she's handling are more appropriate to a woman. Any of us who've ever taken a smaller person to the range know that you need guns with smaller grips, smaller recoil and you work up from there. She wants an instructor who understands that and isn't going to give her too much handgun and tell her that this caliber is the entry level for self defense, deal with it.

TL;DR- guys can be competitive dumbasses around guns, she doesn't want to deal with that. Her hands are small, she wants to be shown guns which are appropriate.
I'll disagree. My small female coworkers carrying and concealing P229s all over the world had no issues.
One female, who you probably know, uses her middle finger for her trigger finger and can probably outshoot most guys here.
I don't subscribe to any of the "disadvantages" women think they have.
Especially when it comes to a home defense situation using, which for the novice, should be a revolver.

Why can't you give her a "5 minute block of instruction"?
I would.
Old Yesterday, 03:42 PM #37
Goggle it Einstein

Goggle it Einstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster229 View Post
I'll disagree. My small female coworkers carrying and concealing P229s all over the world had no issues.
One female, who you probably know, uses her middle finger for her trigger finger and can probably outshoot most guys here.
I don't subscribe to any of the "disadvantages" women think they have.
Especially when it comes to a home defense situation using, which for the novice, should be a revolver.

Why can't you give her a "5 minute block of instruction"?
I would.
True. Daughter can't handle the G43(can anyone?). It's too small for her hands. Prefers the 17.
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM #38
God loves you, I don't.

God loves you, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
True. Daughter can't handle the G43(can anyone?). It's too small for her hands. Prefers the 17.
Well, especially when it could come down to 1 gunshot.
I've taught similar women. We laid down on a tarp on the ground like it was a bed, reached over to grab the gun off "the nightstand" and shot towards the bedroom door (target).

There are certain attack scenarios one should be most worried about.

I'd teach any woman for free in this situation. Learning what to do during the house invasion of more important than marksmanship skills on a range.

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Training and Safety