• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    I picked up a RPR a couple weeks ago at 2A Sales and put it through its paces last weekend. I would say the accuracy is just about equal to my Savage mkII TR. I put a bunch of different ammo through it and found that Elay team was the most accurate with sub moa groups at 50 yards. Elay match was also very accurate as well as Midas+. As far as the cheaper ammo goes Aguila standard velocity did ok with just over 1 moa groups.

Just like the Savage, the RPR can’t complete with my tricked out 10/22. I’m really hoping that companies start making true match barrels for the RPR that don’t cost more than the gun itself.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Finally got mine out to the range last weekend. Set this up as a squirrel gun for when things get slow in the deer stand. 30MOA rail is killing me. Got it 0d in at 50yards on the 150yard pin (Nikon Prostaff). Called Ruger customer service, got the runaround. They know this is an issue, but couldn’t provide me with a 0moa rail and they aren’t yet available for sale. Was told they should be available for purchase mid October. Is what it is! Great shooter, nice trigger and got some decent groups with CCI standard velocity and subsonic hollow points.

Attachments

• CDD4361E-B570-487C-89AB-799EC6989AC4.jpg
      CDD4361E-B570-487C-89AB-799EC6989AC4.jpg
      28.4 KB · Views: 674
    • D7FFDE85-9495-4714-B065-EBB45B0DD07A.jpg
      D7FFDE85-9495-4714-B065-EBB45B0DD07A.jpg
      44.1 KB · Views: 513
    • CE119048-8E19-4A8D-9409-735D535F8BF0.jpg
      CE119048-8E19-4A8D-9409-735D535F8BF0.jpg
      23.4 KB · Views: 482

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    I dont know much about precision shooting. What do you mean by a minute of angle rail and base? Is it the "quality" of the mount?

I don’t know a whole lot about it myself. From what I gather, there is 30MOA built in to the rail for long distance shooting. Almost like a wedge instead of flat (0moa). If I was shooting out to 200+ yards, I’m sure it would be beneficial. For a rimfire, I think it’s a bit unnecessary.

When trying to sight it in at AGC, I was shooting over the target frame and at the top of the berm (first few shots). Bottomed out the adjustment on my scope, and was able to dial it in for the 150yard pin at 50 yards. Not a problem, but definitely not a permanent solution.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    There we go that makes sense. It's a mount made to compensate for longer ranges with less adjustment

Yessir! They just build 30MOA into the rail, ships from the factory. At this point in time, from my experience, no way to get a 0MOA rail until they are available for purchase next month.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    I don’t know a whole lot about it myself. From what I gather, there is 30MOA built in to the rail for long distance shooting. Almost like a wedge instead of flat (0moa). If I was shooting out to 200+ yards, I’m sure it would be beneficial. For a rimfire, I think it’s a bit unnecessary.

When trying to sight it in at AGC, I was shooting over the target frame and at the top of the berm (first few shots). Bottomed out the adjustment on my scope, and was able to dial it in for the 150yard pin at 50 yards. Not a problem, but definitely not a permanent solution.
    That’s pretty much the point of the “Precision Rimfire” - precision long range rimfire shooting. Competition, long range varmints, etc... This is not a shooting squirrels at 50 yds rifle. This is for the 300-400 yd rimfire competition matches. Past 200 yds, well 150 really, that 30MOA rail will come in handy. That .22LR drops off remarkably, that sloping rail will help your scope get out there.

Agreed though, it’s tough to work with that elevated rail at close range. The centerfire RPR version has a 20 MOA rail and sighting my .308 @ 100 yds a year ago was bothersome to say the least. Even after bore-sighting I had a hard time getting on paper at 100. I had zero clue where my rounds were going, until I noticed a hole in my 200 yd target that I hadn’t started shooting at yet. Once I figure it out, I was good to go. This old deer hunting rifle shooter learned a thing or two that day.

Now that my RP Rimfire is finally put together, I suppose I’ll have some fun at the range in the near future as well, sighting it in.

AACo

Tiny Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 11, 2015
    Westminster
    Now that my RP Rimfire is finally put together, I suppose I’ll have some fun at the range in the near future as well, sighting it in.

I completely agree. Got a 4-12 with hopes to stretch the distance out, just a little disappointed that they don’t include something for the shorter range days. Would love to use it for hunting out past 100yards, but just trying to get it on paper under 100 was a unique challenge. Hope you enjoy it!

After shooting it, I think it’s just a Ruger American with a few extra features to make it feel “Precision”. For the price, I wasn’t expecting a whole lot more.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    That’s pretty much the point of the “Precision Rimfire” - precision long range rimfire shooting. Competition, long range varmints, etc... This is not a shooting squirrels at 50 yds rifle. This is for the 300-400 yd rimfire competition matches. Past 200 yds, well 150 really, that 30MOA rail will come in handy. That .22LR drops off remarkably, that sloping rail will help your scope get out there.
    The other thing you could do it use a scope with a larger adjustment range such as one with a 30mm tube or larger tube, but of course they cost more also.

Agreed though, it’s tough to work with that elevated rail at close range. The centerfire RPR version has a 20 MOA rail and sighting my .308 @ 100 yds a year ago was bothersome to say the least. Even after bore-sighting I had a hard time getting on paper at 100. I had zero clue where my rounds were going, until I noticed a hole in my 200 yd target that I hadn’t started shooting at yet. Once I figure it out, I was good to go. This old deer hunting rifle shooter learned a thing or two that day.

If you want something for close range that rifle is overkill. That's why it has the 30 MOA offset rail. Heck I built a Remington 597 semi-autos that can shoot .5 MOA inside 100 yards all day long with CCI SV ammo. Probably can do the same with a 10/22 and a serious Kidd barrel.
    On the otherhand the Ruger is likely not a match for a Swiss-made Bleiker rimfire benchrest rifle either. Just depends on what you want to do with it. Peacemaker has the Lapua Practical Rimfire Challenge that requires shots out to as far as 300 yards. The series final is November 3rd. 3 divisions, bolt, semi-auto, and junior.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    As a follow up to my earlier email, I’m still a little disappointed in the overall consistency of this rifle. I have only been able to shoot a very small number of good 5 shot groups with even the really expensive ammo. I always seem to get a flier. I’m curious if the problem may be the bolt riding across the next round in the mag and gouging the bullet. This is just a guess. It also may be some flex in the plastic stock.

I’m seriously considering picking up a green mountain barrel to see if things improve. I can shoot 1/2 MOA all day with the GM barrel on my 10/22.

Swaim13

Jun 11, 2017
    If you are getting 4 shot groups with one flyer, it is likely you doing something slightly different. If you are getting those groups from a 10 22 consistently its probably something small. My guess is that you have a single stage trigger on the 10 22 and a stock two stage trigger on the rp rimfire. Could be that you prefer the single stage more? Could be that you are putting a slight sideways pull on the blade of the trigger?

I know my groups are tighter and more consistent with my rifle with a single stage trigger vs my two stage trigger rifles.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    If you are getting 4 shot groups with one flyer, it is likely you doing something slightly different. If you are getting those groups from a 10 22 consistently its probably something small. My guess is that you have a single stage trigger on the 10 22 and a stock two stage trigger on the rp rimfire. Could be that you prefer the single stage more? Could be that you are putting a slight sideways pull on the blade of the trigger?

I know my groups are tighter and more consistent with my rifle with a single stage trigger vs my two stage trigger rifles.

I should be clear that the fliers that I’m talking about are not severe, just enough to screw up a 1 MOA to 1.5 MOA group with even the best ammo. So it’s not like the groups are overly impressive to begin with out of this thing.

Atrox88

Gold Member
    Jan 7, 2016
    Carroll County
    I just picked up mine today at Gander Outdoors in Chambersburg, PA. It was on my wish list to get one down the road but they had it on sale and I ended up paying $387.59
    I hate when they push the hard sell because I really prefer to pay cash but at 0 interest for 9 months I said f it and bit the hook. I'm a sucker for a deal.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    Figured I'd add my results. Got my RPR a few weeks ago and had a chance to take it out for the first time last Saturday. I like the feel and the groups were ok. 50 yards, Eley 40 gr Target ammo is what I had to put through it. 2-5 mph full value wind.The bolt was pretty sticky for the first 50-60 shots (I am using the full bolt throw length option). Cheek piece is definitely not as sturdy as the daddy RPR but it was also fine. I like that I can keep the physical layout the same between rifles.

Scope is a 2.5-10 Vortex Viper PST. Vortex medium rings as I recall.

I did my initial zero by looking through the barrel and adjusting the scope. The Vortex had enough travel to get a solid zero. You can see that the first shot was aimed at the lower right target and seemed to be dialed in pretty well.

The smallest group was 5 shots and when I saw there were no fliers I moved on the the next target. All the rest are 10 shot groups.

I'll try with other ammo as I have time.

I really like that I can get behind this little guy and blow as much ammo as I want without worrying about the cost and time it took me to make every round... Could just be my new favorite rifle.

P.S. Big hole is a Hornady SST 2000 fps sabot shotgun slug from my MD managed hunt qualification practice. Gonna have to get something lighter. That damned thing HURT after 8 rounds. Forget buck fever, I'm tearing up just thinking about pulling that trigger again. :D

Attachments

• 1stTarget.jpg
      1stTarget.jpg
      86.3 KB · Views: 425
    • 2ndTarget.jpg
      2ndTarget.jpg
      88.1 KB · Views: 434

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I let our 12yo test our rifles. CCI Mini-mag

Attachments

• lucas50.jpg
      lucas50.jpg
      72.3 KB · Views: 381

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    So, did the 12 year old want to give it back?

Q

Nice groups.

The rifle is on HIS wall.. LOL

Jen, Liz .. the bolt is locked away.. Of course they have no idea what that means.

He'd been bugging me for many months, "we need this rifle". It is setup for him. He had a good time with all the adjustments. He's actually a bit hard to drag to the range. His sister will not shoot any longer, and he liked to shoot with her.

Elite has a camera on the 100yd target. It was wild watching it, hearing the shot, then waiting for the hole.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Can't shoot it without the bolt.

My 11 yr old likes shooting it (photo in the otherwise RPR scope ring thread). Groupings not as well, but he's learning the whole integrated act of shooting.

Q

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Can't shoot it without the bolt.

My 11 yr old likes shooting it (photo in the otherwise RPR scope ring thread). Groupings not as well, but he's learning the whole integrated act of shooting.

Q

Wait for at 1:30

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    LOL, I guess those high school JROTC classes didn't go to waste. We actually had the projectors for them. Most of my high school rifle team instructors were either military or competitive shooters.

Q

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom