Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading
Don't Have An Account? Register Here

Join MD Shooters

Old November 21st, 2020, 02:15 PM #11

If you're shooting 200 per year , just buy 500 or 1000 bullets .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:34 PM #12
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksmith101 View Post
Tough time to start reloading almost everything is out of stock.

The Lee Loader is an easy way to get started I have one for each caliber I own if available:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-45-colt.html

If you want to use dies but don't have bench space Lee makes an inexpensive hand press:
https://leeprecision.com/lee-loader-45-colt.html ...
I followed the above path when I started a few weeks ago with 38 Special (and eventually will do 357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and maybe 9mm after I shoot my current factory ammo stocks to generate brass).

I got Lee Classic sets for 38/357, 45 ACP, and 9mm.

I also got the Lee Hand Press with a kit from Midway (out of stock now but can be back ordered) ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131

With their universal deprimer as I had a large bucket of 38 Special brass to prep (generous donation from a Monocacy Pistol Club member).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011183740

I liked the hand press so much (very easy to deprime while watching recorded scientific talks that I was catching up on), that I ordered Lee deluxe carbide die sets for 38/357 and 45 ACP, and made a couple of batches of ammo with just the hand press. One set measuring powders with a digital scale and the other with the Lee dipper set and the very useful card that it comes with. Also got the Frankford priming tool.

Now I backordered a Lee turret press (that my current dies can be used with), an extra turret ring (probably should up this number), and the Lee auto powder loader. I want a throughput of 100-200 rounds per hour (after depriming, uniforming pockets, and cleaning brass) where I might spend a couple hours. This stuff is fun, and Lee makes these incremental upgrades relatively affordable. I think the turret press should be enough to keep me occupied on the reloading end for the year.
Old November 21st, 2020, 02:58 PM #13
piled higher and deeper

piled higher and deeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post

I was considering the Lee 90263 classic loader kit and hand loading them. I had not really wanted to invest in press to just reload one cartridge. I am sure in an afternoon I could easily set 200 and last me a year. A press would just waste work bench space for me. Any problems with this?

If you have the inclination (despite the bench space concerns), get in on this karma ...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=250889
Old November 21st, 2020, 07:44 PM #14
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John from MD View Post
If you are using it for shooting at 100 yards, you can make ammo good enough to kill deer at 100 yards. 50 yards will give you tighter groups.
Pistols John, not lever guns. I have not tried aiming those 8" barrels at deer at 100 yards. I'm a pretty good shot with the 30-30, but I might be exceeding myself trying that shot. Kill deer at 30 yards, sure I'm in for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
You mention casting, if your loading only a couple hundred, better off buying the bullets already casted and sized. Your equipment to cast and all the time to get things consistent will cost you more than the bullets for low volume IMO.
Maybe I should have cross posted in the pepper thread. I would rather make, what I can make. Should I lube the bullets? I have deer and beeswax lube for felt wads.
Archeryrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 07:53 PM #15
Sir meat stuffer

Sir meat stuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelity View Post
I followed the above path when I started a few weeks ago with 38 Special (and eventually will do 357 Magnum, 45 ACP, and maybe 9mm after I shoot my current factory ammo stocks to generate brass).

I got Lee Classic sets for 38/357, 45 ACP, and 9mm.

I also got the Lee Hand Press with a kit from Midway (out of stock now but can be back ordered) ...

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017131

With their universal deprimer as I had a large bucket of 38 Special brass to prep (generous donation from a Monocacy Pistol Club member).

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011183740

I liked the hand press so much (very easy to deprime while watching recorded scientific talks that I was catching up on), that I ordered Lee deluxe carbide die sets for 38/357 and 45 ACP, and made a couple of batches of ammo with just the hand press. One set measuring powders with a digital scale and the other with the Lee dipper set and the very useful card that it comes with. Also got the Frankford priming tool.

Now I backordered a Lee turret press (that my current dies can be used with), an extra turret ring (probably should up this number), and the Lee auto powder loader. I want a throughput of 100-200 rounds per hour (after depriming, uniforming pockets, and cleaning brass) where I might spend a couple hours. This stuff is fun, and Lee makes these incremental upgrades relatively affordable. I think the turret press should be enough to keep me occupied on the reloading end for the year.
I am not against having a press, I just do not want to dump a bunch of money into it to reload just 45LC. Damn, the price of 9mm might make it work having one now.

I have a 12' bench in the garage and a 6' one in the basement. There is just lots of other projects on them. I CAN make room, I just don't want to burn money for one simple cartridge. Now, If I can get a press and dies affordable on a different method. I am all ears for anyone wishing to educate me.
Archeryrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 08:12 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archeryrob View Post
I am not against having a press, I just do not want to dump a bunch of money into it to reload just 45LC. Damn, the price of 9mm might make it work having one now.

I have a 12' bench in the garage and a 6' one in the basement. There is just lots of other projects on them. I CAN make room, I just don't want to burn money for one simple cartridge. Now, If I can get a press and dies affordable on a different method. I am all ears for anyone wishing to educate me.
A basic single stage and die set is around $100-130. Even at regular 45LC prices you can save money within a couple of hundred rounds.
lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2020, 09:02 PM #17

Answer #1 - You can indeed load quality ammo with an original " whack a mole " Lee Loader . Added - But slow

Answer #2 - Casting , and related processes , does not lend as well to absolute minimalism .

It a fine and intriguing hobby in itself . But if you just want to shoot a cpl hundred rounds of conventional lead bullets , just buy them from the wide plethora of commercial sources . Most people who reload with lead bullets buy them .

Added - Ironically said , considering I am gearing up to cast Buckshot , but the dynamics are different .
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:07 AM #18
Grumpy Old Man

Grumpy Old Man

Buy a wack-a-mole and try it to see if you like it. It is the least expensive way to test the waters. That's what I did with a .222 about a half century ago. If you don't like it you are only out a few bucks if you can't sell it in the MDS classifieds for what you paid for it.
Old November 22nd, 2020, 02:24 AM #19
Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks

Beer, Bikes n Boomsticks

If 200rds will last you a year, then I would just buy 200 rds. Yes, .45LC is not cheap.

You will spend more than it is worth on the press, scale, dies and brass cleaning supplies.
The contents of the above post may not be safe for children, expectant mothers, or the elderly. The above post should probably not be taken seriously but should be taken with a quart of whisky. Misuse of the above post may cause rash, infection, joint pain, bleeding gums, car trouble, bad weather, black mold and/or anal seepage.
Boats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2020, 04:50 AM #20

Eh .

Whack a Mole
One can of powder that happens to corespond with dipper
500 commercial cast bullets
500 primers

If you already have 100rd of once fired brass , you're ready to roll for less than cost of 200rd of .45 Colt ammo .

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading