• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    I do not know what that annoying button is that you have to press on a pump shotgun. It defeats the whole purpose of speed. I have to constantly rehearse as to where that stupid button is to rack another round.
    Any shotguns without it. Any way to disable it. Thanks guys

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    The slide bar release button, like on the Rem 870, only needs to be pushed once. To chamber the first shell.

Then it's pull the trigger and pump the action and pull the trigger as fast as you can.

You don't have to push the release button every time you rack the forearm back and forth.

If you chamber a shell and don't pull the trigger, then you will have to push the release button again to pump the action. The way to disable the button is to pull the trigger.

PS: Which shotgun did you purchase?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    If the action doesn't unlock after you fire a pump shotgun, it's defective.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    WTF? SMH. Don't practice gun skills indoors with live ammo... get some 12ga snap caps, practice empty, or go to the range and practice with live ammo. Did you find any low penetrating 7.62X54R ammo OP?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, that button is for racking the slide while there is (theoretically) a round in the chamber. It's designed to prevent you from ejecting a live cartridge unless you intend to, and to prevent the opening of the breech prior to the pressure dropping enough to make it safe to do so when firing thereby preventing it from firing out of battery. It should automatically disable once a round is fired, or the hammer/striker is dropped (eg, pulling the trigger). It's been present on virtually all pump actions since the 1897 IIRC. You shouldn't have to depress it to rack another round after firing one.

Disabling it would be extremely dangerous to the shooter by the way. As you generally grip the pump and pull it rearward when shouldering the arm. Doing so would cause you to fire out of battery if the slide release is disabled.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    I keep my home defense shotgun hanging muzzle down with the action closed, the safety off and the trigger pulled. I have six shells in a carrier mounted to the receiver. If I need it in an emergency, I simply pull the hand guard to open the action, load the first shell and close the action. This allows me to load the other 5 in the magazine tube as I make my way toward the disturbance and I am ready to go.

I do not keep it loaded because of the constant pressure on the magazine spring. I try to store all of my weapons with the springs under as little stress as possible.

I never have to contact the release button with this method.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County

I do not keep it loaded because of the constant pressure on the magazine spring. I try to store all of my weapons with the springs under as little stress as possible.

Balderdash.

Springs are designed to be compressed. No harm will come from keeping magazines loaded.

"A gun that ain't loaded and cocked ain't good for nothin'!" - Rooster Cogburn.

wilcam47

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2008
    Changed zip code
    59937187804ce8323494db142aeaccc1--meme-meme-will-you-press-the-button.jpg

:innocent0

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    On my shotgun, after checking to make sure it is unloaded:

1) pull the trigger

2) load the tube

3) put in safe

That way when needed I can rack (without needing to push the button) and it is ready to fire.

If you don't want to have to rack when needed, put one in the pipe and put on the safety.

Unless you are unloading the shotgun, you should not need to ever push the button.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    And ... I keep ( semi-ready) shotguns , chamber empty , trigger NOT pulled .

I know how to use a slide release , I don't like slides/ bolts moving from gravity or inertia ( yes smooth , well broken in shotguns will move themselves ). And extra layer of defense if unauthorized person of minimal knowledge gets hands on it .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I keep my home defense shotgun hanging muzzle down with the action closed, the safety off and the trigger pulled. I have six shells in a carrier mounted to the receiver. If I need it in an emergency, I simply pull the hand guard to open the action, load the first shell and close the action. This allows me to load the other 5 in the magazine tube as I make my way toward the disturbance and I am ready to go.

Whether it's a pistol, rifle, or shotgun, constant pressure on a magazine spring does not weaken it, continual cycling does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    IIRC, the Benelli M3 and Tristar Tec 12 (which is a clone of the M3) do not lock the pump. Whether this is really what you want is a different question.

I will agree with the crowd that the problem becomes somewhat negligible once you've gotten better with the gun, though.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I do not know what that annoying button is that you have to press on a pump shotgun. It defeats the whole purpose of speed. I have to constantly rehearse as to where that stupid button is to rack another round.

It's one of a couple safety features most all modern pumps have. Really easy to short stroke/fail to completely lock in battery, or move the forend back a little just before firing, either would leave the locking lug at least partially disengaged, and have a high likeliehood of the gun blowing apart. It is part of the action bar lock that prevents that from happening. Good news is that as soon as the hammer falls, the action bar is unlocked and you are free to rack in another shell, so don't use it often when running the gun, only to empty the chamber or change loads, or to open it up after closing an empty chamber. As far as staging a shotgun for defensive use, you generally have low capacity anyway, so the more the better, chamber a round, safety on, full tube, ghost load an extra if you practice that, and have proven it reliable at the range.

Use weighted dummy rounds to practice loading with, not snap caps, they are not heavy enough to get a realistic "feel", plenty of places to get them from. To competently run a shotgun, you need to spend about as much time practicing loading, if not more than the time you spend firing it, lots of methods, loose rounds, from a saddle, from a vertical caddy, or load 2 / quad load caddies, single emergency loads over or under, loading stacked shells from a vertical caddy, load 2 / quadload from a caddy, learn as many as you can. As far as the mag spring, they wear out, as long and thin as they are, I've had a couple that did get soft when left loaded, but most quality springs will take a set and soften up a little, then stay stable for their life, till they start to soften up quickly right before they break. It's a cheap wear part, and need to be replaced from time to time. I just get universal springs and cut them to size. My competition shotguns get a new mag spring every year, defensive, sporting or "fun" shotguns might go several years, in either case if they feel like they are loading a little too easy, or start to feed sluggish, they get a new spring.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I'm guessing you are new to pump action shotguns and/or don't understand that the button you are referring to recedes on its own and does not need to be manually depressed once the shotgun has been fired. At that point, the forearm is free to operate the action to eject the spent shotshell and chamber a loaded one.

The only time you'd need to keep it manually depressed is if you are unloading the gun by cycling the shells out of the magazine, but there are ways to do that (at least on an 870 there is) where you don't need to cycle the gun to empty it out.

arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Ok i did not realuze you only have to press it to make the first round cycle. I rarely ever fire them I just unload 5 or six shell and have to press it each time. Thanks guys

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

Maintaining a spring under pressure does not stress them.

I have 1911 mags that were loaded for over 15 years that work fine.

CYCLING a spring is what wears it out.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Ok i did not realuze you only have to press it to make the first round cycle. I rarely ever fire them I just unload 5 or six shell and have to press it each time. Thanks guys

It seems you do not know how to load it.

You should not have to press the button to load each shell.

You drop on in the open ejection port, close the slide, safety on.

Then push the shells, one by one, against the loading gate (on the bottom) and forward until they latch. Repeat.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It seems you do not know how to load it.

You should not have to press the button to load each shell.

You drop on in the open ejection port, close the slide, safety on.

Then push the shells, one by one, against the loading gate (on the bottom) and forward until they latch. Repeat.
    Unload - he said he cycled the action to unload the shells from the magazine. That's not how I do it on my 870. I push up the lifter (is that what's it's called?) and release the shells by depressing the catch that holds them in the magazine. It's easier, faster, and not to mention, safer, than cycling the rounds in and out of the chamber to unload it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom